Where to go from here?

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Where to go from here?

Postby Morikage » Tue May 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Sorry if this comes off weird, but I've been trying to think through some issues with EQ and since my wife is probably tired of listening to me, I thought I would air this out to people who actually have a clue about what goes on with EQ. I've been thinking about weather or not to renew my account this year when it comes due and I find maself having a hard time with the decision. On one had I like hanging out with the guild and doing the raids. I like to explore new content and work on improving my character through gear/AA etc. In general I just like to play EQ. However, on the otherside are some of my long standing gripes about the design of EQ(at a loss for a better way to put this), which seem to be getting more potentent with the last few expansions. Lately it seems that much of the new content is built in such a way that while you can technically enter solo, effectively you must have a GOOD group to do anything. For some this isn't an issue, but for me(and I know alot of this has to do with my playing schedule being weird) it means I hardly ever see the "new" content because I can almost never get a group. I often spend whole days(8-10 hours) playing with LFG on and asking in GU every so often without getting a group because nobody is on/available. Now I can live without being at the front of the line getting access missions done and most of the time I don't even have any particular task I'm trying to accomplish, but spending entire days on your own gets really old really quick and just makes the lack of any targeted progress all the more frustrating. To make things more annoying SoE has recently revamped some of the ranger spells, making it almost impossible to effectively solo some of the zones I have been working lately. So now I find myself playing the same 3-4 zones over and over because that's all I can solo and I find myself asking "is it still worth it to play?". Sorry again for the tyraid, but I feel I needed to get that off my chest and if possible I would like to hear from some of you, just to see what you think.
Your Resident Field Artillery :bazooka:
Morikage.
Morikage

Re: Where to go from here?

Postby Serano » Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 pm

I totally hear you bud. Same thing in my mind a lot. But on the groups. I think you can get groups but it is tough if you don't have the habitual Log on and group group with the same schedule and times you guys like to play. I have been on that forever.

On the content Favoring groups - I have always thought this makes sense. I mean it is a multilayer game. they have a ton of single play games. I would recommend anything by Bethesda. But ultimately - I think the designers figure that most players over 70 have a stable group - because as you have progressed you do it with a group.

But I would figure out who is in similar category of log on times and get in with them.

I do notice that when I really want to get in I can usually latch on to something other peeps think is boring - by sending tells and replacing a box.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed May 12, 2010 7:45 am

I would suggest getting into TFCHAT. TF is not the only guild on the server that you can group with. On the weekends, when I play, I am constantly LFG or asking if anybody is LFG for all kinds of different stuff in TFCHAT. I see others in the channel doing the same thing. Expand yourself beyond your current limits and you will find what you are looking for.

And if you need help getting something done you can't solo, send me a tell. Most stuff can be duoed with a couple mercs and if it can't, I can usually round up some help eventually.
Last edited by Goofydoofy on Thu May 13, 2010 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Ceruis » Wed May 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Goofy lies horribly.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Postby Tarudorm » Wed May 12, 2010 8:11 pm

And tarvas post padds
Tarudorm

Postby Worff » Thu May 13, 2010 8:17 am

Morik I wouldn't cancel EQ, it's something you enjoy... what I'd do is have a backup single-player game for those days there just isn't anything to do in EQ. Serano mentioned any game by Bethesda, I agree. If you like EQ type-themed games you might like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion... Fallout 3 is awesome also, but nothing at all like EQ.

Goofy had some good suggestions also for EQ grouping.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Fnord Shoggothslayer » Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 pm

If you like EQ, but need to play solo, EQ2 works pretty well to fill that niche. Pay via Station Pass and you can can switch back and forth at will.
Fnord Shoggothslayer

Postby Ceruis » Thu May 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Morrowind is a good filler. About the best I've seen for doing quest and such.

Ceruis, Tarvas
Ceruis
Officer

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri May 14, 2010 6:58 am

EQ has its own filler. Its called Gems or LoN or Tradeskills.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Jimbop » Fri May 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Before I quit, I had the same exact problem, except I just boxed with my cleric in the same zones rather than just soloed everything. I had extremely odd play times with college which made me unable to play any type of EQ regularly. I still would have to deal with this since I still do work and college since I am going for my bachelor's degree. I am in between semesters now though and am not taking any classes over the summer, so I am going to enjoy the free time. Not to rain on te parade of this thread, but are there any good single player free games I can latch onto and kill off some of my summer when I am bored and sitting around the house? I would consider turning EQ on for a couple months if I knew I wasn't going to fall back into the same rut of soloing/duoing by myself again.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Worff » Fri May 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Ceruis wrote:Morrowind is a good filler. About the best I've seen for doing quest and such.

Isn't Morrowind the predecessor to Oblivion?
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Ceruis » Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Yes, Eldar Scroll III I believe. Oblivion didn't impress me that much beside graphics.

Ceruis, Tarvas
Ceruis
Officer

Postby Serano » Sat May 15, 2010 2:12 am

D&D online is free. of course that is designed for grouping too - but I bet at lower levels soloable.

But yes, there is some early Elder Scrolls that are free ware I think.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Return to Open Chat