Military Training Should be Mandatory

Want to talk politics, religion, opinion, or Current events? go here.

Moderator: Officers

Re: Military Training Should be Mandatory

Postby Worff » Thu May 10, 2007 10:33 am

Ceruis wrote:I think military training should be mandatory for all physically able high school and college students because it will expose young adults to the military which is not very well understood by today’s society.

I think Hitler did that .. sounds like brainwashing to me.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby eeventinee » Thu May 10, 2007 10:53 am

wow, I dont even know where to begin.

First, I would agree, there is an aspect of brainwashing here.

Second, You want to increase military spending...It is already up in the 400-500 billion range dwarfing that of all other nations and also dwarfing our spending on other things that you may not find all that important like education. I dont know about you but I would like htere to be books for everyone in our highschools before I'd worry about brainwashing. But I guess when you are trying to hide the truth, books are the enemy.

Third, this will only reinforce the rest of the worlds view of us as warmongers.

All in all, huge success this program.
"The path to geekdom for this child has already been paved in 12-sided dice and character sheets."

Long live the poor child named Firiona Vie
eeventinee

Postby Serano » Thu May 10, 2007 11:09 am

What I meant by this was if the Republicans of today has the courage of their convictions they would call up the draft and get this over with. As a country the US could call up the kind of response that Alan is asking for. But instead of doing this right we went in half assed without a plan to get it done. The leaders of this country particularly the Sec of Defense tried to reinvent the wheel. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!

Again - the topic that you are refering to eludes me. call up a draft and get this over with? If you are talking about the occupation of Iraq - more soldiers would not fix our occupation in Iraq. There are a couple options in Iraq. kill more people or leave. We could kill plenty more people with who is there - that is not currently our objective. Drafting everyone or random people of conscription age and sending them to Iraq would do nothing but put even more of the wrong people in Iraq screwing up things. If we leave that certainly doesn't take more troops.

Essentially - The Iraq people do not have a spirit of nationalism that allows for cooperation. They will continue to blow each other up and the US soldiers there until 1 - 8 years after the US leaves. They will not stop until a Militia leader steps up with the US gone and establishes a new dictatorial Government ala Hamas and re-establishes order.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Ceruis » Thu May 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Horcrux wrote:And, coming from someone whos written enough essays for college, yours is not too well written (to be blunt). You barerly touch on the what and why of your topic, and overbalance it with the how. That and theres a ton of gramatical errors in it.

Gramatical errors have always been a major problem for me. The reason is probably my 10th grade education level. When you said I overbalanced it with the how I could immediately see it was so. Thanks for the help.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Re: Military Training Should be Mandatory

Postby Naiin » Thu May 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Dont knock anyone for grammatical errors.. didnt recall anyone asking for a grade.... I exempted out of ALL my college english.. with one test... my grammar and spelling are the fucking suck though... go figure. Just ask him to clarify a point....

Worff wrote:
Ceruis wrote:I think military training should be mandatory for all physically able high school and college students because it will expose young adults to the military which is not very well understood by today’s society.

I think Hitler did that .. sounds like brainwashing to me.

It was called the Hitler Youth... have freinds w/ grandparents that were in it... it was not something you could say no to

Have some freinds that their grandparents survived 2 years in Auschwitz... old fuckers are hard as nails... btw that was something you couldnt say no to either....

Mandatory does not = freedom

Freedom is EXPENSIVE and must be paid in blood and labor... dont take my freedom because others cant raise their children correctly... its called personal responsibilty... never seen crack smoke itself, never seen a gun kill anyone(seen plenty of ppl kill others w/ guns...), never seen money steal itself.... guns, drugs, and money are not the root of evil... we are.... these are just our tools...

I was just following orders has been used to justify terrible crimes....
The Way of the soft and yielding overcomes the Way of the strong and hard,
yet few are the number of those who follow this Way. -Tao Te Ching
Naiin

Postby Ceruis » Thu May 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Real quick cuz I'm tired.

