Can Any Techie Help Me With This?

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Can Any Techie Help Me With This?

Postby Jimbop » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:19 am

I have a hard drive that I need to recover stuff off from. The file system became corrupted in it and I can't read it. I did find a program that can recover my files, but it costs $50 since the program isn't a free one and it will only recover files less than 64k for free. Does anyone know of a good free program to use to recover files off from a corrupted hard drive? I'd hate to have to spend all that cash on a program to use on just this one hard drive, but I got stuff on there that I do want back, like pictures from guild parties when I was with Eye of the Deceiver and at least a couple thousand MP3's and several movies that I don't have backed up to a DVD.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Re: Can Any Techie Help Me With This?

Postby Serano » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:51 am

yah, I have been holding on to a DEAD hard drive forever, that I don't know if is salvageable ever - but so far can't get any computer to recognize it.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Stonecrush » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:25 am

You want to connect the drive to another computer and try and run Chkdsk /f /r on it.

After that if you still have issues... Goto Cnet.com and type recuva or search google for Recover Files

http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?que ... a&tag=srch

http://download.cnet.com/Recover-Files/ ... 15455.html

These links should work. Both are FREE! good luck

PS. These tools will also pull files from internet browsing so uhm don't advise having anyone who you'd be shy with seeing pron... I said to much, have fuN!
Stonecrush

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:17 am

I'd suggest buying a second or third or fourth (I have 5) drive and copying the main partition to the backup drive at least once a month. Then, if one takes a shit, you have an exact duplicate. I use one drive for C: and D: as a backup. I use I: for music only which I back up on my MP3 player. Then I have two more (External) drives I use. 1 for pictures, movies, misc downloaded stuff I haven't looked over, software I need to keep, etc and the other as a backup.

I've been using computers way to long to mess with losing all my shit again.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Jimbop » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:05 am

Goofydoofy wrote:I'd suggest buying a second or third or fourth (I have 5) drive and copying the main partition to the backup drive at least once a month. Then, if one takes a shit, you have an exact duplicate. I use one drive for C: and D: as a backup. I use I: for music only which I back up on my MP3 player. Then I have two more (External) drives I use. 1 for pictures, movies, misc downloaded stuff I haven't looked over, software I need to keep, etc and the other as a backup.

Well my problem was that the drive that went out on me was my external backup drive. I had everything backed up on there right before I caught some viruses on my hard drive in my computer which eventually caused me to wipe the drive clean. When I went about using that external backup drive again, which was a while after I wiped the drive in the computer, the file system was corrupted. When I tried to use it as an external drive, it wouldn't even recognize it as a hard drive. I took it apart and put it inside the computer since it is just a regular IDE drive that was inside the casing and from there it does read that it is a hard drive and is recoverable. I just don't want to pay $50 for a program to use for one time.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Jimbop » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:21 am

Stonecrush wrote:You want to connect the drive to another computer and try and run Chkdsk /f /r on it.

After that if you still have issues... Goto Cnet.com and type recuva or search google for Recover Files

http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?que ... a&tag=srch

http://download.cnet.com/Recover-Files/ ... 15455.html

These links should work. Both are FREE! good luck

PS. These tools will also pull files from internet browsing so uhm don't advise having anyone who you'd be shy with seeing pron... I said to much, have fuN!

I ran stuff on it already to no avail, and Recuva couldn't recover anything and Recover Files didn't even recognize the hard drive as being connected to the computer. Chances are, programs that are built only for file deletion recovery might not be able to recover anything from this drive since it not only can't be read off any file system since that is corrupted, but it would also have to weed through the bad sectors in the drive since I found some of the sectors are bad as well. I might just pony up the money soon and get one of those programs. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad thing for me to do because I do work on computers on the side for people. If I have a GOOD program that can recover files from a corrupted hard drive, that would make me able to do more work on the side and I can charge more for the labor costs. hehe
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Back in the day when I used sector editors and shit for this type of stuff, you basically had to recover all this shit manually. If you have a bad allocation table and bad sectors etc, no program will know where to go to get stuff. You basically need to rebuild it by hand. But, that was 20 years ago and I have no idea how things work in this field nowadays. Still sounds like you are going to need to do a lot of manual rebuilding if it is as messed up as you say and there won't be a magic program that is going to recover everything like new by itself. If you find one, let me know.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Stonecrush » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Jimbop wrote:
Goofydoofy wrote:I'd suggest buying a second or third or fourth (I have 5) drive and copying the main partition to the backup drive at least once a month. Then, if one takes a shit, you have an exact duplicate. I use one drive for C: and D: as a backup. I use I: for music only which I back up on my MP3 player. Then I have two more (External) drives I use. 1 for pictures, movies, misc downloaded stuff I haven't looked over, software I need to keep, etc and the other as a backup.

