Bought a new Alienware. Just under $1450
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Re: Finally went crazy~!

Postby Ceruis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Gratz man
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Postby Worff » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Hell yeah $$$ Grats Serano.. glad you will finally have a comp you can enjoy gaming more on :) .. now you just have to login :P
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I could live for 2 months on 1400! Thats not to bad a price for a good computer. Someday I'll make a new one.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Serano » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:16 pm

The reason I am not making a new one is that I literally have NOTHING compatible with a modern computer besides hard drives and I suppose a couple cases. Even the power supplys I have that are still working are lagging behind.

And when I price out parts from scratch - I am not actually saving any $ building them myself. frustrating.
Serano
Officer

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Yea, the day when you actually save money by making it yourself has long passed by. When you can buy a computer for $200, even when its a piece of shit...You can't make one for $200.

I would still make it myself just so I'm sure it is done right and everything is set up exactly how I wanted it.

Plus, if I ever do get a new one, I'll probably end up buying a part here and there for a year until I have what I need to make it. I doubt I'll ever have any kind of real money to drop in one sitting. Life is shit.
Goofydoofy

Postby Jimbop » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Serano wrote:Bought a new Alienware. Just under $1450

Prepare for the Apocalypse, because the world must surely be coming to an end since Serano finally has a computer with current technology inside of it!
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Worff » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Building your own has never really been cheaper, in fact even back to the old days it was more expensive, but you got exactly what you want down to the last detail... which was impossible to get from the proprietary comp makers. It's still tough with the cookie-cutter proprietarys (like Dell, Gateway, and HP)... however these days the companies like Alienware are much more in touch with what people want, so it's not a bad decision at all to get a package deal already assembled from one of these good guys. It wont be down to the last detail but should be close and come with some sort of warranty and tech support.

Hehe to this day though I haven't found a tech support that's really worth a shit... if it's not Computing 101 you may as well be talking to a tree.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Goofydoofy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 am

You are talking to a tree. They are reading responses from the response tree.
Goofydoofy

Postby Jimbop » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:41 pm

Worff wrote:Building your own has never really been cheaper, in fact even back to the old days it was more expensive, but you got exactly what you want down to the last detail... which was impossible to get from the proprietary comp makers. It's still tough with the cookie-cutter proprietarys (like Dell, Gateway, and HP)... however these days the companies like Alienware are much more in touch with what people want, so it's not a bad decision at all to get a package deal already assembled from one of these good guys. It wont be down to the last detail but should be close and come with some sort of warranty and tech support.

Hehe to this day though I haven't found a tech support that's really worth a shit... if it's not Computing 101 you may as well be talking to a tree.

I personally wouldn't go with an Alienware computer anymore, not since Dell outsourced all the competent Alienware people with less competent Dell employees. I bought an Alienware laptop back in 2008 before the full merge of Alienware into Dell (even though Dell owned Alienware before this, they were still treated as just a subsidary and not another Dell line) and since Dell took full control over Alienware I have had nothing but headaches any time I have contacted their tech support over anything at all. The last 3 times I tried using their tech support, they couldn't help me any of them. Dell tech support even told me that the power supply I have is NOT covered under my extended 2 year warranty I bought on this computer! And this is a 180 watt supply for this laptop, so I can't just go to Wal-Mart and buy a new one. One of my good friends used to work in Dell tech support. He told me the percentage of problems with Alienwares before the takeover was minimal, but afterwards there were 3x as many problems with them.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:49 am

If you need phone tech support, you probably shouldn't be using a computer to begin with.
Goofydoofy

Postby Serano » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:32 pm

I guess because it is warranted.
Serano
Officer

Postby Bilnick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:25 am

What are the specs of your new machine? Did you get a pair of new LCDs or you still rockin the CRT?
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 am

CRT kicks ass all over LCDs.
Goofydoofy

Postby Bilnick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

I tend to agree that a CRT has a better picture than any LCD, but I haven't seen a widescreen CRT. The form factor of a LCD monitor is nice too. 23" widescreen 1080p LCD monitors are under $200 now too.

I would like a plasma monitor personally, but I have not seen any plasma displays under 40" or so.
Bilnick
Officer

Next

Return to Open Chat