read this and tell me how screwed I got

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

read this and tell me how screwed I got

Postby Horcrux » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:56 pm

So, I work for a party rental company, in which I drive delivery trucks. The trucks I drive are small, and do not require a CDL to operate. Today, in a work truck, I got pulled over and fined 33$ for a missing mudflap. However, here is how it actually went down. The cop who eventually pulled me over was ahead of me on the left, stopped at a stop light (directly at the cross walk). I pulled up to the same light, in the right lane, and was behind a couple cars, so I was essentially behind the cop on his right. Light turns green, we pull up. As soon as the cop is about half way behind my left side, he turns his lights on, forces his way behind me, and pulls me over. The key here is he made the decision to pull me over before he was EVER behind me. Now, how the hell did he see that I was missing my rear RIGHT mudflap from being alongside my left side? Also, is it even against the law to be missing a mudflap in a small box truck that does not require a CDL to operate? (I'm aware that would probably depend on the district, but just in general I think hell no). And on top of that, the ticket is filled out to ME, not the company, directly to ME and goes on MY record. Oh, my boss was livid when I got back from my delivery. When the 20 day buffer period is up, she is going to send me on the clock to fight it in court.

On a side note, my boss thinks I was pulled over entirely for the guy who was with me on the delivery. He has been working to get his license recently, and so far Social Security building has gone into lockdown TWICE, not just once, TWICE, when he entered the building. Hes dark skinned, kind of big, and has very long hair pulled into 2 braids and a massive beard. He wouldn't hurt a fly, and yet people freaked out and put their building into lockdown over him. I'm guessing thats why I got pulled over in the first place, and the cop just got lucky and found something (something very stupid) to give as a reason for doing so.
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Re: read this and tell me how screwed I got

Postby Yagada » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:09 pm

What state?
When things get UGLY................
Yagada Tauntbetter <Tribal Fury>
Yagada

Highscores: 14

Postby Horcrux » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Littleton, Colorado

Horcrux

Postby EQIsenhart » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:14 pm

It all depends on State/County/City ordinances, can't help ya unless I know about those.
EQIsenhart

Highscores: 2

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:57 pm

I would say, who gives a fuck. Make the company pay for it. It is their truck. Then, sue the company for mental anguish because you feared for your life. Then they can supply parties for you!
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby cliffy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 pm

1407.5 Splash guards - when required.
(1) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires: (a) “Splash
guard” means mud flaps, rubber, plastic, or fabric aprons, or other devices directly
behind the rear-most wheels, designed to minimize the spray of water and other
substances to the rear.
(b) “Splash guards” must, at a minimum, be wide enough to cover the full tread of the
tire or tires being protected, hang perpendicular from the vehicle not more than ten
inches above the surface to the street or highway when the vehicle is empty, and
generally maintain their perpendicular relationship under normal driving conditions.
(2) Except as otherwise permitted in this section, no vehicle or motor vehicle shall be
driven or moved on any street or highway unless the vehicle is equipped with splash
guards.
(3) This section does not apply to:
(a) Passenger-carrying motor vehicles registered pursuant to 42-3-134
(4), C.R.S.;
(b) Trucks and truck tractors registered pursuant to section 42-3-134 (12) or (13),
C.R.S., having an empty weight of ten thousand pounds or less;
(c) Trailers equipped with fenders or utility pole trailers;
(d) Vehicles while involved in chip and seal or paving operations or road widening
equipment;
(e) Truck tractors or converter dollies when used in combination with other vehicles;
(f) Vehicles drawn by animals; or
(g) Bicycles.
Source: MTC 2003 section added.

There you go Horc.
cliffy

Postby Horcrux » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:31 pm

cliffy wrote:(b) Trucks and truck tractors registered pursuant to section 42-3-134 (12) or (13),
C.R.S., having an empty weight of ten thousand pounds or less;

99% sure our trucks fall into this category. Not sure what the registerred persuant to section thing means, gotta look that up. But I know our trucks are under 10,000 lbs.

Horcrux

Postby Meso » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:43 pm

put an old mud flap on (that blends in and looks like it's always been there. take pictres, and convince the judge that the cop is loony.
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Make sure you use the mudflaps with the chicks and their big titties on them.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Worff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Or Yosimite Sam
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Serano » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:22 pm

you should be able to beat that in court. go with the law, don't even bring up the profiling. it won't get you anywhere
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Nicenorm » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:28 pm

can we get an update on this? very curious as to how this turns out now LOL
Nicenorm

Postby Horcrux » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:51 pm

Nicenorm wrote:can we get an update on this? very curious as to how this turns out now LOL

We wound up being insanely busy over the last week, the window of opportunity to go in to court. The whole no sooner than 20 days, no later than 30 thing. So we said to hell with it, and payed the $33 fine. However, we did find out that our trucks are not required to have mudflaps. And, as a total "screw you" to the anal retentive police in my area, we removed mudflaps from half our vehicles, and now carry written documentation stating our trucks are not required to have mudflaps. No ones got pulled over for it yet again, but I'm hoping its me so I can stick that paper in the cops face :).

Horcrux

Postby Stonecrush » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Not to sound like a pussy but why make enemies with the police if yah don't have to? If he tried to write yah a ticket over it then yah wave it in his face but I wouldn't just start causing trouble just to prove a personal point against those that have the power to mess with yah.
Stonecrush

Postby Worff » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Yeah I'm a big fan of keeping a low profile as far as cops go. I never give them a reason to mess with me anyway, but I've called them before like to file a report because someone stole a stereo out of my truck a few years back, and they pretty much treated me like I was a criminal also. Of course they couldn't find anything to mess with me about, but I felt betrayed. So unless it's serious, I'll never call them again, I'll take care of the problem myself... like I did whippin that dudes ass that stole some money from my sister-in-law.

Ever watch the cop shows on TV? Pretty much everything starts with "a simple traffic stop". Of course those are extreme cases that result in high-speed pursuits... but the point is just don't give them a reason to pull you over... stay off their radar so to speak, pun intended. My main problem with them is their developed "generalized" thinking process... but the real problems lie with some of the stupid laws on the lawbooks they are hired to enforce. Also internal politics and quotas are a problem... giving the cops incentives to fuck with you to begin with. Let's say you have a flat tire and are pulled over changing it... nowadays that gives a cop a reason to jack with you, not that you need it since a flat tire is already a bad day, but they will. I fail to see the probable cause there, but I guess they don't seem to need it anymore. They are hoping you have a tail light out or expired sticker they can ticket you for. Also, they are more like a military now with their arms, organization, and equipment... I'm not saying we don't need cops, but I know an army when I see one. It's gotten out of hand IMO.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Next

Return to Real Life and Opinion