oil and taxes

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

Postby Baromen » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:54 pm

I got a chance to sit in on a conference call with AG Edwards top Oil industry analyists. The way they saw it was oil companies were bad investments for so long and then made a ton of money recently and would like their profits to be seen leveled over the past 20 years so you can get a clear picture of what they are going through. They forsee more "hard times" like the 80s and 90s in the oil industry and don't expect this to go on forever.

As an investment I understand, but I'd love to see cheaper gas.

The best quote of the night was "You have to take a serious look at Canadian oil because that's the only place in the world you can drill for oil and not get shot at."

:punch: <--click me-->:-({|=
Baromen
Lurker

Postby Angyish » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:16 pm

[/quote]Sounds like a certain diamond industry...

fuckin debeers i hope he fucking chokes to death on a diamond encrusted dildo. that mother fucker has warehouses full of diamonds in south africa where the work people to death with slave labor and shoot anyone they even suspect of stealing from them.

just an fyi diamonds while being extremely hard materials are also extremely common in the grand scheme of jewels and are basically the same as quart in that their worthless. now in practical application for diamond edged things they work great and are very valuable but as for jewelry really its the same as sticking a rock around your neck and going LOOK AT ME!
Angyish hatesyouall
\www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1257831
my video (http://media.putfile.com/pactum)
retired
Angyish

Postby Worff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:36 pm

Baromen wrote:The best quote of the night was "You have to take a serious look at Canadian oil because that's the only place in the world you can drill for oil and not get shot at."

Gotta agree with ya there, bro. And its much closer and don't have search in hundreds of feet of water lol.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Jamjum » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:36 pm

not defending debeers just putting a small fact out there.

diamonds aren't expensive. they're quite common.. this is a generality.

a specific for you now. jewel quality diamonds are extremely rare.

most diamonds are very very flawwed, but are still very useful due to their especial hardness.

that said i wont pay thousands of dollars for a rock 1/8th the size of an annoying shoe pebble.

Me and my wives wedding rings cost us under 400 dollars total. And we are happy with them.. we weren't marrying the diamonds.
Image-ImageImage
Jamjum

Postby Worff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Agreed, Q.

Angyish wrote:just an fyi diamonds while being extremely hard materials are also extremely common in the grand scheme of jewels and are basically the same as quartz in that their worthless. now in practical application for diamond edged things they work great and are very valuable but as for jewelry really its the same as sticking a rock around your neck and going LOOK AT ME!

Aye hehe .. marketers created a hype that really stuck and gave the perception of value to them. Then attached it to a non-commercial ideal (love) that made it take off like Santa and Christmas lol. And boy, if you dont pay huge prices for that rock, you must not be capable of true love :P How manay carats = true love? hehe .. Anyway before you hate me, ladies, rofl, I'm just saying this to convey the basic idea of how they got so valuable.

Anyone remember the "Pet Rock" fad, back in the 70's wasnt it? /smirk
Worff
Webmaster

Postby Reck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Just to let you guys know.

Canada

Largest reserves of oil in the world.
Largest producer of natural gas.
Largest producer of Uranium
Largest producer of Potash
Largest producer of Diamonds
Largest producer of Nickel
Largest producer of Platinum
Largest producer of Aluminum
Largest reserves of fresh water
Only region on the planet with an increasing size of forest.

So next time you say something bad about Canada, remember most raw materials are coming from your neighbour to the north.

And we can crash your economy by shutting of the pipe of natural gas and oil. Muhahaha.
Has anyone seen my penny?
Reck

Postby Drigarx » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:00 pm

Reck wrote:
And we can crash your economy by shutting of the pipe of natural gas and oil. Muhahaha.

And what do you think the impact would be on your economy? Kinda a nobrainer answer isn't it?
Drigarx
King cowpie

Highscores: 6

Postby Reck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Thats why we are buddy buddy with China.
Reck

Postby Worff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:17 pm

Reck wrote:So next time you say something bad about Canada, remember most raw materials are coming from your neighbour to the north.

Someone said something bad about Canada? I missed it I guess lol. I like Canada they get free DirecTV and Dave can't touch em :P Although they tried many times, unless its changed, DTV is legally considered a "foreign signal" by the higher ranking Canadian judges.
Worff
Webmaster

aye

Postby bill » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Largest producer

This is due to technology not available to the rest of the world. From whom? You guessed it. US.

Canada and the US go way back, I just hope they can reconcile this whole lumber industry fiasco. From what I see, the US is looking like huge assholes, but maybe Canada is getting too pushy, I don't know.

All I do know is from my ignorant perception of things, the US is not giving Canada much slack on allegations of using the Govt. to help subsidize Canada's lumber industry to edge in on American cash.

But America is trying to do "something" about it by forcing tariffs and bullying Canada around. I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

I've never been to Canada, but damn some of the nicest people I have evar met are from the freezer we know as Canada /chuckle
bill

Postby Reck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:24 pm

Okay the interesting thing about DirectTV is, its not illegal to have the equipment and to received the signal its just illegal to sell the equipment.

But you can buy a Bell ExpressVu or StarChoice system and load the DirectTV software and get it that way. :) But makes no sense sine you can get most of the channels on ExpressVu and StarChoice.

Same goes to Americans you want to get better hockey coverage buy a ExpressVu or StarChoice system and you get all the Canadian converage.
Reck

Postby Bilnick » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm

Reck wrote:Same goes to Americans you want to get better hockey coverage buy a ExpressVu or StarChoice system and you get all the Canadian converage.

I just watch CBC.

Canada needs to bring the dollar bill back, I hate those stupid coins.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Reck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:35 pm

Okay my perspective on the lumber issue.

Background information.

Canada allows logging on Crown land (Government owned land) with no stumpage fees, but the rule is you cut one you plant 2. Clear cutting is not allowed. Only selective cuttings techniques can be used.

From what I know of the US system is there is a stumpage fee for each tree cut.

Do to the fact Canadian companies that decide to use Crown Land don’t have to pay for the land but just an access right, the US looks at this as subsidizing the industry.

But the reason this is done is to control deforestation, which in Canada is no longer an issue.

The US claimed that we are flooding their market with subsidized lumber and placed 27-38% tariffs on imports of Canadian lumber. Which under NAFTA is against the law, and NAFTA and the WTO have ruled that the tariffs are illegal. But the US government does not want to listen to that.

Now our stupid Conservative government has agreed to a really crappy deal. Man I hate the Conservatives. Which limits Canada's market share in the US, and forces a tax on all lumber products, and only sees 78% of the tariffs collected returned to the lumber companies.

This is what I have watched and read.
Reck

Postby Reck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Loonie = 1$ coin (called a loonie because the bird on it is a Loon)
Twoonie = 2$ coin (called a twoonie as a joke but caught on)

We have a 5$ coin coming soon

We are getting rid of the penny and replacing with a 3 pence.
Reck

Postby Worff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Reck wrote:Loonie = 1$ coin (called a loonie because the bird on it is a Loon)
Twoonie = 2$ coin (called a twoonie as a joke but caught on)

We have a 5$ coin coming soon

We are getting rid of the penny and replacing with a 3 pence.

$5 = Froony
$10 = Choony

hehe had to throw some corny EQ humor into it.
Worff
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Real Life and Opinion