Monitoring laptops/webcams

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

Monitoring laptops/webcams

Postby BardRukiz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Not sure if this is teh right place for this but I figure I ask you guys..
Well my room mate got her teenage daughter a laptop with a webcam.. and as tiem goes by concerns have been risen. We tried to be sneaky and check her webhistory but she deletes... and I don;t have any monitoring software... is there a way to mirror what site she goes onto and her webcam activity when she is on my WiFi? We don;t want to have to bust on her everyday to just check on her..but we want to make sure she is safe...any help?
Thanks
BardRukiz

Re: Monitoring laptops/webcams

Postby Worff » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:30 pm

If she deletes the history all the time that's a red flag to me, why delete it if you have nothing to hide. I know online privacy is an issue sometimes, like malware or spyware tracking sites you've been to, but teenagers normally aren't concerned with that.

Has she been confronted before about her web activity? If so then the deleting is a learned defensive posture. If not then maybe someone instructed her to delete the logs. Most teenagers aren't that savvy unless they've been caught before, but in either case sounds like she needs confronting about the history.

As far as monitoring, yeah you will probably need some software for that... but I doubt it would capture the video on the screen from the webcam (probably good because it would slow down the computer and fill up the hard drive hehe), however it could monitor keystrokes and be another source for web history as well as processes being run on the computer.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Ulrith » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Get a router that sends u emails and/or keeps track of what websites are visited. Cisco 610N is a nice wifi one that can do what you want. Go check it out though, dont tak my word for it. There is all sorts of sly stuff that u can do and not load anything on her computer.
We are Borg. Your Technological and Biological thingies will be added to the Collective.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Ulrith

Postby BardRukiz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 pm

we confronted her with out evidencfe and yes the deleting the history is a red flag..
i don;t know what tyoe of router i got but i will see what i can find out =)

ty in advance
BardRukiz

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:45 am

You should be more worried about me watching her through the bedroom window. If you are so concerned, take the computer away. You can't monitor a persons every move. All you should do is talk to her about being responible and then trust in her to do so. To much supervison results in rebellion and thats when they become drug addicted prostitutes. Let people learn for themselves and don't over baby a person.
Last edited by Goofydoofy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Ulrith » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 am

lol, U can be monitored every moment of your life without u knowing about it. ON the other hand u can trust your child if deserving of it. YOU should still peridodically monitor your child(responsability of Parenting) to make sure everything is ok, because they are not going to tell you. In this case where there is some evidence of wrong doing and truth is not fourth coming it was in his best interest and the childs to covertly find out the truth before confronting her, for her protection of possible involvment of illicet activities which she may be embarressed of and wishes not to confess ALL of it.

Quoting"To much supervison (CAN) result in rebellion and thats when the become drug addicted prostitutes."

To little supervison (CAN) result in rebellion and thats when the become drug addicted prostitutes.

Parenting is a fine line.

Quoting"Let people learn for themselves and don't over baby a person." --- Amen :)
We are Borg. Your Technological and Biological thingies will be added to the Collective.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Ulrith

Postby BardRukiz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Goofydoofy wrote:You should be more worried about me watching her through the bedroom window.

Oh klnow that its you ou there goofy but what you don;t know its me.. crossdressing...for you.. :thumbup

I wonder if i can get team view installed on her laptop and have it run forever?
BardRukiz

Postby BardRukiz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:26 am

Well we are trying to monitor without being Big brother and jsut trying to use trust...small update... =)
BardRukiz

Return to Real Life and Opinion