Ever read something...

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

Ever read something...

Postby EQIsenhart » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:42 pm

That really hit home with you and made you think "wow someone knows exactly how I feel".

http://syncaine.wordpress.com/2007/09/1 ... w-raiding/
EQIsenhart

Highscores: 2

Re: Ever read something...

Postby Jimbop » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:03 pm

I know that feeling all too well. 3 1/2 years of raiding with EoTD, nearly a year raiding every day with Triality, and raiding when I could with you guys, and I'm left to look back at all the time I put forth into that and see where it's gotten me. Like the author says, it's a hell of a rush beating an event that has slaughtered you countless times over. No offense to anyone in TF, but one of my most memorable wins was one from EoTD on Rallos Zek in PoTactics, when we lost like 20+ times until we finally got that first win. There's nothing in EQ that gives you a feeling like being defeated many times over until you finally gain that first moment of success. Raiding does eventually become it's own addiction. Those few emotional highs that a tough win gives you are hard to move away from. Unfortunately, all that preparation for that one moment of success wears at you after a while. Some people just turn into a softcore, some take periodic breaks from the game, some change classes, some quit. Even now, that feeling still sticks in the back of my mind and wants me to go back to nuking and sending in my pet.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Worff » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:23 pm

I think the moral of the story is that it's more important to just have some fun with friends. That's the way EQ has always been for me. I could really care less about the shiny new stuff, I mean I do like getting new stuff, but if I don't or it takes a long time I really don't care. It's how you look at the game and how you look at raiding, not the act of raiding in itself. Yes it is a great high to finally get a bunch of folks together on the same page and beat difficult event, but if we lose it truly does not bother me or get me down... it only makes winning that much sweeter because I know we will win eventually if we keep trying. If not enough peeps show up for a raid and we have to cancel it... it doesn't bother me in the least... just go do something else hehe.

A good example would be this... think about your most memorable moments in EQ (Like Jimbop did in his post above) .. ask yourself why it was your favorite time and answer it honestly (to yourself). Here are some of mine, listed in descending order.

1. Being a newbie and hanging out with a few buddies at the bandit camp in West Karana, only to get chomped by a werewolf or a hill giant :P Yeah partly it was the newness of the game and everything was unknown, but it was just some great times.

2. Running from Qeynos to Freeport and dying in Highpass from gnolls :P Boy that used to be a trek lol

3. Riding on the rudder of the ship from BB to FV, because I fell off and couldn't get back on deck. Now that's fun !!!

4. Joining Tribal Fury and accidentally evaccing Serano and our group from deep in the mines of Droga.. sigh re-plow.

5. Getting flagged for Po Time... finally! I think this was a milestone for many people and guilds tho

6. Beating Rallos Zek the first try, then losing the next 7 attempts. WTF lol

7. Booting Flaena from the guild /smirk .. ok most of ya'll probably don't remember that haha

8. Falling off a boat mid-ocean (shockingly it didn't stop for me!!!), and swimming to some deserted island, and petitioning a GM to summon me back to . Ok now that was just messed up lol

9. Royal Rumbles .. those are always fun :)

10. Trying new events with the guild .. lots of these are memorable. Some were funny, some were HELL YEAH!!, some were irritating events (thanks Sony) but most are memorable.

Bonus Round 11: Exploring new expansions with friends .. this is very fun as it's all unknown and always a challenge.

===========================================================

Anyway, now that I've gone off on a bunch of tangents... bottom line is we need to keep things like friends and fun in perspective while we're progressing. Also a good ideology is "No rush". We'll all see most of the content EQ has to offer... the guy that wrote that article Isen linked seemed disappointed if he didn't see a new boss downed more often than every two weeks... to me every two weeks would have been fine, even less, as long as everyone was having fun. And my final thought to convey is "Keep it simple" .. which allows for more fun to be had :)

Party on.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Jimbop » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:44 pm

Worff wrote:the guy that wrote that article Isen linked seemed disappointed if he didn't see a new boss downed more often than every two weeks... to me every two weeks would have been fine, even less, as long as everyone was having fun. And my final thought to convey is "Keep it simple" .. which allows for more fun to be had :)