Well my problem was that the drive that went out on me was my external backup drive. I had everything backed up on there right before I caught some viruses on my hard drive in my computer which eventually caused me to wipe the drive clean. When I went about using that external backup drive again, which was a while after I wiped the drive in the computer, the file system was corrupted. When I tried to use it as an external drive, it wouldn't even recognize it as a hard drive. I took it apart and put it inside the computer since it is just a regular IDE drive that was inside the casing and from there it does read that it is a hard drive and is recoverable. I just don't want to pay $50 for a program to use for one time.

First of all if you had a VIRUS why didn't you talk with me SOONER! I eat virus/spyware/Trojans for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. I highly doubt you'd had anything that would have given Mbam.exe (aka Malwarebytes) trouble! http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-A ... g=mncol;pm

Yes that link above is FREE anit malware removal tool. It even gets rid of the troublesome VIRTUMOND virus. If you get an infection next time gimmie a PM. Besides even if you back up a nasty virus onto another drive it doesn't re run itself upon attaching it to another computer *UNLESS its a ZOMBIE virus (auto run exe virus). So once the Fresh install/other machine had the data backed up drive to it, you can scan the drive to make sure its safe!. :dancing:

Anyway sorry bud but Data recovery centers cost you around 500 bucks will be your best bet :(
Stonecrush

Postby Worff » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Yeah Stone mbam is good stuff $$

Ok Jim, so does any computer recognize the defective hard drive as even being present? If the computer(s) won't acknowledge the drive is even installed then no software is going to help you much. What's happened is some components inside the drive itself have failed and cannot communicate with the interface/bus to send or receive packets of data. There is only one solution to that I'm aware of, but it's not easy. You'd need an identical working drive, and in a dust & static free environment change the magnetic media portion from the bad drive chassis to the new chassis. Someone would have to want the data pretty badly to go thru this method... but I've had it done for clients some years ago for about 300 bux.

If the drive IS recognizable... but has bad sectors, etc ... then as long as it's a slave drive and not the master the OS is installed on you should be able to partially retrieve some data... it's doubtful 100% restoration could be achieved, but I've had good luck in the past under these conditions. If it's the primary drive with the OS you'll likely have to put it in another PC as a second drive to be able to access the data.

If it's windows Vista .. the documents folders you'd normally look in like on an XP machine are only symbolic links and not actual folders, I forget where the actual folders are in the directory structure but that info is easily googleable.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Jimbop » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 am

I've used Mbam before and it is a really nice program to use. It definitely cleaned some stuff out on me in the past.

The computer does recognize the drive, but just isn't able to recognize anything inside of it. I didn't have any OS installed on it because it used to be just a plain external hard drive that was used for back-up. Once it started having problems, that's when I pulled the drive itself out of the casing and put it in as a slave drive to see if it would even recognize it, which it does. I know most of the information is able to be recovered but I just wasn't sure if I wanted to pay for the program to do it with. I am thinking I might pay for it because it would be a nice program to have around for future use, since I do computer work on the side. Another way to market myself can't be a bad thing!
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Worff » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:03 pm

What exactly happens when you try to access the drive with say Windows Explorer or a DOS prompt? Does it say "Invalid Media" or something else? If it says Invalid Media then it has a corrupt partition or FAT table... you could try to reset the master boot record by running the command "FIXMBR" from the Recovery Console (boot from Windows install CD for recovery console unless you have console installed to primary hard drive). For windows XP the syntax is:

fixmbr [device_name]

example

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

Not sure about Vista, it's probably the same syntax just different way to get to the recovery console.

What's the name of the software you are looking to buy? I'll look into it to see what it actually is capable of doing and if I have a source for it.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Serano » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:10 am

JUst got back about 1GB of data from 03 when my old laptop died. only had a 1.2BG hard drive. Was about 100-120 pictures that were no where else, and a retail install of Duke Nukem, and some interesting - SMALL games from the 90s in there. Still trying to get the back up hard drive up and see if there was anything on the back up that wasn't on the main.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Jimbop » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:29 am

Worff wrote:What exactly happens when you try to access the drive with say Windows Explorer or a DOS prompt? Does it say "Invalid Media" or something else? If it says Invalid Media then it has a corrupt partition or FAT table... you could try to reset the master boot record by running the command "FIXMBR" from the Recovery Console (boot from Windows install CD for recovery console unless you have console installed to primary hard drive). For windows XP the syntax is:

fixmbr [device_name]

example

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

Not sure about Vista, it's probably the same syntax just different way to get to the recovery console.

What's the name of the software you are looking to buy? I'll look into it to see what it actually is capable of doing and if I have a source for it.

When I try accessing it in Windows XP, it tells me that the drive is not formatted and asks me if I want to format it. When I attempt to access it through a DOS prompt, it says that the volume does not contain a recognized file system so that's how I know the file system is what became corrupted in it. File Scavenger is the name of the program that I used and it says it can recover my data from it, but it costs $50. So far, I haven't found a free utility that is able to pull up anything off from that drive. I would bet they are out there, but it is just a matter of finding one.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Return to Open Chat