Pet Classes

Moderator: Officers

Pet Classes

Postby phishn00 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:03 pm

Here's the way the mind of a pet works. You tell pet to attack Mob A. If the mob is damaging the pet in any way (whether it be and AE, straight melee or whatever), there is agro in the pet's mind. The pet will of course continue to attack that mob until one of them dies, or you /pethold him (we'll assume that everyone has the aa, it should be near the top of every pet classes list).

Now, say for example, you want the pet to stop attacking Mob A and go hit Mob B. The example I like to use on this is the XTC fight. You send pet on assist call, XTC is ae'ing like his usual self. Then you want the pet to stop and kill the respawns. The pet will not attack anyone other than XTC (because of the agro his ae has generated) unless you either a) suspend the pet, which wipes his memory, b) have the new OoW aa which allows you to tell your pet which target to attack, or c) kill it and make a new one. /pethold and /pet attack respawns isn't going to work.

It's also important to remember that /pethold isn't a memwipe. Say you're setting up for XTC, someone agros him and you get hit with the ae. You're trying to kill the 2 guards before XTC, and you send your pet. Depending on the number of times your pet was hit with the ae, the pet may go after the guards, or may go for XTC himself. Even if he goes for the guards first, XTC will still be on his agro list, and he'll attack immediately upon the death of the guards.

So what's the point of all this? Basically, watch your pet on raids. If you can't see him or the mob he's attacking, it's probably a good idea to kill it. There have been several wipes due to careless pet owners not keeping track of where their pets are. Personally, I usually prefer to keep my pet suspended during plows, and only pull him out when assist is called on bosses. When you look at the dps a pet does on plows, it's fairly insignifant in relation to the raid itself.
phishn00

hmm

Postby bill » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:15 pm

The pet will not attack anyone other than XTC (because of the agro his ae has generated) unless you either a) suspend the pet, which wipes his memory, b) have the new OoW aa which allows you to tell your pet which target to attack, or c) kill it and make a new one. /pethold and /pet attack respawns isn't going to work.

I have a hotkey which is something like:

/pet backoff
/pet hold

I'm not positive right now which one came first, but the combination of the two really makes a huge difference.

With this combo, I can circumvent the OOW pet focus AA. Tho, the pet focus AA's are still quite useful in their own right.

The point is, Invisus is right for the most part, but there are more specific tricks to the pet trade if you seek them out.
bill

Pets

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:20 pm

That basically goes to the general raid rule, control your pets or kill them.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Valkorin » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:52 pm

I pet my pet, and it makes him raid friendly :guitar
"Yeah, I know, it's a game, but I like to play by my own rulze"
Valkorin

Postby Vikk » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:29 pm

What you want is:

/pet hold
/pet back

"pet hold" only puts your pet on "hold" and doesn't wipe the hate list. You need "pet back" to wipe the hate list. While "held" pet may still accumulate hate so you might want to spam "pet back" a few times before sending it to the new target.
Vikk

Postby phishn00 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:47 pm

Aye, both of you are correct assuming the pet is not getting hit. Even after hold and backoff, if the ae continues to hit the pet, and it generates enough agro, the pet will go back to XTC. Try this sometime. Head to DS or somewhere, have your pet fight something, /pethold and backoff when the mob is at 50% or whatever. Then send your pet on another mob. First mob will still be banging on your pet, the pet may reach the second mob or it may swing back and go after the first again. /shrug pets have agro lists just like mobs, and while hold and backoff will wipe it temporarily, if a mob is ae'ing or banging on your pet, you have to watch it.
phishn00

pet hold

Postby dantenx » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:59 pm

I hear people say pet hold in raid, if you got the AA, then you're good, if you have to ask, then you don't got it...

So is there an AA called "pet hold"
or is this talking about animation empathy, because I've had that maxed for months but I've never used /pethold or heard about it except in raids when people say to kill pets and if I don't know then I don't have.

Now I see it shown as /pet hold (with a space)

So maybe I typed it wrong when I tried it out.
Part of the problem with people not making the most out of EQ, is that it has horrible documentation.
I ate thermal paste in kindergarten.

*Cockwave on
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1164750
*Cockwave off
dantenx

Postby Adlewiese » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:40 am

Dan,
Going to post this while it is fresh in my mind. I just lost my ui files from a pc crash the other day. I was going back in and setting up Hot buttons. I made an AA for MGB and all the others I could find. When I finished, I realized I had no Pet hold. So I went looking for it in the various tabs of the Alternate Adavancement Window. When I did find it, there is an (section?), anyway it says: Usage... [/pet hold] in a location where you can look it up "in game" if you need to.
Adlewiese VonTrapp - TFshaman
Adlewiese

Ah!

Postby dantenx » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:03 pm

animation empathy can't be in then. I guess Chanties don't get that.
Let us shed another tear for chanties \=
I ate thermal paste in kindergarten.

*Cockwave on
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1164750
*Cockwave off
dantenx

/pet hold

Postby bill » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:07 am

bill

Postby Meso » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:32 am

If you can't control your pet, but you feel you have to play a pet class . . .
Play a cleric and get yourself a warrior.
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Postby Meso » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:35 am

If you can't see him or the mob he's attacking, it's probably a good idea to kill it. There have been several wipes due to careless pet owners not keeping track of where their pets are

:thumbup AMEN TO THAT !
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Return to Class Specific Discussion