Restricted biddig on a BoW

All guild policies in one easy place. Know them.

Moderator: Officers

Restrict BoW bidding to warriors only?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 42

Postby Jahras » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:53 pm

The bidding restriction was brought up on this item (and before on the BoC) in efforts to help the guild advance as a whole. It's pretty obvious neither of these would do us any good on a ranger for example heh.

Eventhough this weapon is a two hander, it carries huge agro, don't let that hang you up. And the two hander factor makes a difference when a mob ripostes for 2k damage (and some times chaos claws on top of it). Heh I remember our first trips to RCoD, jumjam pulling out his epic two hander, and waystin pullin gout a shield because that stuff was hurting like hell.

We would hope that people would see who needs an item the most and would bid accordingly, but that doesn't happen quite frequently. One of the major hang ups on DKP is when people plan to leave, and they run around bidding on every item they can possibly equip, we've seen it quite a few times, and I would just hate see this weapon go to someone that will not be able to use it nearly as well as one of our warriors. Some say they earned the dkp, they earned the item, those are just the two trains of thought out there.

Enraging blow is just hard to come by, specialy with our luck on cursed. Hate weapons are essential to warriors like no other class, this kind of item can pretty much take a warrior from poor to excelent agro instantly. If blood frenzy and hategivers were usable by anyone other than warriors, you'd have seen this post when we were breaking into ssra =p
Last edited by Jahras on Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jahras

Highscores: 2

Postby chawpchawp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:54 pm

deal in this case we are talking about 3k+ ripostes as the mobs start getting into the realm of sick dps. The only reason the top tanks on the server use 1handers now is the delay is similar to a 2handed weapon. With the encounters we having (hopefully) coming up, we don't want to see a 4-5k spike in the mobs dps due to ripostes. As tanks we need to hold agro, while taking as little damage as possible to reduce strain on healers. SKs and Pallys generally get less ripostes that wars because of this, making them a desirable tank for some situations, but wars before this single weapon take a good bit more damage because of ripostes. Thank god for our tanking bonuses...
chawpchawp

Solution

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:07 pm

The solution to this is to kill the mob 50 times until everybody gets one. Like we should be doing with SSRA. Nobody is so special and trustworthy to stay in the guild and not have a heart attack tomorrow and die that we need to be giving only certain people shit when there are others who should have the same fair chance to bid on the item.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby chawpchawp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:13 pm

goofy i actually agree with that thought, but as this guild sometimes tends to do...I can just imagine us a couple weeks after our first RZTW kill, with our only BoW in the hands of a non-MT char, and that just makes me sad. We aren't quite solid on our farming of anything yet, much less a far from trivial encounter like this.
chawpchawp

Postby Jahras » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:15 pm

Oh and you ask what other items we might try to restrict in the future

Only one I can think of off the top of my head would be Ifir, Dagger of Fire to rogues. But of course that would entail another poll etc, as democratic as we are.
Jahras

heh

Postby bill » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:17 pm

We gave an enraging blow procing weapon to a recently deguilded warrior for 0DKP. How can we say we are hurting for EB procing weapons when we give them away for 0DKP?
bill

hmm

Postby bill » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:19 pm

I think the real vote is this:

Should the guild be able to restrict what members spend DKP on?

This is a change in policy.
bill

Postby Jahras » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:22 pm

Take a look at who was at that raid, three usable people

Jumjam: one of two people in the guild with a hategiver already
Raolf: app
lilfists: alt
Jahras

Postby chawpchawp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:23 pm

quote goodness from the Allas forum on BoW...

"Am unsure of why this is even a conversation piece. First NO GUILD is stupid enough to pass over Warriors for other classes on this weapon. IF you have Guild Officers doing this ..FIRE them and get new officers. Second After all Warriors have it ..then Pallies and SK . I would use it ..most likely not in raid but in LDON or GoD groups."

"This is the best single sword for a warrior, PERIOD."

"Everyone knows warriors are gonna get it first is there really a point in saying anything else?"

"btw im a shadow knight , and yeah if there is a warrior that is in our guild atm that doesnt have it already they deserve this weapon 10-fold over me or any other knight that might be there ... this weapon is made to get aggro and hold it and yeah we can get other weapons that are just as good if not better and no u dont have to be in time to get them either .. "

"One word! Ripostes!!!!

Dual wielding a pair of low delay 1hs, is a recipe for insta-death against a high level mob with frequent ripostes. "

and about using 1 handers over 2 handers

"Your proc rate takes delay into account (as well as any haste spell/effect you have). If two weapons have the same proc rate modifier, you will get the same (on average) number of procs per minute out of each weapon even if one has twice the delay of the other.

