Things you did when you were a true newbie...

Enter at Your OWN risk.

Moderator: Officers

Postby Lyannah » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:23 pm

oh yea, wondering why peeps got angry when i helped them kill the mob
Lyannah

Postby Jaella » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:53 pm

I got another one!

On my ranger in BlackBurrow by the elite ledge. Saw some guy running down with a guard on his tail. I was gonna save him because obviously he was trying to flee so I dotted the mob and started whacking away.

All of a sudden I'm surrounded by this group of people also whacking at the mob and the first guy says "back off!!" and some other rude stuff.

I get all sad because I was only trying to help the guy. Oh well, I go back upstairs and then - woot - I get an xp message, quickly followed by a tell: "KSER". I had no idea what that meant and I didn't know why he was so mad. :jester
Jaella
Tired

Postby Keld » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:59 pm

I remember the very first time I played, EQ had that funky UI with the small view port for the world. I thought it was awesome! It was on Tunare I made a Wood Elf Ranger named Keldramir. He was awesome! I talked to the GM Ranger and got all the quests I could. I began to approach a rope bridge but I wasn't so used to the controls! DOWN I went and I fell to my death :(. Next thing I saw would be on my screen almost 24/7...
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

I remember once a high level druid (probably level 50) came to Crushbone and visited the TR. I was around level 15 which I thought was bad ass. The druid casted group wolf form, gave us all damage shields and some regen. I was loving life so much! Then a wizard or mage came and was showing off his high damage nukes. I was so awe struck.

I remember visiting so many other zones, Oasis of Marr, Befallen, Unrest just to name a few. I remember my first boat ride. I took the boat to OOT. I heard that it was a zone for high levels and heck I'm a ranger - I supposed to explore these dangerous places. So I here I am on the boat and I decide to get close to the edge. Next thing I know I'm zoning in to OOT and when I'm zoned in I happen to fall off! So I try to swim back to BBM but some reason I can't. I spend like 3 hours swimming to an island and find that theres a huge dinosaur named Alizesaurous or something like that. I /ooc for some help and directions. Someone says swim to loc XXX XXX. I had no idea what that was. Finally a druid comes and gives me Levi and SOW and I feel like I've been saved. He brings me back to his group who are killing cyclops and I'm just wowed. I end up being given a port out to one of the Karanas.. and then started another adventure.

I had some really noob moments ... wish I could get some of my old Screenshots from my older computer!

Keld

Postby Redeemed » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:43 pm

Oooh! I got a new one just happened too!

Windowing out of EQ to read this rediculous topic windowing back to eq to find out that I just killed my berserker!

*Barelron*
~~ 75 Cleric ~~
*Liquidator*
~~ 83 Berserker ~~

"A raid wipe is nothing more than a Beautiful Disaster"
Redeemed

Postby Horcrux » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:55 pm

Couple funny ones...

I had been playing for a couple hours, experimenting with a couple characters. I knew of Butcherblock and GFay is all for the most part. However, when on my high elf enchanter in GFay, someone I was talking to was in butcherblock all of a sudden on his high elf. I was like "wow, you can take your chars elsewhere to where another char starts? I thought you had to create a char there to play there". Then a few days later I figured out BB was connected to GFay...

Oh, and when my enchanter was 11, my friend gave me a Staff of Writhing. I was uber with that skull on a stick, and thought myself unkillable. I wandered into LFay thinking killing there might be good. And had a partner (as much a noob as I was) with me. We stumbled across Equestrielle. I said we could take her, considering a red con meant the mob was only 3 levels above you. So my friend went to charge her and I started casting a spell. Equestrielle didnt even miss a step charging as he ran over my friend and took off after me. I ran for a bit, and then just died. And as the camera floated over my corpse, I saw some weird little brown man runninga cross my body. Damn Brownies! I had to start my char over because I couldn't find the corpse and I lost my uber Staff of Writing :(
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Postby ThinkInk » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:08 pm

How about a Noob moment that lasted about 4 years!

You click on your desktop shortcut to EQ.
Patcher runs. Auto Play is selected.
Black screen with Sony logo appears and last for about 2 minutes. I wait patiently everyday!

Finally I get sick of waiting because it just takes so long to load all the other kwap afterwards why to I have to stare at this screen for so long?

So I asked, in open Guild chat!

Duhhh!
ThinkInk

Postby Aboobaka » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:16 am

Heh it took me a few years to figure that out too :jester
Aboobaka

Postby Lyannah » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:37 am

Reminds me of another - thinking my monitor broke mid-battle when I got blinded by the reaver in CoM
Lyannah

Postby arielyn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:37 pm

i had just started playing when I met a young ranger named serano. As we entered the vast wilderness of Everfrost he used emote to say

Serano shivers from the cold.

To which I promptly replied
"you can actually get cold in this game????"

I'm sure he had a good chuckle about that.

and another one was when I finally got my mask of deception and decided to show it off

In the middle of Kelethin.......

