Why monks are....

Moderator: Officers

Why monks are....

Postby Malcore » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:49 am

Ok, so you get a bunch of monks together in RL and what the FUCK do they talk about?

How they pulled XXX and how they split XXX and how they FDed successfully on the mob XXX.

Equip? no
HP? no
DPS? no
how many times FD failed and they pullled the mob to a corner and took the death smiling? yes

/salute TF Monks

(no disrepect, but try playing a class that has been on the SOE shitlist for as long as a monk and feel the burn)

/respect

- Mal
Malcore

Postby Firouna » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:55 am

I hear it just got worse with the monk epic, since the "Lost Disciple" is the 7th Hammer. . then again, I always wanted to do all those trials and fight him. =x
Firouna

Postby Malcore » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:58 pm

Once you start getting used to the idea of being a lost class, nothing aggravates you any more.

Take for instance the fact that the monk epic 1.5 is a 1h HTH item. That will work perfectly with my 2hb staff.

God bless em,
Mal
Malcore

Postby Bilnick » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:08 pm

Seems to me the monk is integral to pulling in raids. I dont think we could have killed all the dragons last night without a monk team splitting and pulling.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby arielyn » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:20 pm

so i guess my bardic skills doesn't apply on ToV eh bil?

Bards and monks. So many deaths, so few appreciations.

LOVE MONKS!!!!

they're just like bards but gimper :)

My Crappy Gear

www.worksinfaith.org
My Sister's non profit organization.
arielyn
Lurker

Postby Ophidion » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:05 pm

Take for instance the fact that the monk epic 1.5 is a 1h HTH item. That will work perfectly with my 2hb staff.

Well, considering later in the game 2 hth items will parse more DPS than the best 2hb /shrug makes sense to me.
Hey everybody! I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt, and my butt smells, and I like to kiss my own butt.
-- Ophidion

http://eq.testmagelo.com/profile/645186
Ophidion
The Retard Patrol

Postby deladriendil » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:03 pm

One day not long ago I had an inspiration to learn all that I could about the lore of the EQ Monk. Why would I do something like that? Well I had this idea of playing a monk in EQ2 and wanted some idea of where they came from even if the two games are going to have conflicting lore.

So I read the monk epic 1.0 and I grimace, the same kind of grimace that I make when I see ophidions big obnoxious signature on these boards. So then I read the Shackle of Tynonium quest and I grimace again. The same kind of grimace I make when I am in the same zone as Venthos. So then I read the Whistling Fists quests and I throw something at my pc in anger. Then I promptly go look at Kunglao's magelo, he has all of these items and I am awed. So I send the dude a PM expressing this.

So then I go do some research on twink gear for a monk cuz hey those quests sound like ass but I can still play around with one for awhile right? Not alot of twink gear out there and the no drop monk gear from Dalnir has less overall stats than the newbie gear for monks. I was sad.

I have a new found respect for you monks as you are truly the lost children of Norrath. Anyone that can do epic 1.0, shackle & fists (which requires the shackle to do so you really have to do shackle twice to have both items) just amazes me. That is some serious freakin dedication.
Deladriendil Megilindir
The Wandering Fier'Dal
PlainsWalker of Tunare
I Used to Live Here but Now I just Visit

Bookat Kittyboo
deladriendil
Lurker

haha

Postby bill » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:02 am

I helped kung with so much of that crapola!
bill

Postby Malcore » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:41 pm

Not sure which hth items you are referring to Oph, but REBB and Zha's are pretty good 2hbs that parse well against things that I know about like Battlefists and others. Course there are several AAs that help the 1h crap, so maybe that's what makes monks go to 1hb "later in the game". And, I am quite sure they are several 1h items that I don't know anything about. I always stuck with the 2hb once i got the SoFW just cause the bigger hits made me feel happier, even if they were slower. Delusion is underrated.

and.. of course.. Kung gets the :thumbup factioning with thousands of bone chips is dedication.

(EDIT - kung told me he did all the work solo.. so.... /shrug)

;)

- Mal
Malcore

hah

Postby bill » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:31 am

solo, hah!

I'll tell kung a thing or two!
bill

Postby Serano » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:40 am

yah I am pretty sure most of the whistling fist stuff is not too rough to solo. Some are a PITA.

But soloing bonechips... hell if a ranger can solo bone chips then so can a monk... well a good monk.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

<^> SoE....

Postby Rasputine » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:39 am

When I started my monk, I had already looked at those 3 quests and told myself that I would do each one of them. Epic 1.0 and I was done.

Too many hours spent camping Raster. Too many hours thinking was it worth it to start a monk after I had started a mage oh so long ago.

IMO monks are still my favorite class. Yes we are gimp, yes we can't duel our way out of a wet paper bag.

As for our 1.5 being a 1hb weapon. I think that will be $$$ if you have in your off hand with another 1hb weapon that has an effect of Mirror III. Can't remember the name of the weapon.

But like Malcore, I usually use my 2hb weapon. Our 2hb weapons will out do any 1hb weapon for dmg over time. I have seen one 2hb weapon on a monk that has better stats then Ssal's & my Stick of Fury. Plus that weapon had 2 effects on it. 1 400 dd proc (ice proc i think) & a 200 dd stun. When I saw that weapon I had to turn back on others hits just to see the dmg out put. My jaw dropped, (at the time I was still low 50's) this monk was putting out regular hits in the mid 500's with the staff and the proc's were insanely common.

So yes, the monk 1.5 epic is worth it, but will more then likely take a back seat to the higher end 2hb weapons.
Rasputine

Postby deladriendil » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:43 am

kurns tower. 7k bone chips. just because this is soloable doesn't put it on the same level as foraging a flower in FV. your attempt at making portions look trivial have failed sir.
deladriendil
Lurker

THREE WEEKS...

Postby Aiela StormReaver » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:52 am

THREE FRIGGING WEEKS, and still counting...

... AND NO FRIGGING RASTER!

About to conclude to forget epic 1.0 for Kelinda. <sigh>
Aiela StormReaver
Paladin of Quellious
Aiela StormReaver

Postby Twofists Ofury » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:13 am

Heh, this post makes me smile. I love my monk, and yes, he is gimp compared to other classes my level. I sit around, tradeskilling, or playing in PoV with peeps 8-10 levels under me with my /lfg tag on for hours.... waiting for that invite that will actually allow me to get reg. exp.

I sat in SolB for 3 weeks straight, waiting for that bastard Tagrin to pop, supposedly less rare then the King.... 8 king kills later, finally, got my item. Then I head to Raster, the monks bane and the most dreaded camp of all... 9 hours straight, and I got him. This is considered pure luck, since some spend 200+ hours on him.

Took me a few weeks to find the iksar betrayer up in Chardok, and killed the Pawbuster right as I entered KC, so overall, very lucky indeed. Meanwhile, the people I used to group with were now 6-7 levels higher then me *cry*.

Then I begin to research the 1.5... and by the looks of it... no long camps!! yay.... just a lot of running around and finding stuff, and then I start to look at the fights... Quigli, Wygrish, 7th hammer!!, and they get worse from here..... Someone is really playing a sick joke... So I have been at the Wygrish fight for 4 months now, not in any hurry, cause I still need 4 more trials to get to the 7th hammer... So... I lay my weary head down, and continue to grind... waiting for that day someone says... hey... wanna do all the PoJ trials?
Twofists Ofury

Next

Return to Class Specific Discussion