Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Stonecrush » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 am

Bilnick wrote:
Serano wrote:
Antok wrote:
essentially I consider anyone under 6'1" to be shorter than normal.


ha ha ha?

I don't think the Average world wide height is anywhere near 6'



Here is a good test for a man.

If you know more than 2-3 women taller than you, you are short. If your wife/girlfriend wears heels and is taller than you, then you are short.

I thought the average height for an American man was around 5' 10" or so. Maybe with the infusion of hispanics the average may be dropping.


I am Hispanic and at 6'3 thats not bad... My Cousins are 6'8, 6'7, and the other still growing is 6'5. If you mean Latino then yes..
Stonecrush
Member
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Bilnick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:54 am

What is the difference between hispanic and latino? I assumed both were decendants/immigrants of primarily spanish speaking countries. Mexico, Central America, South America, Spain, Caribbean Islands, etc. In other words, places where Spain colonized in the 1500s and beyond.
User avatar
Bilnick
Officer
 
Posts: 5494
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Saline, Michigan

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Meso » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 am

Umm, one has a green card and the other not??

I dunno about hispanics, but herspanics are kinda Hawt. (until they get old and fat)
Image
User avatar
Meso
Officer
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Virginia
Highscores: 3

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Stonecrush » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Bilnick wrote:What is the difference between hispanic and latino? I assumed both were decendants/immigrants of primarily spanish speaking countries. Mexico, Central America, South America, Spain, Caribbean Islands, etc. In other words, places where Spain colonized in the 1500s and beyond.




Hispanics are from Spain.

Latinos come from Mexico, and South/Central America.

Yes I know the General English definition of Hispanic includes everyone all jumbled together that speaks Spanish. Hispanic is actually based off of the nation that was before Spain similar to the Germanic Tribes in Germany and the Scots of England. Spain spread the language to South America (as well as genetics.). This is where Latinos come in, it is a High bread of Spaniards and Native Tribes.

There is a difference.
Stonecrush
Member
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Meso » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 pm

heh, I just learned something. Dammit, now my brain hurts.
Image
User avatar
Meso
Officer
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Virginia
Highscores: 3

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby bill » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:50 pm

hehe I like how it wasn't hybrid but high bread. Nice.
User avatar
bill
Member
 
Posts: 12079
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:21 pm
Location: Stoneham, MA

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Meso » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:05 pm

that the kind with that "extra" ingredient?
Image
User avatar
Meso
Officer
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Virginia
Highscores: 3

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Serano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Stonecrush wrote:
Bilnick wrote:What is the difference between hispanic and latino? I assumed both were decendants/immigrants of primarily spanish speaking countries. Mexico, Central America, South America, Spain, Caribbean Islands, etc. In other words, places where Spain colonized in the 1500s and beyond.




Hispanics are from Spain.

Latinos come from Mexico, and South/Central America.

Yes I know the General English definition of Hispanic includes everyone all jumbled together that speaks Spanish. Hispanic is actually based off of the nation that was before Spain similar to the Germanic Tribes in Germany and the Scots of England. Spain spread the language to South America (as well as genetics.). This is where Latinos come in, it is a High bread of Spaniards and Native Tribes.

There is a difference.


I think you mean Hispanics are descended from those from Spain. Subtle difference. Latinos are those descended from Spaniards and/or Portuguese.

I think.
User avatar
Serano
Officer
 
Posts: 12840
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:40 am
Location: Victorville, Sunny So Cal.
Highscores: 144

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Jahras » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Serano wrote:I think you mean Hispanics are descended from those from Spain. Subtle difference. Latinos are those descended from Spaniards and/or Portuguese.

I think.


Ditto. The way I've usually seen it presented and self-ascribed is that Hispanic excludes areas that don't primarily speak Spanish, while Latino can sometimes include former Portuguese and even French colonies. For the most part, research and the census relies on people identifying if they think they are Hispanic/Latino or not, but they try to separate it from being related to biology/race and make it about area and culture. Like a Dominican might not have a European gene in their body, but is still going to self-identify as Hispanic and Latino.

The term for mix of Spanish/native American blood is rarely used any more since it's more useful to talk about culture, but it's mestizo. Sometimes more broadly expanded to just mean Euro/American mixed. But term has a rough history and a lot of people take offense to being labeled with it.

Also good to see the tangent fury is still taking threads through the most unexpected topic changes.
Image
User avatar
Jahras
Member
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:20 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Highscores: 2

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Stonecrush » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Glad that people caught my humor lines..

