School in 1967 compared to 2007

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Ceruis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:34 pm

I think everyone should walk around with loaded weapons. Then when some asshole tries to rob, rape, murder, or kidnap someone they can be blown away. Save us some taxes on prison space and court cost.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Image
Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
User avatar
Ceruis
Officer
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Dead in a Ditch!
Highscores: 1

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Jimbop » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Ceruis wrote:I think everyone should walk around with loaded weapons. Then when some asshole tries to rob, rape, murder, or kidnap someone they can be blown away. Save us some taxes on prison space and court cost.


Only problem is I know too many people that would scare me with a loaded weapon in their pocket, like the people that ask you, "How do I fire this?" I've actually had people ask me that question before. :newbie:
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop
Member
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:05 am

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Horcrux » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Ceruis wrote:I think everyone should walk around with loaded weapons. Then when some asshole tries to rob, rape, murder, or kidnap someone they can be blown away. Save us some taxes on prison space and court cost.


However, when you say "everyone", you are including the robber, murderer, rapist, and kidnapper as walking around with a loaded weapon. Heck, most of them do that anyways. Now, if everyone else did, they would have to upgrade to outdo the everyday joe. Escalation! Police wear bullet proof vests, criminals fire armor piercing rounds.... wasn't that in some movie?
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux
Member
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 pm
Highscores: 12

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Ceruis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Horcrux wrote:
Ceruis wrote:I think everyone should walk around with loaded weapons. Then when some asshole tries to rob, rape, murder, or kidnap someone they can be blown away. Save us some taxes on prison space and court cost.


However, when you say "everyone", you are including the robber, murderer, rapist, and kidnapper as walking around with a loaded weapon. Heck, most of them do that anyways. Now, if everyone else did, they would have to upgrade to outdo the everyday joe. Escalation! Police wear bullet proof vests, criminals fire armor piercing rounds.... wasn't that in some movie?


Police wear bullet proof vests already and people can make armor piercing bullets in their basement if they so choose. As for upgrading to outdo the other, that wouldn't really be the case. Even if the person in question did upgraded to a fully automatic M16/M4 so what? If everyone else was armed and trained in the use of their weapon they take that guy down in a heartbeat with pistols.

Now some people say that if you take all the guns away from everyone there would be no killin, or war, or assaults with weapons, etc. People forget that we have been killin, rapin, assaulting, etc well before the invention of guns. You could say that it kinda of the human race's hobby. Anyone who thinks your gonna somehow pacify the human race is someone who should be put in a padded room. :stupid
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Image
Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
User avatar
Ceruis
Officer
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Dead in a Ditch!
Highscores: 1

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Bilnick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:21 am

I have no problem with a properly trained law abiding citizen carrying a concealed weapon, but I think "everyone" is a little overboard.

In Michigan you only need to take a class and not have any felonies on your record (not sure about misdemeanors) to get a concealed weapon permit. Even then there are some restrictions as to where you can carry a gun. Airports, courthouses, schools, etc. are still off limits.
User avatar
Bilnick
Officer
 
Posts: 5494
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Saline, Michigan

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Worff » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:25 am

Bilnick wrote:Even then there are some restrictions as to where you can carry a gun. Airports, courthouses, schools, etc. are still off limits.


Best place to carry one is a Saloon or anywhere else they serve whiskey :P
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Image
User avatar
Worff
Webmaster
 
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:37 pm
Location: Galveston, Texas
Highscores: 42

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Ceruis » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Bilnick wrote:I have no problem with a properly trained law abiding citizen carrying a concealed weapon, but I think "everyone" is a little overboard.

In Michigan you only need to take a class and not have any felonies on your record (not sure about misdemeanors) to get a concealed weapon permit. Even then there are some restrictions as to where you can carry a gun. Airports, courthouses, schools, etc. are still off limits.


Good point...Law abiding citizen with no criminal backgrounds that are sane as determined by a board of your local neighbors, not the idiots who go to school for 20 years and think your insane because at 30 you still like watching Tom and Jerry in the morning.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Image
Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
User avatar
Ceruis
Officer
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Dead in a Ditch!
Highscores: 1

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Stonecrush » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:44 am

Dude all the old cartoons are the shit. True Violence, art, and well raw humor all slapped into one. It tries to make light humor at humanity of the time, just folks tend to believe it to be racist or insensitive to different people (speedy Gonzalaz, Mr. Magoo, Silvester, to name a few) some see it as uncessary and too violent (just about everything else with a gun, stick of dynomite, or things of that nature). Which is Bullshit people just don't wanna raise their kids anymore and teach them right from wrong. :chair
Stonecrush
Member
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Sothran » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Ceruis wrote:I think everyone should walk around with loaded weapons. Then when some asshole tries to rob, rape, murder, or kidnap someone they can be blown away. Save us some taxes on prison space and court cost.


