Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

If you are done with EQ or trying other games - chat about them here.

Moderator: Officers

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Postby bill » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:34 am

So this game went live yesterday for XBLA. $15.

I'm going to start by assuming you've played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. If you haven't, close your browser - turn off your PC - leave work [because come on, you know you're at work right now!] and go play Symphony of the Night.

Anyhow, after you've done that, come back and read this.

Firstly, imagine SotN but with up to 6 players! Equipment is shared and thusly can only be switched out at specific locations like save points instead of on the fly.

Each level has a 30min timer. I played the first level single-player, got to the boss and got rocked.

Started over [die once in single player and you have to start over] but you get to keep everything from each play through. So now you're a bit stronger. Got more gear on trip #2, hit the boss and beat him down significantly harder but alas, he got the best of me again.

Started over as another character, which still has access to all the gear you've found/bought. Yes, I said bought. Rae picked this one to give the game a try but twitch action games aren't exactly her forte.

She got frustrated and handed me the controller of a half dead lady. I think it was Shanoa but I'm not sure. I didn't get to the boss with her before I ran out of health.

The only way to get health back is by finding food, classic.

My impressions of the game from a single player perspective is that you better be ok with dying. If you are, then you may find this game, much like a siren on the wave-breaking rocky shores delivering you unto madness and destruction, calling to you in strange and unfamiliar ways.

As I found, but resisted the call at midnight despite its sweet music.

The point is to have to run through the various chapters more than once. This leaves me really hungering for the multiplayer experience.

If anyone wants to throw down, Rachel and I use BadRae.
bill

Re: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:44 am

WTF is XBLA?
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby bill » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:45 am

heh, if only there was an electronic database of shared information you could access ... =p

and to cater to your laziness, it is an acronym. Further clarification reveals it to stand for xbox live arcade.
bill

Postby Bilnick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:04 am

Hmm...I think I might have Castlevania Symphony for PS1. I should load it to my PSP and give it a whirl. I haven't really played a Castlevania game since the NES days.

What do you think of Hydrothunder, Bill? I just downloaded it last night and my first impressions are very good. Very faithful to the arcade/Dreamcast original.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby bill » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 pm

haha I saw you playing it and I was going to make a serparate thread about that game.

Rae was a HUGE hydro thunder fan back when Midway released the arcade game. I wasn't really into it much but picked up a copy of it for the N64 just to humor her but we still haven't turned that system on in years.

We were initially disappointed at how much you have to replay the same 2 tracks to get things rolling. And it gets lame if you aren't coming in the top 3 consistently.

Granted, I don't have much of a problem doing so, but it really makes you feel like you are completely wasting your time when you come in 4th or worse.

I've tried the local multiplayer and that was a bit more satisfying as all the players are pooling their points and help unlock things for that single player as well as multiplayer file.

As for the Live MP racing, I haven't tried it yet but I bet its fun.

I give that game a resounding thumbs up, but I definitely enjoyed Blur as a superior racing game.

If I had a nickel for each time I asked which button fires rockets while I was playing Hydro Thunder, I'd be rich biotch!
bill

Return to EQ2 and Other games