64 verse 32 Bit System

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

64 verse 32 Bit System

Postby Ceruis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:22 am

Buying a labtop for the wife because she annoying me....so which should I get? 64 or 32 bit OS? And have any of yall messed with Windows 7 yet?
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Re: 64 verse 32 Bit System

Postby eqaztun » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:37 pm

I would go with the 64 bit system and i have no experience with the new windows 7 program and i hope to god they did it better then vista
eqaztun

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:17 pm

Always go with 64 if you can.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Meso » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:03 pm

Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Postby Jamjum » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:38 pm

Meso wrote:69

Yes, go with a 69 lik system.
Image-ImageImage
Jamjum

Postby cydian1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:17 pm

64 bit is better and the way of the future.
Just be aware that some (maybe lots) of any existing software you may have 'may' not work on 64Bit windows.
Windows 7 is a major improvement over Vista, which may not be saying a lot.
It is based on the Vista kernel but they have fixed lots of the Vista issues. I like it. Don't yet use it as my main system, but next format, I will use it
cydian1

Postby Serano » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:12 pm

I am on the fence. I mean, so long as they keep supporting XP, I don't ahve any reason to switch to 7. Then again, they have some kind of 3 site licence deal going for the first 3 months of launch. If I wait, it will cost me 3 times as much to upgrade for my 3 home computers.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Frogstew » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Definitely 64-bit with Windows 7. 64-bit lets you use >3 GB RAM and should execute programs faster. Win 7 is awesome... been using it since beta. I'm going to upgrade all of our PCs to it. The multamedia capabilities rock.

Frogstew
Frogstew

Postby Stonecrush » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:23 pm

I still dunno why everyone hates vista, my PC ran 5 EQ clients and Vista home prem 64 bit NP!

XP would never run programs that well. You miss out on a lot with XP, I will never go back with anything new I get.

The 3 user upgrades are nice but they look like its only to home premium, not professional/ultimate types though.

I have yet to get a copy of 7 (lack a need for it atm) but when I do I'll probably like that one too.

Things I want to mention that I despise when I see a computer and (in the future) as a network admin I will probably force co workers to use... The NEW FRIGGEN WINDOWS MENU, I hate when I see windows 98 type windows menu. Even in Vista people goto the classic menu and completely miss all of the useful gadgets that go with vista/7. If you press the start button you'll see a search tool right there it's amazingly handy.. Add the fact that classic menu doesn't let you use properties properly especially to manage a computer.

I always give back computers with those 98 classic menus back the way they should be... Normal. If you use a PC progress with it, and enjoy the functionality.. Otherwise go back to that 98 machine!

PS. Most of the time I see people having problems with Vista and I wanna say at least 90% of the time it tends to be a I D 10 T error or a PBK&C error... They never take the 10 seconds it takes to go to Google or to a support site for the program/hardware driver to find out if there's an update to make it work. The classic is when people blame vista for the software not working and its Vistas fault.. Ok so we aren't supposed to improve windows? How about you blame the software company for
A. not giving you an update for Vista/7
B. not making it compatible for Vista/7
Instead the blame falls upon Evil windows empire just another company trying to make a buck.

The Cons about vista.. Its VERY TOP HEAVY and its just somewhat attractive.. Kinda like that 2nd cousin you saw and thought it's legal, but is it moral...

In conclusion stop bashing Vista because you lacked the hardware to power the OS, and even if you go to Windows 7 I stress DO NOT try and go from an XP running machine to 7 unless its got around 3-4 gigs of ram, a dual or quad core processor *note more cores if possible* and a Decent MOBO to support the future. Windows XP is over 8 years old. Most people don't keep cars that long (I do Poor :x). Even an 2005-6 machine does not really have the hardware compatibility for running 7 the way its meant to be run. The hardware parts for PC's especially desktops are dropping in price you can go to New Egg or Tigerdirect and find/build a decent machine for 800 bucks. Decent as in better than my current machine that runs 5 EQ clients at once if I want, and simultaneous web surfing.

Nice AMD quad core 950 black edition can be overclocked to 3.3 gighz per processor and all done at the desktop no need to mess with bios. That crazy, no i7 but its still staggering, get 8 gigs of DDR 2 with a 300-500 gig 7200rpm 32 meg cache Seagate Barracuda HDD. Toss in a AMD ATI Video Hightech Information Systems (HIS) makes sweet cards for ATI, and they have heat sinks that Nvidia would wet dream for makes it easy to overclock if needed.

wow did I ramble... sheesh

sorry, /rant off

:beer:
Stonecrush

Postby Ceruis » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Stone... :help .... :beer: .... :dancing: ... :jester
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Return to Open Chat