I don't think that's as much why he wrote the article. The points you brought up in the rest of you article, however, are very relevant. His perspective is from the type of player that is not the embodiment of a true Tribal Fury guild member. His is from the player who logs on and doesn't have time to deal with anything but raids and guild drama. I've been there and almost quit once from EQ for just that reason. Then I joined this guild because my life was no longer about raiding in EverQuest, but I still wanted the ability to do it. His article is from the perspective of a player who has lost the fun of the way you still play the game. If I were to ever come fully back to the world of Norrath (it would be sometime after my degree is finished for sure!), it wouldn't be under the terms of raiding as the primary focus, as it can and will eventually burn everyone out.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Goofydoofy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:20 am

Nothing a good suicide won't cure.

Everybody has their vices and problems. If it isn't EQ or WoW, it is alcohol or wife beating. Everybody can always find something to blame for their problems. Me, I blame George Bush for everything.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Worff » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Goofydoofy wrote:Nothing a good suicide won't cure.

Everybody has their vices and problems. If it isn't EQ or WoW, it is alcohol or wife beating. Everybody can always find something to blame for their problems. Me, I blame George Bush for everything.

I think that author just has OCD :P
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Serano » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:54 am

Interesting. I skimmed thru that article and it is exactly opposite of the way I feel about playing EQ, Raiding and being in a guild.

I could list the differences - but better to just read all of his points and think of what the opposite he says and that is me.

I never considered TF or EQ a job, and don't feel addicted and don't feel i need to escape.

And the nice thing is - the ones that know me - should realize that what I say is legit.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby bill » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:40 am

2 legit 2 quit?
bill

Postby ThinkInk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:02 am

Serano wrote:I never considered TF or EQ a job, and don't feel addicted and don't feel i need to escape.

Even though I've been playing EQ since the early months in 2000 I've never felt that I was "addicted" to the game. I did however feel like I had to "escape" a few times. Most recently a year or so ago when Magimay gifted me with Oblivion for my birthday.

EQ has become more then a game to me. It gives me chance to interact with the many friends we've developed over the years online, as well as spending time with some RL friends that I don't get to see as often as I would like. Like Worff I've never intended/expected to see my character rise in the Leaderboards, obtain the baddest and the best gear, or even have millions of plat accumulated. Reading his post (Worff) made me smile as memories similar to his came back to the surface, even if he forgot to mention the countless times we had to run for our lives when there was still a "Swarm Queen" in West Karana.

TF is my first "Raiding Guild". I play EQ because it allows me some decompression time from what I do for a living on a daily basis. All those customers that experience ID ten T problems everyday just wears on you after a while, and I have been a in the same Industry for over 25 years.
Finding out that I could actually talk live in voice with friends also added another dimension to the game. I am no longer shaming Mavis Beacon everytime I sit down in front of my keyboard.

From Cydian's description of what "raiding life" was while he was in AD for so many years I never thought that I would enjoy raiding, but I do! Yet, it's not the end of the world if couldn't continue for some obscure reason.

The only thing I'm addicted to, (besides smoking), is Magimay. For those that know me they just have to read between the lines.
ThinkInk

Postby Jimbop » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:06 pm

The people that tend to become addicted to the raiding scene would be people that have either addictive personalities or have some void in their life and use raiding to fill that void. I'm able to admit it now that when raiding was an addiction, I also had that void in my RL where I tried to use a game, specifically raiding and rising up the leader boards, to fill it. It doesn't work, and you instead end up having feelings like this guy wrote about. I guarantee I could play nowadays and not ever go back to this, except I just won't have the time to play, especially if I add on another class to my schedule which I'm considering doing (that would put me at 13 credit hours while still working 40 hours a week). I've graduated myself to the point where a game is a game. Serano, Worff, Robag, and others all seem to have had their lives in order before playing, which is the key to not become overly obsessed with EQ.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Return to Real Life and Opinion