Postby Meso » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 pm

Bilnick come back!
And Worff too.
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Re: Everquest is going Free to Play

Postby copulous » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 pm

awesome for me! i finally get to play the game i've always loved on my terms. guess i could have always done so, but didn't want to pay for it anymore :)
Veteran Copulous "DEA" Pendragon
"David Joseph Lopez AKA Kunglao...my best friend and brother...REST IN POWER!!!"
copulous

Postby Jimbop » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:54 am

I read about it going free to play. I was at first intrigued, but then promptly shook my head. Free means I get to still play my characters that I have already created, but my main would be all but useless to play since I would be unable to gain a single AA point due to the fact I have well over 1,000 on it already. What good is playing if I can't improve my character more? I would consider just paying for it again if I had the means to do so, but with barely enough money over top of my bills per month plus a baby on the way, free is the only way I can play.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Ceruis » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:13 am

Roll some new toons. That what I always do when I am bored.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Postby Bilnick » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:27 am

Jimbop wrote:I read about it going free to play. I was at first intrigued, but then promptly shook my head. Free means I get to still play my characters that I have already created, but my main would be all but useless to play since I would be unable to gain a single AA point due to the fact I have well over 1,000 on it already. What good is playing if I can't improve my character more? I would consider just paying for it again if I had the means to do so, but with barely enough money over top of my bills per month plus a baby on the way, free is the only way I can play.

I know it is not free, but you can still buy VoA and level to 95. Supposedly increased AA caps will be available to purchase.

Maybe for established characters like yours, a one time $40 or $50 dollar purchase might give 7 or 8 months of stuff to do, would be better than a $15 monthly sub.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Jimbop » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Bilnick wrote:
Jimbop wrote:I read about it going free to play. I was at first intrigued, but then promptly shook my head. Free means I get to still play my characters that I have already created, but my main would be all but useless to play since I would be unable to gain a single AA point due to the fact I have well over 1,000 on it already. What good is playing if I can't improve my character more? I would consider just paying for it again if I had the means to do so, but with barely enough money over top of my bills per month plus a baby on the way, free is the only way I can play.

I know it is not free, but you can still buy VoA and level to 95. Supposedly increased AA caps will be available to purchase.

Maybe for established characters like yours, a one time $40 or $50 dollar purchase might give 7 or 8 months of stuff to do, would be better than a $15 monthly sub.

Yeah but purchasing is my issue. When it comes between a game and putting food on the table...you know. lol. Until I get my degree done this fall and can get a better job than the crappy $8 an hour one I am at now, my video game budget must remain at $0, which is why I have been running my own private EQ server when I want my fix. The good thing about it is I can run as many bot characters as I need to run in order to do any content I want to do.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby copulous » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm

When i finally got sick of LFG with Cop as my main, i started a BL. he's only at lvl 65 or so with maybe 60 AAs so i'll get some enjoyment out of that. Mostly though, since i've pretty much been away from EQ since WoW launched, it'll be a lot of fun to start completely over again. Loooooooong time since i ran the Karanas or got to thump around in Feerott with an ugly Ogre. Ah, the good ole times. Let's see how long the nastalgia bug lasts :)
Veteran Copulous "DEA" Pendragon
"David Joseph Lopez AKA Kunglao...my best friend and brother...REST IN POWER!!!"
copulous

Postby Serano » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 pm

interesting - doesn't appear I would be able to play Serano if I went Free to Play - as he is not a free to play race

The four free races included with FREE and Silver Memberships are: Human, Erudite, Barbarian and Gnome.

The four free classes included with FREE and Silver Memberships are: Warrior, Cleric, Wizard, and Rogue.

Can't even play either of my clerics as they are both High Elves.

Kooky.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Ceruis » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:31 am

You should be able to play any toon make prior to Feb 28th
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Postby Jimbop » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 am

Serano wrote:interesting - doesn't appear I would be able to play Serano if I went Free to Play - as he is not a free to play race

The four free races included with FREE and Silver Memberships are: Human, Erudite, Barbarian and Gnome.

The four free classes included with FREE and Silver Memberships are: Warrior, Cleric, Wizard, and Rogue.

Can't even play either of my clerics as they are both High Elves.

Kooky.

Like Tarvas said, there is an exception made to allow you to play your character still since it was made prior. You just may not be allowed to gain AA points depending on how many you have.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Serano » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:50 am

Interesting. I will have to read that FAQ a LOT more close.
Serano
Officer

Postby Jimbop » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Serano wrote:Interesting. I will have to read that FAQ a LOT more close.

According to the current setup, my main would be available for me to play, but unable to gain any aa's since I would be well over the cap. I read a part where it said most augments would be considered prestige gear, so I don't know how far they plan on going back in content to tag augments, but that would be rather crummy of them to invalidate practically all of my gear slots when advertising "free to play" and holding my gear hostage instead. I most likely will log on to say hi to people I know that still play, but may not keep playing the game if I don't have the ability to play my character properly.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Bilnick » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:17 pm

I think the higher tier group and raid stuff from SoD on will be prestige. So if Jimbop is 85 with SoF gear there would be plenty for you to do for free. Level to 90, get T1 and/or T2 HoT gear, new spells etc.

I wouldn't really say they are holding your gear hostage, after all you can't even log in as it stands right now, at least you could log in play and do some things to advance your character.

The goal of giving some things away for free is to get you to pay for a subscription or one time purchases.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Serano » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:26 am

Funny thing about the timing - within a few months it was time for me to kill my 2 Subscriptions before August 1 Rolled around. now I still will but don't have to give away my stuff. I do need to read up on bank slots tho before that happens.
Serano
Officer

Next

Return to Open Chat