I unfortunately find that a majority of the people I know with "concealed carry" licenses, have them, and their guns, because they think it is cool. These are the kind of people who when something crazy goes on, they end up getting themselves, or other innocent people shot. For the record, I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, but I dont carry one, because I dont think we have to worry about "Ze Germanz" invading (Not trying to offend german's, i have plenty of german heritage myself). BTW, can anyone name what move that is from?
User avatar
Sothran
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:44 am
Location: Hillbilly Hell
Highscores: 3

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Ceruis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Sothran wrote:
Ceruis wrote:I think everyone should walk around with loaded weapons. Then when some asshole tries to rob, rape, murder, or kidnap someone they can be blown away. Save us some taxes on prison space and court cost.


I unfortunately find that a majority of the people I know with "concealed carry" licenses, have them, and their guns, because they think it is cool. These are the kind of people who when something crazy goes on, they end up getting themselves, or other innocent people shot. For the record, I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, but I dont carry one, because I dont think we have to worry about "Ze Germanz" invading (Not trying to offend german's, i have plenty of german heritage myself). BTW, can anyone name what move that is from?


Innocent people get killed everyday because they are sheep. Personally, if some asshole with an uzi start offing people in say a school I'd like to do something about it right then, not wait for the local police to get their shit together. Of course, we can all pray that the police decide to do something before the asshole swings his gun on you, but I doubt it. This one lil truism pretty much sums up my position....The best defence is a quick, violence, bloody offense.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Image
Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
User avatar
Ceruis
Officer
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Dead in a Ditch!
Highscores: 1

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Sothran » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 pm

I really, truly hope you are being sarcastic, but I greatly fear you are not. If you are serious, you should look up the numbers on handgun related deaths in US v.s. some other countries like Great Britain where it is illegal to have handguns. No, im not a proponenet for gun control, I own guns, i like my guns, but I dont believe there use is for a brutal, bloody offense. Nevertheless, numbers like that make me weary of ideas to, arm up citizens for personal protection. Just me.
User avatar
Sothran
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:44 am
Location: Hillbilly Hell
Highscores: 3

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Ceruis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Sothran wrote:I really, truly hope you are being sarcastic, but I greatly fear you are not. If you are serious, you should look up the numbers on handgun related deaths in US v.s. some other countries like Great Britain where it is illegal to have handguns. No, im not a proponenet for gun control, I own guns, i like my guns, but I dont believe there use is for a brutal, bloody offense. Nevertheless, numbers like that make me weary of ideas to, arm up citizens for personal protection. Just me.


all your looking at is the "handgun" protion of the numbers. Tell me, do you really believe that taking away handguns is going to stop people from committing crimes? If you do, your sadly mistaken. And no, I'm not be sarcastic. While "you" (I use "you" to indicate damn near anyone) are sitting on your ass while someone go on a killing rampage I'll be trying my damnest to do something about it other than hiding and praying. Action > Inaction anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. It could be that I'm just an atypical offensively minded person. God, I hope not.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Image
Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
User avatar
Ceruis
Officer
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Dead in a Ditch!
Highscores: 1

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Jimbop » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:40 pm

I did a research project on handguns last semester in my English class, and I touched off on England's ban on handguns. The data I was finding, yes the handgun murders was drastically reduced. What I found, however, the crimes that handguns are beneficial in helping to prevent, like robbery and burglary were a bit higher than what we have in the US. In the US, in those states with carry and conceal laws, those crimes are lower than those states that carry and conceal isn't legal. There are always going to be people who will commit a crime regardless of laws in the area, but there are those who will go out of their way to commit a crime where there is a greater chance of encountering an individual that will most likely not be carrying a weapon. I still don't say that a handgun is for everyone, but the more people that do carry, the more crime is discouraged. Agree with the statement or not, but statistics do, in fact, verify that it does help in lowering certain types of crime. However, those people usually try to instead do crime where confrontation isn't likely.

On a side note, New York has very stringent handgun laws. Most of the illegal guns that are confiscated in the state come from states where obtaining guns and licenses is as easy as getting a driver's license. And also, in many crimes, the crimes do not involve the use of a legally obtained gun.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop
Member
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:05 am

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Bilnick » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:26 pm

I think buying a gun SHOULD be as easy as getting a drivers liscense though.

A law abiding citizen with no felonies, shows he/she is competent, I see no reason for any retrictions. All gun owners should have to take some sort of training on how to handle the weapon safely and correctly.
User avatar
Bilnick
Officer
 
Posts: 5494
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Saline, Michigan

Re: School in 1967 compared to 2007

Postby Ceruis » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 pm

I Love Jimbop!.....someonewho can actually do research. WTB Research Papers...paying Plat! :cheers
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Image
Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
User avatar
Ceruis
Officer
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Dead in a Ditch!
Highscores: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Real Life and Opinion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron