Playstation 3

If you are done with EQ or trying other games - chat about them here.

Moderator: Officers

Playstation 3

Postby Horcrux » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 pm

So, my brother is bugging me to get a PS3 so that he has someone to play online with. He was showing me a game called Little Big Planet, which actually looks pretty sweet. I also wouldn't mind being able to play through Final Fantasy 13 when it comes out. However, I'm not about to buy a $400 system for 2 games. What else does the PS3 have going for it, or have coming out soon? I'm not really a fan of sports, shooter/army, or racing games (which seem to make up 99% of the PS3 games I know about. Any thoughts on other games? Maybe RPGs, Action Adventure, etc.
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Re: Playstation 3

Postby Daioe Sozenports » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:47 pm

FF13 is also coming out on the Xbox 360, so if you have that already you wouldnt need a PS3 for it.
Daioe Sozenports

Highscores: 13

Postby Hilf » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:08 pm

honestly, i would say to buy a PS3 for anything less than a shooter/sports or game like Ninja Gaiden would be a waste of money unless you would use it as bluray player too. The online capabilities of the PS3 SUCK! They are even worse when you compare it to xbox. I think the difference here is that for PS3 online you dont pay, but for xbox live you pay $5 a month. Xbox 360 also has been out for another 2 years and has a probably 20x the amount of games as the ps3. On the 360 you can also DL old games like doom and other arcades as well and is backward compatible. I think i got off point here, but i dont see any reason to spend the 400 dollars on it any time soon, especially since one of Playstations biggest titles converted to xbox compatible, Grand Theft Auto.
Hilf

Postby Daioe Sozenports » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:19 pm

PS3 is backward compatible too - that's the only reason I have one atm pretty much. Heh a while before it came out while I was at work my nephews got ahold of my PS2 and broke it.
Daioe Sozenports

Highscores: 13

Postby Bilnick » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:22 pm

The Xbox 360 has many more RPG's, and like Jum said is also getting the next (probably not final) Final Fantasy.

Little Big Planet does look pretty good for the PS3, and if you have a High Definition TV, the PS3 is one of the best Blue Ray players around.

The 360 and PS3 have very similiar libraries, most of the big games come out for both systems. The 360 has a bunch more exclusives, especially in the RPG genre.

The Ninetdo Wii is a joke. My kids and I havent played it in months.

So....recoomendations for a PS3 that are not racing, sports, or shooter.

- Lego games. Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman. Fun games (Batman comes out in September) Easy to play, Lego guys act out famous scenes from the movie. Pretty funny, good games, can play co-op if you want.

- there are the Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Dance Dance Revolution, type games. These type of games are not my thing, but I am the exception to that rule I think. Most people rave about Rock Band , especially with 4 players. It is not cheap though....$150-$160 for the initial game + instruments. These games are on every other major system as well. The PS3 and 360 have additional downloadable content though (for extra $$ of course).

- Little Big Planet looks promising, but it is not coming out until late October....

If you are reallly looking for games....the Xbox 360 is the king right now.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Bilnick » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Daioe Sozenports wrote:PS3 is backward compatible too - that's the only reason I have one atm pretty much. Heh a while before it came out while I was at work my nephews got ahold of my PS2 and broke it.

Not all PS3's are backwards compatible anymore. I know for sure Sony removed the PS2 chip that was in early PS3's, and I think only certain models emulate the PS2 via software.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Hilf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:04 am

coming up sometime in august or september theres going to be an upgrade to Xboxlive. Its going to completely overhaul the online dashboard capabilities. You even are going to be able to get 8 people together, get in a chat room, and all can watch the same movie that one of them DLs.
Hilf

Postby Horcrux » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks for the input guys. However, instead of buying a PS3 or a 360 I went and bought a used Nintendo DS! I had no idea they were remaking the old SNES Final Fantasies until I saw FF IV on the shelf. Hell, just FF III (which I've never played, and need to play to keep with my "I've beaten all US released Final Fantasies" thing) and FF IV it was worth it, and I'm praying they remake FF VI! I still may get a new console, but not sure.
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Postby Bilnick » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:29 pm

I knew they remade a few of the old FFs for the PSP, didn't know they did for the DS. Then again I don't follow the FF series that much since 7 came out for the PS1 (I hated it /duck).

The DS is a nice portable though, you will enjoy it.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Zyzzerzazz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:03 pm

PSP has FF1/FF2 and FF Tactics

I am wishing for a PS3 for christmas so I can enjoy the Blu-Ray DVDs on my HDTV.

Not sure what model of the PS3 I need to get tho. I dont have any PS2 games so I dont care about PS2 playback. But I do have lots of PS1 and PSP games.

I expect many more RPG type games to come out of the PS3 in the comming year. /shrug

I mostly want a Blu-Ray player, and why not spend the extra 100 bucks and get a PS3?
Zyzzerzazz Guildkilla
Tribal Fury

"Satisfaction guaranteed or 96% of your experience back!"
Zyzzerzazz

Postby Aithzar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:05 pm

Zyzzerzazz wrote:PSP has FF1/FF2 and FF Tactics

I am wishing for a PS3 for christmas so I can enjoy the Blu-Ray DVDs on my HDTV.

Not sure what model of the PS3 I need to get tho. I dont have any PS2 games so I dont care about PS2 playback. But I do have lots of PS1 and PSP games.

I expect many more RPG type games to come out of the PS3 in the comming year. /shrug

I mostly want a Blu-Ray player, and why not spend the extra 100 bucks and get a PS3?

Very sound logic man, nice thing about PS3 as Blu-Ray player is the easy of updates for it as well.
Aithzar

Highscores: 2

Postby Hilf » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:40 pm

i hope ou dont plan on playing too many games online with it though, i play a lot of xboxlive and i know a lot of people that have ps3s and say that the free online network they have is terrible, very laggy and lots of glitches. Whats funny is these gaming magazines and shows tout that the ps3 has a superior multiplayer system but when you think about it, more people play xbox live and pay for it
Hilf

Postby Bilnick » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:15 pm

Zyzzerzazz wrote:PSP has FF1/FF2 and FF Tactics

PS3 makes a good Blue Ray player. The only bad thing is that universal remotes do not work with the PS3, so you need the Sony Bluetooth one (using the gamepad is a pain in the ass). Makes me mad that my $200 Harmony remote will not control my PS3, but I think I have a workaround.

PS3 can play any PS1 game regardless of model. (99% sure on that). I have a launch PS3 and it plays PS2 games, but I do not know if any of the current models do at all. Maybe the models with the biggest HDD use software emulation to play PS2 games, unlike the original PS3's that just had the PS2 chip built in.

The hard drive in the PS3 is easily upgradeable if you end up downloading a ton of movies and games for the Playstation store.

I hope you have custom firmware on your PSP!!! Playing PSP games off the disc really blows once you get used to playing them from a memory stick. Plus it is easy to load all those PS1 games you have on a PSP with custom firmware. My PSP has ~1000 NES and ~500 SNES games along with 6-8 PSP games on one 8gb memory stick. My kids and I have 4 PSP's between us.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Shoolace » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:35 pm

I play on the Playstation Network and XboxLive and really don't have a preference. My brother says that PS3 is a bit more laggy when he plays CoD online and he plays a ton more then me. He bought CoD5 for Xbox and plays Gears of War 2, so he's basically switched to the Xbox360.

I think you are right Bilnick, all the newer PS3's don't have backwards compatibility. My roomate bought a PS3 at the start of the semester and we had to drive to a few different stores to find an 80gb with backwards compatibility. Think they phased it out for cost reasons.
Shoolace

Return to EQ2 and Other games