Things you did when you were a true newbie...

Enter at Your OWN risk.

Moderator: Officers

Postby Jaella » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:39 pm

I've had this in my mind for a while now - and servers are down so here we go.

I'd like to see you all contribute.

Things I did when I was a true newbie:

- Saw a skelly chasing a player and was going to save him because he was running away. Couldn't understand why I couldn't attack it. That was my first encounter with a necro pet.

- Had never heard of the PoK book and when I had to help a friend who had lost their corpse in East Commonlands I ran ALL THE WAY from Qeynos Hills through the Karana's, Highpass Hold and Kithicor (at night) at level 9 and I MADE IT!

- Was almost always grouped up with a shadowknight and I kept telling him to let me "take the beating" (ranger) because I could stand the beating. And he WAS wearing plate!

- First time I saw a group with a puller (in NRo) bringing the mobs to the camp and I was appalled by it because that was cheating!!!

- First time I grouped up with a cleric and got mad at him because he didn't help kill the mob but just sat there. I thought it was nice to get heals during the fight - which I wasn't used to - but I still got mad because he didn't help out.

- I met a very nice player who gave me a WHOLE BACKPACK full of equipment that was much better than what I had so I put it on. Was very confused when I logged on next time and all of it was gone.

- Didn't understand the word "taunt" (after all I AM Danish) so I just kept mashing that button during fights because hey, it's there, so I guess it something good.

- I always got lost and couldn't find my group - had no idea that I could track.

- A high level druid gave me a diamond once. I was completely euphoric because now I would NEVER have to worry about money EVER AGAIN!

I will probably remember more, but until then I'm looking forward to other peoples newbie experiences :)
Jaella
Tired

Postby Naiin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:57 pm

I have an SK on Rallos Zek.. I think ... wait its just Zek now isnt it? Well, anyways heres the point.... The Erudite SKs name is Imanoob last name was going to be Sofnkillme... but I had so much fun jumping in the Hole right out side the evil city that he never grew up.... who knew that jumping to your death would be so much fun!!!!!
The Way of the soft and yielding overcomes the Way of the strong and hard,
yet few are the number of those who follow this Way. -Tao Te Ching
Naiin

Postby Bilnick » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:03 pm

My original character was an Erudite cleric. As a newbie wandering around Tox Forest, I ran into Rungupp he attacked me, I ran, he then blinded me. Still running, I wandered into the river blind and promptly died. I had my newbie tunic and a few boxes I had bought or looted, quite a haul I must say, at least 10 gold worth. I searched for my corpse in the river for probably an hour before I found it, I though for sure I would lose all my valuables.

As a seasoned level 20 or so I decided to venture out from my initial farming grounds in the Qeynos and surrounding Karanas to the city of Freeport. I had heard stories about not crossing Kithicor forest at night, so I waited until the appropriate time with about 10 other people (and Atris) who were waiting as well. Made the trek across the forest no problem, zoned into the Commonlands and this dark elf Kizdean Gix beat the crap out of me. Ugh....now I had an hour corpse run since I was bound in Qeynos.

Another time I had taken the raft from Butcherblock to the boat in the Timorous Deep. I fell off the raft and could not get onto the ramp of the boat before it took off. Now I was stranded in this huge ocean....no maps...can't see any land....no clue where I was. So I swam....and swam....and swam. After about an hour I saw an island and headed to it. I got to the beach and promptly amped so I could print out a map from EQAtlas and hopefully make my way to safety, which I did. :)

I tried to get my brother in law to play EQ a few years ago. I set him up in some gear I had in my bank and sent him killing in the newbie yard in Qeynos. The next day he calls me and asks why people pray over the enemies they have just killed. I am wondering wtf he is talking about, and he tells me that after someone kills an enemy they kneel near the corpse and pray. I then explained to him that they are looting the corpses, not praying over them.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Zyzzerzazz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:25 pm

I made Zyzzerzazz 1.0 and leveled him to lv 3…..decided to explore the forests of Greater Fay – got lost – got killed by an orc pawn – couldn’t never find my body.

Lost all those Wasp and Bat wings – that one nice piece of Raw-hide leather, and I was pissed.

Ended up deleting Zyzzerzazz and made Zyzzerzazz 2.0 – put 20 points into his strength because I wanted to club those bats and orcs better.

Died in the WORST places in Dangors Caludren trying to get to Unrest.

Bought a Veluim Warhammer at lv 15 for 25pp – my life saevings – only to see the fucking message I don’t have the will to use this weapons effects ( uber Velium shards ) for the next 10 levels lol

What a waste of plat.

I had the worlds neatest spell book since I spent HOURS looking at the damn thing meditating.

Now-a-days my spell book looks like my computer desk - a mess!

Took a boat for the first time and die in the ocean from zoneing on the damn boat. I was pissed.

Thought fuckign enchanters rules the world with money because they sold sooo much jewlery.

Loved seeing WTS BABS 12/29 75pp - sending the seller a tell asking whats that.

Perfected the beg skill w/o ever clicking the beg button - I begged EVERYONE I saw with a full suit of bronze for anything I can sell or use.

