Digital Television

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

Digital Television

Postby Bilnick » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:25 pm

One year from today analog over the air television broadcasts will cease. Are you ready for digital?
Bilnick
Officer

Re: Digital Television

Postby Goofydoofy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Do people still use rabbit ears?
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Serano » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:42 pm

You know -that one year from now deadline has come and gone 3 times so far. but I do think this one will be the charm. It just pisses me off that the FCC is giving away our TAX money to people that won't be able to receive the new broadcast. ITs ridiculous. TV is not a right - or a guranteed freedom or whatever. to charge TAX payers the cash so that peeps can get new TV is terrible.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Horcrux » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Bilnick wrote:One year from today analog over the air television broadcasts will cease. Are you ready for digital?

Where is the source, or is it a guess? Personally, it won't effect me much. The few series that I follow, I watch online on the networks websites. They are normally posted 1-2 days after the air date, so you don't get to see it right away, but you do get to see it at a time that conveniences you and without as many commercials. I've not used my TV to watch TV in a long time. All it is for anymore is for video games or movies.
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Postby Bilnick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 am

Horcrux wrote:Where is the source, or is it a guess?

Not a guess.....The Federal Communications Commission

Goofydoofy wrote:Do people still use rabbit ears?

I never did until about 4 weeks ago when I bought my HDTV. I wanted to watch the NFL playoffs in HD, but I still only had standard def (480p)DirecTV. I had my wife buy a $9 set of rabbit ears. I was kind of surprised at the number of channels I could get. The local NBC channel for instance was very poor reception with the analog tuner, yet crystal clear with the digital tuner.

I also found that many local stations have 2 or more channels. In Detroit channel 4 is the NBC channel. They broadcast 2 digital channels though 4-1 which is the digital/HD feed of the normal network programming, and 4-2 which is a 24 hr local weather channel. Channel 31 broadcast 4 different digital channels. Cable and satellite only carried one of them. The local PBS channel has multiple channels of digital broadcasting as well. In the spring, I am definitely going to install a rooftop antenna. I live almost in the middle of three broadcast markets and should be able to receive quite a few channels.

Serano wrote:It just pisses me off that the FCC is giving away our TAX money to people that won't be able to receive the new broadcast.

Are you referring to the coupon program for a converter box? Or that the government gave, rather than sold, a digital channel to each broadcaster that was broadcasting in analog in the mid 90s?
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Fenina » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm kind of surprised it is such a big issue. Over here there are only really 2 or so channels broadcast that can be picked up over the air and even then the quality of that is horrible. I think almost everyone uses at least basic cable or satellite for TV. I was at the local electronics store the other day and did see a fairly cheap converter box for about $30 to $40 which would allow for multiple input formats to connect with older TVs like the ancient one in my bedroom.

Is broadcast over the air a really big thing in the US?
Got Zombie?
1-800-ZMB-KILLS

ImageImageImage
Fenina
Officer

Highscores: 2

Postby Bilnick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Supposedly 16 million households in the US rely on OTA for television. I have a very old 13" tv in my garage that uses rabbit ears.

Try watching a digital channel over the air. It is very nice. You either get a crystal clear picture or you get a blank screen. I got a crystal clear picture on the FOX 2 digital channel while the analog channel was barely able to be seen.

Before I had Directv hi def hooked up i played with a 9$ set of rabbit ears hoked to my tv.

I was able to get:
Detroit stations
2 Fox HD
4-1 NBC HD
4-2 local weather channel SD
7-1 ABC HD
7-2 local weather channel SD
20 used to be WB...i don't know what they call it now MY network? HD
31-1 ION network SD
31-2 some kids network quobo I think SD
31-3 religious network SD
31-4 spanish channel SD
50 used to be UPN but now merged with the MY network HD
56-1 PBS HD
56-2 PBS SD
56-3 PBS SD
62 CBS HD

Toledo OH stations
24-1 ABC or NBC don't recall

Lansing, MI

I could probably pull in the CBC station in Windsor, ON if I had a roof antenna (Yay Hockey Night in Canada)

There were a bunch of other stations I was able to get but I am not sure where they are broadscast from.

The US government is giving two $40 coupons per household to buy converter boxes for people that use OTA.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Fenina » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't believe we actually have digital OTA here, it is actually the first time that I've heard about it really. I'm just used to OTA being very snowy 2 to 3 channels with no good content.
Got Zombie?
1-800-ZMB-KILLS

ImageImageImage
Fenina
Officer

Highscores: 2

Postby Meso » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:46 pm

over the air television broadcasts

I sorta remember those.
But then I also remember having only 3 TV stations to choose from (and a couple years in canada with only one TV station). Used to be those 3 stations signed off at midnite and all there was for the rest of the night were test patterns.
oh, and even had to get out of the chair and cross the room to change the channel. :jester
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Return to Real Life and Opinion