/derail talking about warriors raid roles

Moderator: Officers

Postby Baromen » Wed May 17, 2006 12:51 pm

Oerin wrote:I don't know why I clicked on this thread. I didn't want to read it.

I dont' know why you clicked it either :banana

:punch: <--click me-->:-({|=
Baromen
Lurker

Postby Toisrus » Fri May 19, 2006 4:02 pm

It sounds to me that the real issue here is the setting of one's expectation. If you have expectations that are unrealistic, frustration is bound to arise. For example, as an enchanter, I love to mez and do crowd control. In TF, the primary method of crowd control is to tank mez and chanter mez is employed as a second option if tank mezing won't work. Thus, chanters go along on many raids as buffers and adding a bit of dps. So, I just adjust my expectations and have fun.

Believe me, Baromen, I understand your desire to play to the optimum of your character. I've been there and there is a lot to be said for the fun when things go "perfect." And there are plenty of opportunities in EQ to have that kind of fun. However, in social undertakings involving 30-72 people, the opportunities to play "on the edge" or to "push the envelope" are more rare. There are still those times when one person can feel they are a major factor, or even be the savior of a raid wipe. But that is rare without being super uber equipped. Most of the time, I get my enjoyment from being part of a fun group of people and a well functioning raid machine. That is the most that I can expect from most TF raids.
Toisrus

Postby Baromen » Fri May 19, 2006 4:07 pm

it's not being the center of attention and pushing the envelope all the time, it's just being called upon once and a while.

Baromen
Lurker

well

Postby bill » Fri May 19, 2006 4:12 pm

I saw you getting some good use last night as a punching bag for the master of hate =)
bill

Postby Baromen » Fri May 19, 2006 5:04 pm

I TANKED VEROK AND LIVED!

I don't know if it's awareness or the fact that I'm getting better, but I've been quite happy the past few raids :banana

Baromen
Lurker

Postby Serano » Fri May 19, 2006 6:11 pm

and then some events can not be beaten with TF tactics without mezzing i.e. Rathe council.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Toisrus » Mon May 22, 2006 11:23 am

Mezzing the Rathe Council made it worthwhile to be a chanter. I wish we had more raids that required that kind of crowd control.
Toisrus

Postby Xanaii » Tue May 23, 2006 5:45 pm

I am posting for Xerasta on this one just because she constantly complains on how the new content is practically worthless for chanters in our current experiences since being back. Now albeit we have not done much in any of the DoD zones or missions, so I can't say much about that. Are chanters needed much there?

But definitely on the raids we're doing chanters are on the back burner, even more so then warrior I would sadly have to say, yet still way more useful :twisted . Well, maybe just for me >.^ .

Now that we're lvl 70 and we CAN meztank things and have clerics, druids, shamans and hell even paladins to heal them all. There's no need for mezzes, and when the chanters do mez, gets broke time and time again. My wife being a chanter I have learned to use non-DD line of aggro spells almost 100% of the time, I.E.- lvl 67 Terror of Discord. lvl 9 Fear. And it's so damn simple for an SK or paladin to just keep attack off target a mob, stun it with no dmg or use the spells as an SK I just listed and turn your back on the mob so you don't riposte by accident as a mez is landed but, these are all old skool tactics when they were needed.

They aren't anymore, and all I can do is hope we can get some serious mez worthy tasks up ahead of our times cause I am tired of her slacking, and getting up to get a quick drink during a raid and glancing at her screen and seeing her FM, just standing around, either filing her nails, doing her mascara or chatting it up with some guys in tells ( NOT an exageration! Sorry baby :razz ).

I think we should do a Rathe Council event just to make her swear :twisted . Would be worth it

This was her after our last Rathe Council, oh so many years ago :banging:
"Back in the old days we had to run around Shady Swashbuckler in cloth armor, barefooted, being trained both ways, to max our Sense Heading."

Hope Guides Us. Pain Binds Us. Truth Reminds Us.
Xanaii

Re: well

Postby Criploc » Tue May 23, 2006 7:19 pm

bill wrote:The only time another warrior gets work is when 1 dies. Normally guilds will compensate this by switching tanks mid-fight.

However, we seem to just power through stuff that ppl told me were impossible without tank rotations. (/wave Criploc)

I just stopped in and read this. Now you know I never said that it was impossible to do anything without tank rotations. What I did say was this....

Most of the wipes we had encountered had to do with the fact that many times only a MT had been called, sometimes a SA. But what happens after the SA goes down? A wipe could have been prevented most times by simply instructing a larger tank order so raid knows which tanks are next in line after SA to step up and heal. The remaining tanks would know their position and the healers would know who to target and wipes would have been mostly nil.
Sure you could say, "well after the SA goes down you tanks need to just step up and aggro and call for healers to target you etc etc. But by the time tank calls that and by the time healers have you targeted, you're already dead. Rinse and repeat with the next tank and the next after him.

Its alot more organized going in with tanks knowing what order they need to step up when the time comes and those times come often. Ive played Crip for over 5 years and I know from experience that most of the wipes that I had been a part of came due to the fact that the raid had no idea which tank to target next after MT/SA went down. And even if a tank is alert enough just to step up and grab aggro(like I would attempt many times) and call out to healers to target him, many times he is normally dead by the time healers realize which tank has stepped up.

But what do I know, im just a horse trainer. /shrug :banana
Criploc

Postby Serano » Wed May 24, 2006 3:11 am

oh one thing is for sure - TF doesnt' do EQ like a science. There are ways to play better and we work on it - but in the end - we are not pro gamers - we do have fun tho.

If we could hire a pro gamer Raid leader that could abide by our carebear playstyle rules - that would be great -but most of those guys dont want to wonder which of the 150 raiders is going to randomly log on that night.
Serano
Officer

Postby Xanaii » Wed May 24, 2006 6:03 pm

lmao Serano.

If the job gets DONE. Than it gets DONE. And that's what the goal is.

I am somewhat of a perfectionist/efficiency freak. But even when it's done and over and acomplished I feel no more happy if it was sloppy as hell then if it was done perfectly. Though I might comment on it in my mind, to my wife or if it was horrible, in open chat. :razz . Though I try hard not to, I catch myself sometimes saying things I shouldn't say. I don't want to belittle people. I am more of an asshole to myself than to anyone else....
"Back in the old days we had to run around Shady Swashbuckler in cloth armor, barefooted, being trained both ways, to max our Sense Heading."

Xanaii

Postby Serano » Wed May 24, 2006 7:45 pm

I am looking forward to xanaii led TF raids. Let us know when you are ready to pick up our slack on Friday and Saturday nights. Or let zyzz have a night off on a Tues or Thurs. He is close to losing a lot of game time prior to his wedding and then immediatly thereafter for a spell.
Serano
Officer

Postby Xanaii » Wed May 24, 2006 11:44 pm

I don't know if that's joke or you're serious lmao. And not sure what I want it to be either =P

And on a sidenote. While I was reading this Lia happend to see what I wrote above about doing a Rathe Council event and I literally got slapped.
:cry My ear is still ringing. And just over a dumb game! I hope she doesn't go searching through the RL pictures posts and see what I wrote there.....

Xanaii

Postby Serano » Wed May 24, 2006 11:54 pm

no joking in my last post.
Serano
Officer

Postby Xanaii » Thu May 25, 2006 1:19 am

Ohhh. I'll have to PM Zyzz for rights to some of his Zyzz speak than. :thumbup

Xanaii

PreviousNext

Return to Class Specific Discussion