I was good at roleplaying for a better chance of donation for begging - somthing like " By the power of Tunare, please grace my mortal being with gold and silver, or an item to use to heal the <insers> of the world!

lol

Got some silly replys and sometimes evenc a nice shiney piece of plat.../bite coin to chk for purity
Zyzzerzazz Guildkilla
Tribal Fury

"Satisfaction guaranteed or 96% of your experience back!"
Zyzzerzazz

Postby Bilnick » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:34 pm

zyzzerzazz wrote:Bought a Veluim Warhammer at lv 15 for 25pp – my life saevings – only to see the fucking message I don’t have the will to use this weapons effects ( uber Velium shards ) for the next 10 levels lol

What a waste of plat.

Haha I did the exact same thing, by the time I had the levels for the proc I had bought a Ghoulbane. (they were droppable back then, maybe they still are, dunno)
Bilnick
Officer

Re: Things you did when you were a true newbie...

Postby Worff » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:41 pm

Jaella wrote:Things I did when I was a true newbie:

I'm still a newb :P
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Uilea » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:58 pm

I don't remember many of my n00b moments. I'm sure I had a lot. I remember teaching Mosrael how to play and her getting SO PISSED because everytime she hit autoattack it went to say. So she'd end up standing in front of a mob /saying AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

One thing that really sticks out to me, if you look at the wiz snare spells they have "slows the mob's speed" in the description. So I got this PoI group in my 50s who was LF a slower and told them i could slow. They were very surprised once we pulled a mob!
Uilea

Postby Redeemed » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Clan Crushbone
A newbie shouts, DVINN IS LOOSE!
You have been slain by Ambassador Dvinn!

West Commonlands
The auction zone (obviously we were all n00bs cuz there was no bank in WC)

Rubicite Armor
Only the breastplate had a small amount of regen but you were oh so uber if you had red armor!

Dark elf Ranger in Green Plate
Enough said

Short Sword of Ykesha
Equal to about 1 billion plat in this era and it looked tottally different doubt any of you even recall what it looked like

and finally...

Plane of Fear
A swarm of idiots zerging to the safe spot hoping to camp before they die to a train of mobs. :thumbup

*Barelron*
~~ 75 Cleric ~~
*Liquidator*
~~ 83 Berserker ~~

"A raid wipe is nothing more than a Beautiful Disaster"
Redeemed

Postby Jahras » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Fished in surefall glade for several days to make money to buy lvl 1 spells, while trying to figure out where I could go to kill things. my gama was too low to be able to see to get through that cave.

Joined TF

Someone giving me a Skull of Jhen`Tra, and wearing mostly leather and cloth armor, and being called a twink at lvl 10 for it... and not knowing what twink meant.
Jahras

Highscores: 2

Postby Adlewiese » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:18 pm

-On the mage "gift bag" of armor, I remember running to the vendor and selling the crappy gear I did have after equiping all the new great stuff this guy gave me. Soooooo, not only was I naked the next time I logged on, I didn't have any of my old gear.

-I have no idea how many /shouts I had in RM one afternoon. I must have been about a level 20 something druid. I was really pissed that suddenly I could not cast any spells on a Hill Giant. Not only that, the giant would not aggro me. I inched all the way up to the mob and tried beating on it. Nothing happened. Yes, autoattack is on. WTF!!! So I start with the /shout Heh, does anyone know why I can't attack this hill giant?
Well, I was still right by the giant when the enchanter broke the charm and of course I went splat.
Adlewiese VonTrapp - TFshaman
Adlewiese

Postby Lyannah » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:29 pm

Losing my corpse in solA and not high enough to retrieve it, it rotted cos i didn't know about summoning :sad:

thinking the best weapons were sold on merchants, i saved for AGES to get a fine steel dagger for my wizzy and thought I was awesome cos it was the most expensive weapon the merchant had - of course once i saw the weaps from dulak they were the most uber and was sure thats what high end peeps used

when someone handed me 200pp cos I was naked and trying to kill stuff in nek forest, I thought I was rich, I decked myself out in merchant gear and had change $$ - I also used to love it when peeps killed the guard near lavastorm and left his bronze sword rotting when it got a few pp, why wouldn't they loot it and would they mind if i did?

being irritated you couldn't put gold in the shared bank

thinking clerics were the richest class cos they got donations for temp (its why i made a clr)

it took me forever to gear hunt in the baz cos the first time I went there it was bugged and i got stuck in a corner and couldnt get out - i had to camp and return home and didnt want to go back

feeling special because i got a message telling me the wayfare brotherhood wanted ME to help them, not just anybody
Lyannah

Postby lerchinc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:49 pm

Gating when I was in anguish for the first time this weekend..... :cry
lerchinc

Postby Angyish » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:54 pm

i ran through kithicor at night at level 19 already knowing what happens at night.

i survived.

its better to be lucky then smart.
Angyish hatesyouall
\www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1257831
my video (http://media.putfile.com/pactum)
retired
Angyish

Postby Magimay » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:02 pm

I have a million of them, but my favorite is thinking everytime I sold something to one of the vendors, I had to buy whatever they told "it looks like you could use". I would just turn around and sell it back to them (for a loss I might add) and buy something else the next time I sold.

Rob's ranger Retepga and Magi also spent a really long time trying to figure out how to get out of Surefall Glades because the tunnel was so dark we couldn't see. Took us hours of running into the walls.
Magimay

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Sigmund Freud
Magimay

Postby ThinkInk » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:03 pm

I actually started playing 3 weeks before Magimay came into being in a PVP server, don't recall which one. Never got past level 2, everytime I logged-in some higher up came by and whacked my arse. How was I to know what PVP stood for?
ThinkInk

Next

Return to Humor