Off to Kansas Thursday - 3 day trip

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Re: Off to Kansas Thursday - 3 day trip

Postby Serano » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Ok found the houses we are interested in.

And the $6500 doesn't work for me because I have not lived in previously owned single home for 5 years straight (60 Months) prior to close. (technically moved 3 times in the last 60 months prior to this purchase going down.

so qualify for no credits - etc - but that wasn't the decision point. THe restrictions are in place to prevent live in investors like me.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Uilea » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Bil - You're spot on. A big part of my issue is location, as well. There's really only two areas where I can buy a house in and have it meet my requirements for distance to downtown and still be a good investment (Park Hill or Tech Center) and both of these areas still have massively inflated price tags. I had been looking at smaller houses under 2k sq ft but once I included bigger houses the prices actually got more reasonable. I put in an offer this morning on a 2,400 sq ft house 20 minutes by bus to downtown with 5 bed and 3 bath. Not bad for a starter home at all! I am hoping this works out.

Ser - That is odd. I understand the requirements but I would have thought since we're still struggling economically they'd look for places to inject cash, and home buyers are definitely a good target. Then again, I don't make the policies.
Uilea

Postby Stonecrush » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 pm

5 bed 3 bath? Thats a lot of furnishing and cleaning... Big houses sound fun until that furniture bill comes in unless it's empty rooms for a while.

Going to build my first home.. Going to stake out a hilly region, look for where water flows (to help avoid flooding) find a nice underground well, find a good sized hill and start cutting out the shape of a house required, poor a foundation (hate doing that what a PITA), then start doing cinder block all around, coat that with water tight sealer. Then the internal structure will have a wood frame. maybe go for a DOME look as the ceiling iside. Toss in some sky lights for natural lighting and channel some mirrior pathways for lighting all around. My heating and cooling costs will be next to nothing once I slam on 2-3 foot of soil and sod ontop. The front of the house will mostly be left open. I'll probably have to go with Propane and propane related products for heat/hotwater/cooking.. I figure I'll find a nice place in central PA for this plan! Oh and for internet, I'll just splice into a fiber line... yeah...

PS... Electricity is np for me too.. I figure I can run it between solar and wind turbines. Maybe find a small stream, divert part of it into a faster fall and put a water wheel on that for the warmer months.

Off the Grid, Off the gov's knowledge (mostly) and outta sight outta mind
Stonecrush

Postby Serano » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Thats a pretty huge house for a first time home buyer. hah hah.
Serano
Officer

Postby Tarudorm » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:48 pm

Stonecrush wrote:5 bed 3 bath? Thats a lot of furnishing and cleaning... Big houses sound fun until that furniture bill comes in unless it's empty rooms for a while.

Going to build my first home.. Going to stake out a hilly region, look for where water flows (to help avoid flooding) find a nice underground well, find a good sized hill and start cutting out the shape of a house required, poor a foundation (hate doing that what a PITA), then start doing cinder block all around, coat that with water tight sealer. Then the internal structure will have a wood frame. maybe go for a DOME look as the ceiling iside. Toss in some sky lights for natural lighting and channel some mirrior pathways for lighting all around. My heating and cooling costs will be next to nothing once I slam on 2-3 foot of soil and sod ontop. The front of the house will mostly be left open. I'll probably have to go with Propane and propane related products for heat/hotwater/cooking.. I figure I'll find a nice place in central PA for this plan! Oh and for internet, I'll just splice into a fiber line... yeah...

PS... Electricity is np for me too.. I figure I can run it between solar and wind turbines. Maybe find a small stream, divert part of it into a faster fall and put a water wheel on that for the warmer months.

Off the Grid, Off the gov's knowledge (mostly) and outta sight outta mind

Sarcasm at its best? :bluejump
Tarudorm

Postby Serano » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:05 pm

nah - he is serious - he wants to escape it all.
Serano
Officer

Postby Uilea » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

I know, I have no idea what to do with this much house! But I imagine I'll accumulate crap in no time. You may see me on the next episode of hoarders. :p
Uilea

Postby Meso » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 pm

roommates? bordello?
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Postby Stonecrush » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:23 am

Serano wrote:nah - he is serious - he wants to escape it all.

ROFL <3 how Serano knows me..

Hoarders eh? That a show with a lot of books and women in scandalous clothing?

My Mother buys to much crap and hoards it upstairs in her house. I have to help her remove crap once every 3 years of so. Some of it was used once or twice "But it was such a good deal!"... *sigh* golden rule of shopping, look at the item you want, then wander around a while (an hour or three) and see if you still want that item.. If you do then most likely you'll actually use that item as opposed to it sitting in the attic of your house and have your strapping young lad of a son come over and pick up said crap and take it to a donation center.. My Mom could keep the economy going for another 10 years at least...
Stonecrush

Postby Serano » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Oh god no, that is a terrible way to shop.

The way you shop is to figure out something you are missing in life, see how you like living without it for 2 weeks after you identify the need. If you survive those 2 weeks and don't want it anymore - dont' buy it. If it is truly something you still want - go to the store, buy that one item, and leave.
Serano
Officer

Postby Hilf » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:03 pm

homes in AZ are cheap as hell right now. My brothers house where i live right now was 70g's for 1500 sq ft, 3 br, 2 bath, and 2 car garage. Only a year old an no previous owner. A close friend of mine just bought his 4500 sq ft, 5br, 4bath home, pool, 4 car garage, attic, basement, the works, all for 150k. He may be 20 extra minutes drive west from anything, but with a house like that? who cares
Hilf

Previous

Return to Open Chat