M.I.A

Pathfinder Arataurn Truebow
70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

Postby Calthine Faeriesong » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:48 pm

:haha2:
Calthine Faeriesong
--------------
"Vengance is counterproductive, always. Not to mention the fact it gets your soul all sticky." Lady Sally McGee
Calthine Faeriesong
Lurker

Postby Serano » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:44 pm

purdy funny
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Calthine Faeriesong » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:33 am

OMG they just showed this in the Today show and they're interviewing the creators :) too frigging cool!
Calthine Faeriesong
--------------
"Vengance is counterproductive, always. Not to mention the fact it gets your soul all sticky." Lady Sally McGee
Calthine Faeriesong
Lurker

Postby Champion Flogger » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:26 am

TV coverage has caused flooding.. it's broke right now.. :sad:
[URL=http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=297660] PRALLIC PUREEDGE
Epic Knight[/url]
Champion Flogger
Lurker

Postby Calthine Faeriesong » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:53 am

omg, someone's getting these guys for copyright infringement:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,128 ... ories_html
Calthine Faeriesong
--------------
Calthine Faeriesong
Lurker

Postby Aboobaka » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:37 am

Yeah, and as usual, it backfired. It's more popular than ever :razz Just goes to show that bad publicity is still good publicity.
Aboobaka

Postby Calthine Faeriesong » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:11 pm

Calthine Faeriesong
--------------
Calthine Faeriesong
Lurker

Postby beallzaman » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:51 am

All this because fo a freaking song, God did weird Al ever get this much shit?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
beallzaman

dammit!

Postby bill » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:40 am

Hehe, Beall if you read that first Wired article you would have seen the difference between a parody and what Jibjab did.

Weird Al would butcher songs to the point of hilarity.

Jibjab took the song note for note and didn't change any of it. That's an illegal maneuver Mean Gene!
bill

Postby Champion Flogger » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:43 am

Note for note.. maybe. Word for word... no way.

As someone who has had a hand in writing music, I would feel more appauled at someone butchering my song then someone that merely used it in this manner. Don't get me wrong, I like Weird Al.

Now, as I read this, it looks like the publisher would have had no beef if they had not used the song in it's entirety. I find even that hard to believe. Since the whole Napster saga, record labels and publishers have been on rampage. It's bled over into trying to litigate little bullshit like this. Eventually, creativity and art will suffer. If I write a song off the top of my head, and it even remotely sounds like another tune, the publisher/label of the like tune is able to sue these days. Innocent until proven guilty only barely applies; because in that case, I'd have to prove I hadn't copied all or part of the song, rather then them having to prove I had.

Oh, and don't let them fool ya. It wasn't about permission, it was about money. You have to pay for permission to use a song, except in rare cases where it for a charity and the artist makes the call.
[URL=http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=297660] PRALLIC PUREEDGE
Epic Knight[/url]
Champion Flogger
Lurker

hehe

Postby bill » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:33 pm

And what would Guthrie, who died in 1967, think of JibJab's use of his song? If a message reportedly written at the bottom of one of his songbook pages in the 1930s is any indication, it's possible he wouldn't mind.

According to various Internet sources, including the website of the Museum of Musical Instruments in Santa Cruz, California, Guthrie allegedly wrote, "This song is copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do.

Oh, in case there was any question, I don't think what Jibjab did was wrong at all. Thinking back about it, the difference I think Ludlow is going for is that Weird Al was making parodies of the actual song he was using whereas Jibjab was using the song accompanying his parody of the democratic and republican representatives for the upcoming presidential election. Is that a clearer explanation?
bill

Postby Calthine Faeriesong » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:13 pm

apples, oranges, it's all fruit salad.

Someone just got their nose outta joint 'cause JibJab didn't ask first is all. Weird Al had the same problem with Amish Paradise when a couple of agents mangled communications.

At least JibJab gave credit, which is more than a lot of 'net parodies do.
Calthine Faeriesong
--------------
Calthine Faeriesong
Lurker

Postby Aboobaka » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:29 pm

Look, this one goes dun dun dun da-da dun dun, dun dun dun da-da dun dun. When you hear mine, it goes dun dun dun da-da dun dun, DUN dun dun dun da-da dun dun. -- Vanilla Ice
Aboobaka

Next

Return to Humor