Portuguese aren't Hispanic. Hispanic is a reference to Spanish Language. Portugal is an older Nation (one of the oldest in Europe)..

Generally, Spaniards don't reference themselves as Hispanic.

The people from Europe strictly are considered Hispanic according to what is referenced in the Census by the US. As a side note this year was funny, I just checked next to "White" because that is what the Census told me to do if I am Latino or Hispanic.. That's one way to eliminate a minority! Hah!

Latino is a mix of New World and Old World peoples if you really want to refine it down. Latino did not exist (nor did Hispanic) prior to the United States Existence.

Jahras from what you said you are correct as far as Mestizo's but that is more of a local culture thing in Mexico. It may be thrown around in some other countries but it's not a accepted term to refer to someone.


Most people would not know the difference. For example if you ask a Puerto Rican and they would say yes I am Latino, but if you worded it "Are you Hispanic". You may get a yes.
This is what leads to confusion and where you could say anyone who speaks Spanish and has some descendant that at some point came from a Spanish speaking nation you must be Hispanic.

I would not go up to a Spaniard and call them Latino though. That's almost like a Brit going to Georgia and saying you Yanks...

Something to add: Latino the definition is also a cultural with music, dance, food, incorporating a lot of colors.. Seriously look at the clothing, buildings color is a big deal... etc.

Also for goodness sakes don't be the next ignorant fuck that says hey Cubano you like Tacos... Really? Stop thinking every Hispanic/Latino would eat some spicey food in the corn meal shell! Cubans (and a lot of other Spanish Cultures) Pork, Rice, Beans, Plantains, fried Bananas... Food with spice (but in most cases not hot!)...

Sorry lost my composure there.

In Conclusion...

When you see Latino think Mexico, Central, South America...

Hispanic is more European (European Immigrants moving to Mexico,Central/South America). Not Native...
Stonecrush
Member
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Meso » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:18 pm

I had a bit of a chuckle the other day. I live 20 moles south of DC and there is a huge number of latinos and bunches and bunches of Mexican and Salvadorian restaurants. Anyhow I went to the hot tub at the county pool complex and after was in the locker room changing. In the next cubby i could hear a couple of latinos discussing dinner plans:
"So what are we going to get for dinner tonight?"
"I don't know. Maybe we get some American food."

Heh, never heard it put that way. Would be normal for us to say let's get Mexican, or Italian, or Chinese . .
But really, WTF is American food? Burgers? Steak?
We're such an influx of so many different cultures I never really think of Americans having a food of their own.
One of my favorite local places to eat is an Italian place run by a Mexican.
Image
User avatar
Meso
Officer
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Virginia
Highscores: 3

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Serano » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:49 am

I have heard American food all my life.

And Stone - I think what you said is what I said. I don't think Austin or I said that Portuguese or decadents of them are Hispanic. But I would say that Descendants of Portuguese from the New world are Latino.

But I don't really like The term Latino myself. I mean descendants of those that language came from Latin? That would make Romanians and French Latino? hah hah.
User avatar
Serano
Officer
 
Posts: 12840
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:40 am
Location: Victorville, Sunny So Cal.
Highscores: 144

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Bilnick » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:53 am

Serano wrote:But I don't really like The term Latino myself. I mean descendants of those that language came from Latin? That would make Romanians and French Latino? hah hah.


When you say Romanian do you mean people from Rome/Roman Empire or people from Romania???? :boxing
User avatar
Bilnick
Officer
 
Posts: 5494
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Saline, Michigan

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby bill » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:29 am

Image

Meso was about 20 of these south of DC.

Heh, I'd say about 90% of chinese food in the US isn't really chinese food but just food americans like to think is chinese. Ask a chinese person what they eat in China, it ain't that stuff heh.
User avatar
bill
Member
 
Posts: 12079
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:21 pm
Location: Stoneham, MA

Re: Bilnick's Tribal Fury top 10 (or less) lists

Postby Stonecrush » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am

Serano wrote: And Stone - I think what you said is what I said. I don't think Austin or I said that Portuguese or decadents of them are Hispanic. But I would say that Descendants of Portuguese from the New world are Latino.

But I don't really like The term Latino myself. I mean descendants of those that language came from Latin? That would make Romanians and French Latino? hah hah.



Latin based Languages are as follows. French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese,Catalan, and yes Romanian.
Stonecrush
Member
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: South Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to Open Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest

cron