The fun site I mentioned last night

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

The fun site I mentioned last night

Postby Serano » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:14 am

http://www.alternet.org/

Lots of I think I am well informed writers there.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Uilea » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:20 am

reading that gave me a headache, but i found a worse one http://www.foxnews.com/politics/index.html
Uilea

Postby Bilnick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:22 am

Per our discussion last night....

The top 20% of individuals income-wise pay nearly 65% of all federal taxes (and 82% of income taxes)

The bottom 20% pay 1%.....

The top 1% pay over 20% of all federal taxes.....

Fair???

Source: Congressional Budget Office 2002/2003 tax years
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Areo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:22 am

Ok, I read the first page of the top article and I still have no idea what point he is trying to make. Seems like he just wants to join in on the pointing fingers.
Areo

Postby Naiin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Bilnick wrote:Per our discussion last night....

The top 20% of individuals income-wise pay nearly 65% of all federal taxes (and 82% of income taxes)

Fair???

Source: Congressional Budget Office 2002/2003 tax years

Didnt hear your discussion... but income tax is an indirect tax and was supposed to be for the war effort of "The war to end all wars" (World War I) and tehn removed after we paid for the war.... wow must have been an expensive war. 1784, thats the year the constitution was ratfied and we actually... legally became a soveriegn nation with agreed upon laws and regulations of Govt. conduct. 1913 is the first year the income tax was instituted.... 129 years we managed to support ourselves as a country w/o digging into the pocket of everyone who earned a dime... through the War of 1812, Spanish American War (I am enjoying my $50 refund on my taxes this years as my one time reimbursement from Uncle Sam overtaxing us for that War... the Federal telephone excise tax.... another story), the Civil War...

Conspiracy Theory =/ .. these people see them everywhere... still good info tho

What does the law say? There are two kinds of federal taxes, only two: direct and indirect. There is no third kind of federal tax. The law - the Constitution - says that all federal taxes must be one or the other. In Brushaber v. Union Pacific (240 US 1), in 1915, the US Supreme Court ruled that the income tax is legal (constitutional), but that it is an indirect tax.

Indeed, in Stanton v. Baltic Mining (240 US 103), just a year later, the same judges said the same thing and added that their previous ruling, in Brushaber, created "no new power of taxation." In other words, Brushaber limited the federal government’s power to tax rather than expand it; limited it by forcefully explaining where that power could not reach. Nothing had changed since the Court ruled the income tax unconstitutional in 1894, in Pollock v. Farmers’ Loan & Trust (158 US 601).

Our countries propensity to request our Govt. to act outside the scope of the Constitution has resulted in our need for this tax.... in other areas of the world, extended families and community involvement are doing the work we ask our Govt to do (elderly care, child care, child education, health care, etc) and thusly we plummet towards marxism (yeah taking from the rich vis a vie taxes and giving to the poor vis a vie Earned Income Credit is Marxism.. plain and simple.. read the book).

Any peoples that would trade liberty for security, deserves neither and is doomed to lose both.... Benjamin Franklin... you how little our country thinks of him... /sarcasim off
The Way of the soft and yielding overcomes the Way of the strong and hard,
yet few are the number of those who follow this Way. -Tao Te Ching
Naiin

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Suicide is the only option.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Aboobaka » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:20 pm

/fart
Aboobaka

Postby Worff » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:43 pm

Goofydoofy wrote:Suicide is the only option.

You go first and tell us how it worked out :P
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 pm

I tried and failed. Somebody show me how to do it right.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Worff » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:17 pm

hehe I'm a noob
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

here ya go goofy

Postby eeventinee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:16 pm

"The path to geekdom for this child has already been paved in 12-sided dice and character sheets."

Long live the poor child named Firiona Vie
eeventinee

Postby eeventinee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:18 pm

for goofy, id prolly go with the last method.
"The path to geekdom for this child has already been paved in 12-sided dice and character sheets."

Long live the poor child named Firiona Vie
eeventinee

haha

Postby bill » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Shit I haven't checked in on Maddox since he published his book, that I forgot I wanted to buy!
bill

Postby Zyzzerzazz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:29 pm

Per our discussion last night....

Fair???

LOL FAIR ???

How much money per year do you think that 1% of the polulation makes?
I would bet 300 million+/year......

How much do you think that bottom 20% makes per year, I would say less then 30k/year.....

I would be willing to bet, that the top 1% people, sell overpriced required liveing resources to the bottom 20%. AKA without the bottom 20% earners, the top 1% would not be so rich!

So - the rich pay a higher % in taxes to keep the poor alive, thus the poor can keep paying the rich!

THUS - when the rich pay taxes, they are investing in their own future wealth!

The only thing that these stats show me, is the HUGE gap of wealth in our country/economy. And I totally HATE that fact.
Zyzzerzazz Guildkilla
Tribal Fury

"Satisfaction guaranteed or 96% of your experience back!"
Zyzzerzazz

Postby lerchinc » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:02 pm

And it shows the basic flaw in trickle down economics. I love it when one of my republican friends tell me that the rich reinvest in the economy. No they save their money. Hence the reason why they are rich. They make money and keep it. The middle class...hell even the upper middle class constantly try to reinvest to make their lives better. These are the people that are taking risks in this economy. These are the people that are driving this economy. All the 1% do is move their money around to limit loss. When you get to that 1% your not so much worried about growth anymore your worried about loss.
lerchinc

Next

Return to Real Life and Opinion