If you want to increase your procs/swing, remove any haste item you're wearing, cancel any haste buff you have, duel a shaman and have get turgur'd. This will reduce the number of swings you make per minute. Since the weapon is gear to generate the same number of procs per minute, you will get a higher proc/swing rate. There was a post about some warriors who used this method in conjunction with an earthshaker (AE damage proc) and rampage to do some AEing in PoFire a while back."

sorry for the spam, but obviously i have strong opinions on the subject matter lol...
chawpchawp

Postby Conan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:25 pm

The solution to this is to kill the mob 50 times until everybody gets one

This exactly proves my point why it will take forever to get anywhere we're gonna hit a ceiling but don't take my word for it hehe.
Cimmerian Warrior 70 Winters
Clan Tribal Fury

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1161561
Conan

Postby chawpchawp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:30 pm

well i said this in a PM and was told i should post it so....

i watched AD go through RZtW from behind Hedorm's (former TFer who moved on, but lived right by me lol) screen. Every single one of their tanks, who had the best shit, immediately dropped their 1handers for this. Watching them raid was an eye opener, seeing their 10-12k tanks' hps ping-ponging up and down...
chawpchawp

Postby Mosrael » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:44 pm

Reading through most people's comments, while many of them are good points, it seems that the gist of it is this: Ok, maybe BoW makes sense, but if we let this happen once, pretty soon we'll be doing god loot!

I disagree. If one item's restriction is enough to bring up a guild-wide debate, we aren't exactly on a slippery slope here. So, that's not a problem if we don't let it become one. Think of this as one isolated issue. Even if you vote yes today, that doesn't mean you can't vote a big NO next time this poll comes our way (and vice versa).

The other problem that people are talking about is tanks getting a BoW and then leaving the guild the next day. Do you honestly think we'd hand out a BoW to some shifty guy that nobody knows who joined last month (not to imply we have someone like that, we don't have any shifty people as far as I know =P)? No. Our top tanks (wars and otherwise) have been with us for years, and we only started moving up the ranks recently. I find it highly doubtful that their master plan, for all this time, was to get a BoW and then hop guilds. This involves some personal reflection on the part of the war- I'd like to think I trust the TF tanks enough to know and admit it if there's a chance they'd retire soon. No, you don't always know, and things come up, but how is a retired top tank with a BoW any worse than a 5k tank with a BoW? If someone who never tanks for us on raids gets it, that doesn't do anything for the guild any more than having a retired tank get it does. It does something for one person.

We are a tribe here, not a crowd of random people who just happen to raid together. Wouldn't we all agree to do something good for the guild rather than for us personally?

Yes, this would require a change in guild policy, but maybe change isn't even the word we are searching for here- maybe the word is adapt. Let's face it, kids, we're on the brink of the big leagues here. When our goals, our raiding style, and our members' attitudes toward EQ are changing, why shouldn't our policy change to reflect that? As you all know, we are a force to be reckoned with. The reason it took us so long to get this far was because that force has not been focused. Focus is exactly what we need- with everything, including loot.

I agree that select items should be given to certain classes, sometimes- I'm not in favor of god loot, but I am able to differentiate between this one piece of loot and every other piece of loot we'll ever get. Our officers are honest people- Jah doesn't have some kind of hidden agenda to hand out every item to beastlords or something. DKP works with 90% of the items in EQ, but in some situations, a war is only as good as his weapons. If we are fighting a difficult encounter, and the clerics get aggro, or the war dies of riposte damage, or any more of the MILLION problems that good weapons help stop, and a ranger is just chilling nearby with his BoW, well...

That's not a pretty picture.
Mosrael

lol

Postby Killonfeelzgood69 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:45 pm

OK, first off Lilfist was NOT my alt at that time. BOTH kiliu and I had officially changed mains to Kiliu and Lilfist. The first raid I was at that a Hategiver dropped at I was flat out told I could not bid on it and to drop out of the bidding, but hey, it worked out for me cause I ended up getting one for free now didn't I. Getting to the issue of "We gave an enraging blow procing weapon to a recently deguilded warrior for 0DKP." I will post THAT under a different subject because I know this post is supposed to be about the BoW issue. and on that subject, Why would ANY other class than warrior and SK need an Anger procing weapon like this? But hey, there is never any God looting/restricting items to certain players now is there..

/rant off

~Kill
Killonfeelzgood69

Postby Uilea » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:47 pm

"Am unsure of why this is even a conversation piece. First NO GUILD is stupid enough to pass over Warriors for other classes on this weapon. IF you have Guild Officers doing this ..FIRE them and get new officers

I agree completely with that quote. Warriors first, then pally/sk.

This is one of the rare instances where bidding needs to be restiricted for the good of the guild. I curse soe for even putting classes other than war on this weapon.

It seems that a lot of people don't realize that this is a weapon that can make or break an encounter. Sure wars can hate aug their weapons, but it's not going to be equal to one with a base proc.
Last edited by Uilea on Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uilea

Postby Killonfeelzgood69 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:50 pm

Sorry, forgot about Pally's too. <3 ya Bilnick and I agree with you 100% on that Uilea
Last edited by Killonfeelzgood69 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Killon Feelzgood~
69 Arch Lich
Death Dealer Extrordinare
Killonfeelzgood69

PreviousNext

Return to Guild Policies