Technophiles! know how to set up a raid zero as 2nd drive?

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Technophiles! know how to set up a raid zero as 2nd drive?

Postby Serano » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:15 pm

So I don't want to touch my OS as a RAID Zero. But I have two SATA 7200s same make/speed/size I want to set up as a RAID Zero for my Gaming Hard drive. Anyone know about this? When I did research all RAID zeros talked about as the single operating /drive for the system. I don't like to do anything but unbeatable stuff on my OS (C:) drive.

So any ideas or links?
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Re: Technophiles! know how to set up a raid zero as 2nd dri

Postby Worff » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 am

I wouldn't waste my time... first off the drives would have to be formatted to form the single raid 0 array and you'd lose all the data on them. Second, the benefit of performance increase you're looking to see from that in gaming will not be noticable, or just barely noticable (although some desktop apps may see some performance increase)... to me it's not worth the trouble in your scenario.

What I would do is load your OS and the OS's page-file on one drive (C:) and load all your games and apps on the second drive (D:)... this should give you about the best perfomance reachable given read/write speeds of the drives. Note that disk R/W speeds have ALWAYS been a bottleneck for most computers... only way you'll see true performance is from a ram drive hehe.

Just hurry up and install EQ and be happy, unless you want to join Gunny in mambi-pambi land :P
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 am

Better yet, make your C: a solid state drive.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Serano » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Worff wrote:I wouldn't waste my time... first off the drives would have to be formatted to form the single raid 0 array and you'd lose all the data on them. Second, the benefit of performance increase you're looking to see from that in gaming will not be noticable, or just barely noticable (although some desktop apps may see some performance increase)... to me it's not worth the trouble in your scenario.

first off: This is exactly what it means , I didn't have any data on them, and what I want to do.
second, tracking. wanted to try it.

Worff wrote:What I would do is load your OS and the OS's page-file on one drive (C:) and load all your games and apps on the second drive (D:)... this should give you about the best performance reachable given read/write speeds of the drives. Note that disk R/W speeds have ALWAYS been a bottleneck for most computers... only way you'll see true performance is from a ram drive hehe.

thirdly: This is what I always do, and in fact have just done. Wanted to go nerdyer tho.

And fourthly:
My BIOS appears to ony allow all myy drives in raids or none in raid. At least that is what the option/s have led me to believe. I think what I want to do "could" be done on an older board, when/ SATA and RAID were newer, but might not be able to do with this board

fifthly: It is obvious this is the best case and board I have owned even taking into account relative technological inflation. In other words This more user friendly and cutting edge than any thing else I had at the time of purchase. Yet even with the best Manual I have had for a system, it doesn't name the board in the manual.
Serano
Officer

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 am

Why would a company give you a manual that actually explains how to use the item the manual came with? That isn't how things work these days.
Goofydoofy

Postby Worff » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:49 am

Serano wrote:fifthly: It is obvious this is the best case and board I have owned even taking into account relative technological inflation. In other words This more user friendly and cutting edge than any thing else I had at the time of purchase. Yet even with the best Manual I have had for a system, it doesn't name the board in the manual.

Hmm.. I'm sure you already know this but will say it anyway hehe... if the manual or manufacturer's website doesn't specify motherboard make/model with full specs, it should have an etching or sticker on the board itself, then can lookup the factory board specs including bios options.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Jimbop » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Worff wrote:
Serano wrote:fifthly: It is obvious this is the best case and board I have owned even taking into account relative technological inflation. In other words This more user friendly and cutting edge than any thing else I had at the time of purchase. Yet even with the best Manual I have had for a system, it doesn't name the board in the manual.

Hmm.. I'm sure you already know this but will say it anyway hehe... if the manual or manufacturer's website doesn't specify motherboard make/model with full specs, it should have an etching or sticker on the board itself, then can lookup the factory board specs including bios options.

Yep, this is typically the case with any computer you buy pre-made from a manufacturer. They only tell the consumer what they need to know, aka RAM size and speed, processor speed, hard drive, etc. They won't tell you the things like the maximum FSB speed on the motherboard or details like that so you know exactly what you can upgrade that board to down the road. Since I pay attention to details like this, the only type of computer I will buy pre-made is a laptop because it is just way too difficult to find parts to build your own laptop without being more proficient at actually making all the individual parts yourself like the computer casing itself and such. It's not to say that buying a pre-made computer isn't a good thing, because for those that don't necessarily care about those deep details of the machine, a computer built for them with the basic information is fantastic. I guess I am just too much of a techie and want to know exactly what is in my rig.

And as to the RAID 0, I think it really depends on if the BIOS in the motherboard will support it. So far, I have yet to own 2 identical drives to try setting up RAID on any of my computers yet, so I can't say for certain if it is even possible. That being said, I don't think at this point you would gain a whole lot more speed out of setting up RAID 0 being the OS is already on one disk and placing your programs on another disk. Like Worff says, transfer of data off the drives is a huge bottleneck for system speed. We have come quite a ways in improvements, but there is a long way to go before it catches up to even the memory chips, which themselves lag very far behind things like the cache memory speeds.

Goofydoofy wrote:Better yet, make your C: a solid state drive.

I picked up a nifty drive a few weeks ago. My laptop can support dual hard drives. The main one in it was only a 7200 RPM 80Gb hard drive. I set that one as the slave and installed a new main hard drive. It has a 500Gb capacity running at 7200 RPM, but it has 4Gb of solid state drive in it. I paid a bit more for it, but I can tell you I notice a difference in speed. When I am using programs like Qt and Visual Studio (both computer programming designer/compilers) for my college homework, I notice faster compiling speeds than with the previous drive, and considerable increases at that. What took me about a minute to compile before is now taking me about 40-45 seconds on the bigger and more complex programs. Similarly, what took 15-20 seconds to compile now takes around 10 on the not-so-complex compiles. I am very impressed with the performance increase of this drive and now wish it was all solid state.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Serano » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:47 pm

yah I usually never have two of the same drives. Yah- I think I could have done what I wanted with my old computers bios but not thius one.

I mostly wanted to do it to do it since I had the drives and was interested. But based on the BIOS doesn't look like it.
Serano
Officer

Postby Jimbop » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:45 am

Serano wrote:yah I usually never have two of the same drives. Yah- I think I could have done what I wanted with my old computers bios but not thius one.

I mostly wanted to do it to do it since I had the drives and was interested. But based on the BIOS doesn't look like it.

Best I can really say is keep an eye on BIOS updates and see if this feature is added in at some point. If they add this in, they would be sure to make a highlight of a feature like that.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Any modern system should support a RAID set-up and any BIOS should also. You can probably just do some random Google searches on RAID set-up and be able to figure it out. They will probably show you all the connections on the motherboard and everything. I have never set a system up myself using RAID so I can't tell you personally.
Goofydoofy

Postby Serano » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:37 pm

yah I actually did some reasearch before I posted - then after juggling with it - my bios DOES support a RAID but not a RAID and normal.
Serano
Officer

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:16 am

Oh, I see...You trying to mix...Ya, that usually won't work.
Goofydoofy

Return to Open Chat