Makes a real good point

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

Re: Makes a real good point

Postby bill » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:51 pm

I bet if on American Idol, when everyone voted, the person most ppl voted for didn't win, we'd see a drop in those numbers, hmm?

Or my favorite, depending on how many ppl live in your state, your vote may only count as 20% of a single vote.
bill

Postby Bilnick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:57 am

bill wrote:I bet if on American Idol, when everyone voted, the person most ppl voted for didn't win, we'd see a drop in those numbers, hmm?

Or my favorite, depending on how many ppl live in your state, your vote may only count as 20% of a single vote.

The electoral college will not go away, small states would not support a overall national popular vote.

So you will have the occasional winner of the electoral college not getting the most overall votes. Bush got more electoral votes, Gore got more overall vote.The same thing would have happened again if Kerry had squeaked out an Ohio victory in 2004. Bush would have won more popular votes, but lost the election.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby bill » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:03 am

Massachusetts wouldn't sign on with the rest of the colonies under a constitution until states had weight based on population. I'm quite familiar with how that has bit us in the ass. However, I was mainly responding to this concept:

especiallly in our society where more people vote for american idol than POTUS
bill

Postby Worff » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 am

So, if you have the election on TV where voters can call in, and Ryan Secrest runs against Julie Chen... we'd have a record voter turnout :P Hehe well the point is, the groups of people that that ad is targeting (the more intellegent people don't need to see that ad to know they can register and vote) really aren't qualified to make a choice anyway. So they care about healthcare and the war, or some special interest... and a candidate mutters some words like "healthcare" and "the war" on TV... well that's it man there is their reason for voting for that candidate /boggle. Not saying they shouldn't vote... but chances are their vote would end up getting us the worst candidate for the country overall.

Plus that ad makes it sound like a cure-all .. just go vote (pop the magic voting pill!!) and they'll fix all of those problems. When in reality it will take years, maybe decades, and (dare I say this) a collective effort by every American to enact real changes that will amount to anything that was worth the trouble.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Bilnick » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 am

bill wrote:Massachusetts wouldn't sign on with the rest of the colonies under a constitution until states had weight based on population. I'm quite familiar with how that has bit us in the ass. However, I was mainly responding to this concept:

especiallly in our society where more people vote for american idol than POTUS

People vote multiple times for American idol, they only vote multiple times for elections in places like Chicago. :)

I think the electoral college is a decent way to make the smaller states count. If we went by an overall popular vote, candidates would only be trying to win the big states. Texas, California, New York, etc. North Dakota or Wyoming wouldn't get any attention. But if in 2000, if Al gore had won one more state of any size we would have had him as president in 2000 and we would all be talking about polar bears on icebergs and carbon footprints instead of the noocular capabilities of Iran and North Korea. :P
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Serano » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:02 am

based on the US Congress flatly ignoring the historic constituent appeal by phone and email to please - oh god please DO NOT PASS the bail out - they did anyways.

I recommend - no voter in the US ever vote for any republican or democrat politician again. ever. I won't be.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Worff » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:45 am

Funny how passing that bailout bill had a negative effect on Wall Street. How much u wanna bet... once they do get that 700 billion bailout check... they'll all take the money and burn off to Argentina or something... leaving Wall Street up on blocks like a car with all 4 wheels stolen :P
Worff
Webmaster

Postby Hipityhipity » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:13 pm

WTB A True 3rd Party That if I vote for them I wont be just throwing my Vote AWAY !

Screw the Dem and the Republicans I want a 3rd Choice and I want them publisized just as much as the other 2 :/

Lets Limit their Campaign Spending No And If's Or Buts All Canidites get X amount of money and No You Dont get to spend more if you have your own money.

I dont want to see a president who bought their way in because they spent more time in front of the Camera because they had more funds to play with than another

RaNT oFF
Hipityhipity

Highscores: 4

Postby Worff » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:02 pm

I hear ya Hipity... I'd like to see the same. You're right though, voting for a 3rd party now just screws Dems usually, as the 3rd party has no chance at all, or is even taken seriously for that matter... yeah partially because they don't have near the funds to spend getting their message(s) out. Reason I say it normally screws Dems is because the ideologies of many 3rd parties are more closely aligned with Dems than they are with Reps... so the voter going for the 3rd party normally would have voted Dem in most cases. This in itself discourages voting for a 3rd party, for fear that your vote would end up getting you a candidate that couldn't be farther out of touch with what you believe in.
Worff
Webmaster

Postby Bilnick » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:15 am

Well it is looking more and more like one party rule is on the way.
Bilnick
Officer

Return to Real Life and Opinion