It's a sad day

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

It's a sad day

Postby Hilf » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:55 pm

It's truly a sad day today folks. One of the most influental and important comedians died last night. George Carlin passed away sometime last night in California of heart failure at the age of 71. This man changed comedy. He and Richard Pryor are what made comedy what it is today. Before them, comedians were supposed to be PG but Carlin opened the doors in the 60's along with guys like Lenny Bruce to the rated R comedy. Carlin might not be considered as good or influential as Richard Pryor, but this man has been doing constant relevant standup since the 1960s! Hell, he even did a show last week. I urge anyone who doesn't know who this man is, and isn't afraid of some controversial words to look him up or read his books.
Hilf

Re: It's a sad day

Postby Stonecrush » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:14 pm

He's one of those comics that gave me insight that there is humor in everything and the ability to laugh of the good times rather than the bad. Will miss his antics and his work.
Stonecrush

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:47 pm

I thought he was a great comic, but people die everyday.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Jimbop » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:56 pm

I am just really bummed out that I never got the chance to see him at a live show. I've been listening to his material for the last 10 years or so, and his comedy is definitely unique. He can make a crippled joke sound funny even. What I really liked about him was not only the laughter, but also the fact that his jokes always had something behind it that referred to our society. He used comedy to not only share some of his views on things, but it brought more attention to the topics. He will definitely be missed.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Serano » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:32 am

I have been a long time fan of George Carlin.

To be honest however, his reactionary politics of late were more of the lets hate the government than as creative as his older material. I watched a few of his recent HBO shows and there was a hell of a lot of whining about todays politics rather than the scathing social commentary I would normally expect.

but regardless - I heard the news down in Mexico and was bummed. he was a very creative and relevant character for many years.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Found » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:08 pm

Was lucky enough to see him at a live show here in Florida about two years ago. Even then he wasn't doing so well, they actually had a chair on stage for him to sit on if he became too fatigued. He sortof joked about how we might have a little bit of both "stand up" and "sit down" comedy. He managed to go through the whole show though without sitting down. One of my favorite comedians, he will be missed.

/salute
Found

Postby Hilf » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:32 pm

i rememer he and Richard Pryor had a competition to see who could have the most heart attacks. I think Carlin won that fight, i believe he even used that as some of his material in the 70's.

On another note, I watched a special on Don Rickles last night and that man looks awful for his age. I mean he's healthy and all, but he looks terrible as an old man, mostly cause he's really ugly i think, but he's still one of the funniest men in the business. I'm thinking we'll see him done soon as well, and that will be another depressing moment in comedy.
Hilf

Return to Real Life and Opinion