My Crappy Gear

www.worksinfaith.org
My Sister's non profit organization.
arielyn
Lurker

Postby Worff » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:39 pm

Fell into the water when getting off the shuttle that ferried you from BB docks to the big ship that went to FV... I rode to FV on the rudder of the ship, as I couldn't find a way to get on the ship and I was afraid it would sail off into the sunset with me in the water :P
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Naiin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:17 pm

Got my first set of rain spells....... took me a few deaths to figure out I was killing myself.... I put the rain spells away... as I didnt want to kill my party members also..... =/

BTW rain spells and aoes are bad in the arena in Kael..... its pvp and you end up nuking the raid.... *blush
The Way of the soft and yielding overcomes the Way of the strong and hard,
yet few are the number of those who follow this Way. -Tao Te Ching
Naiin

Postby Wamadoorn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:18 pm

Well since I've only been playing for about 1.5 years, most of my newbie moments are on Wama, since he's my first character and always has been my main... I know I did some dumb stuff since I was trying to figure stuff out by myself and not bother anyone with stupid questions or was too embarrassed to ask for help when I needed it.

* Fear of swimming: The raft in the Halas harbor moved when I got on it and it freaked me out, and I fell in. I didn't know about looking up to jump out of the water... so after about 10 minutes of swimming around and treading water I gave up. I was too scared to go get my corpse because I knew I could never get out of that oh so dangerous harbor, so my body stayed down there for I don't know how many days. Every time I went back and forth to Everfrost I would look down at it on the bottom longing to retrieve my stuff somehow...

* Running blind: Hunting was really hit or miss for me in my awful gear, soloing in this huuuuge Everfrost zone. I explored everywhere, often got in a lot of trouble because monsters would seem to pop out of nowhere and start beating the crap outta me... crossing the river or going too far south = instant death. Sometimes I could make it back to the guards, but lots of times I went down like a brick... desperately trying to type /loc in time so I could find my corpse again, or else i would be stumbling through the snow of the general region in a circular search pattern to find it again. Got so frustrated over this I almost quit. Then one day I found and played with the video options, and discovered that the default far clip pane was set sooo short, and expanding it I could suddenly see for what seemed like miles! It was a whole new world!

* Heavy lifting: Sometime after starting my newbie armor quests, I started having major problems with getting encumbered. The funny thing was, it seemed to get worse and worse. I thought man, this game is punishing on weight limits! A few days later, I realized something that I looted wasn't in my inventory, and even after I sold everything I was STILL encumbered! Then I found the 'experiment' button on my deluxe sewing kit, where all my large items had gone to while looting and I had been lugging around the entire time.

That bug owes me $$!: Oh and I remember the first time I fought a lightcrawler in Maru Seru. I thought my monitor crapped out, I was so pissed... sound was going, game still running but I was gonna die because of my stupid hardware. Then it came back on and I was happy! Then it went off again and I checked all my cables, maybe one was working loose. Oh that must have done it, now I can see again. Monster dead, I can relax. The next day it happened again. I was instantly pissed again, my monitor really is going bad and I'm gonna have to shell out money for a new one...wtf it isn't that old! Then after the fight was over and my screen came back, someone mentioned hating being blinded and it dawned on me.... I == dork.
<this is where a cool sig image would go>

Wama's Lame Crap
Wamadoorn

Highscores: 6

Postby Naiin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:24 pm

I have a female warrior Vah Shir that Clarr made on my acct to see if she liked EQ (I let her have 4 of the 8 slots to create and expiriment w/). Toons Name was Mrow Drunkenkitty (I say was becasue its now Mrow Fookclarr) because she quickly became a master brewer and drank what she made while fighting..... LUB DSP Cave People!!!! Nothing like almost dying trying to kill a light blue mob because you are to drunk to stand.
The Way of the soft and yielding overcomes the Way of the strong and hard,
yet few are the number of those who follow this Way. -Tao Te Ching
Naiin

Postby genys » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:59 am

my biggiest newbie memory sigh
sitting in BB off by sfg farming for a bow becuase rangers wherent given one to start.

after working my way to the buttom ever so slowly and painfully but alive i set up camp and for day i collected arrows and more arrrows and more arrows , becuase they cost to much to make and thats all these guys droped which was good for me becuase i used them like crazy.

finaly a bow drops and i ding lvl 12 or 13 or so cant really remeber.
an i decide its time to leave my camp and head back to sfg. well the hole place had respawned and i had no idea monsters came back to lifee maybe i just missed this guy and his freind and his other freind wtf?

hey its cool i have 400 arrows i can make it out right i mean i have never seen a map i am down here on my memory all alone and dont even now how to /tell another player
need less to say off i go running lala haha i got all your arrows and a bow.
well training to zone i managed to servive everything i agroed only to head deeper and get eaten by snakes i dont think my train ever cuaght me

naked and in quyons haveing no idea where i am i spend day running around asking evey npc how do i get to BB noone ever ansewerd me and i never found my body i often go back looking for it but then now i dont need arrows anymore thank sony for endless quiver
genys

Postby Ayragon » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:38 pm

heheh....

being level 1 and trying to find my way from Surefall to Qeynos.....I ask another player by using the "H" Hail key as he runs by....He stops, we exchange niceties, and he informs me to "follow the path and that will lead to Qeynos". I /bow and we part company ( I was so excited to have just talked to my first real life player).

I run down the path towards Qeynos which seemed to take forever....past the house....hail all the quards who didn't say much...heheh. Finally I stop running to look into the distance which seems to be a path that goes on forever......../sigh, when all of a sudden another players appears right in front of me....I was like wow....thats cool........So I do my /hail and blah blah how do you get to Qeynos? ....he laughed and said just zone...to which I replied "thanks" and /bow.......

I had no idea what he was talking about, and decided to keep running......1 step later "Entering Qeynos".......apparently I was standing a few pixles from the zone line.....I was so happy
Ayragon

Highscores: 4

PreviousNext

Return to Humor