Your confusing military training with military service. All the proposal asks for is one 9 week session of training during high school and one semester of ROTC during college. The proposal doesn't call for a term of service beyond that. The military does not brainwash anyone. Spend some time around a military unit before you judge us brainwashed.
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Postby Naiin » Thu May 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Ceruis wrote:Real quick cuz I'm tired.

Your confusing military training with military service. All the proposal asks for is one 9 week session of training during high school and one semester of ROTC during college. The proposal doesn't call for a term of service beyond that. The military does not brainwash anyone. Spend some time around a military unit before you judge us brainwashed.

I dont care if you are asking them for tiddley-winks for 9 weeks.... manadatory does not = freedom
The Way of the soft and yielding overcomes the Way of the strong and hard,
yet few are the number of those who follow this Way. -Tao Te Ching
Naiin

Postby Meso » Thu May 10, 2007 2:11 pm

The military does not brainwash anyone

One of the focus points of boot camp. Break you down and then build you back up - to milspec standards.
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu May 10, 2007 2:21 pm

I liked Hitler in the same way I like George Bush. At least they tried to take over the world and make everybody do things their way.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Horcrux » Thu May 10, 2007 6:02 pm

Naiin wrote:
Ceruis wrote:Real quick cuz I'm tired.

I dont care if you are asking them for tiddley-winks for 9 weeks.... manadatory does not = freedom

The college semester going to be free or would we have to pay for a mandatory semester? Either way seems outrageous. The cost if it was free would be insane on the government, and the cost for people to put themselves through college is allready steep.
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Postby Angyish » Thu May 10, 2007 6:30 pm

The military does not brainwash anyone.

and i am loved by every member of tribal fury.

everyone has pointed out what is exactly wrong with your idea.

I'll just go ahead and say this, it is morally unethical to mandate ROTC and basic training into college and highschool respectively. You want to make things better?

Get rid of no child left behind, let kids who want to drop out drop out, the necesarry books and materials required would thus go down as a portion of highschool students would drop out, either getting GED's and pursueing tech school or becoming burger flippers. Either way, you won't have packed class rooms(as badly anyways) school systems will be able to afford to buy newer text books that actually cover something relavent, ie something more recent then vietnam. Oh and people like me wouldn't have to sit in classes with idiots who just screw around and create disruption.
Angyish hatesyouall
\www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1257831
my video (http://media.putfile.com/pactum)
retired
Angyish

Postby Worff » Thu May 10, 2007 8:00 pm

lol Ceruis .. I didn't say all peeps in miltary are brainwashed, soldiers are trained to follow orders and be soldiers, they even teach them how to believe and think about certain things *cough*cough*. This is fine :) , they volunteered for one, for two they NEED to believe and think a certain way to be effective soldiers and respond without hesitation and without questioning the orders every 5 minutes. But your suggestion of mandating ROTC training (no matter if service is involved or not) means they want EVERYONE to believe and think this way.. this, my friend, would be nothing short of large scale brainwashing. Hitler used films, training camps, and other propagandas to get the masses (especially the young and viril men) to support his agendas and follow him faithfully. He was a total maniac and had fucked up agendas, but it's still the same brainwashing technique. I'm all for ROTC or something similar -if- and only if they volunteer.

I do agree that many young people these days have no damn manners, no respect, no discipline, and some even no brains. Sure we need to do something, just not mandate ROTC type stuff.
Worff
Webmaster

Postby Angyish » Thu May 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Sure we need to do something

needed....to late now.
Angyish hatesyouall
\www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1257831
my video (http://media.putfile.com/pactum)
retired
Angyish

Postby Worff » Thu May 10, 2007 11:53 pm

lol Angy ... might have a point there hehe
Worff
Webmaster

Postby eeventinee » Fri May 11, 2007 12:51 am

goofy i dont know what world you are in, but GW and america are trying to do exactly that, just on a longer timetable.
"The path to geekdom for this child has already been paved in 12-sided dice and character sheets."

Long live the poor child named Firiona Vie
eeventinee

PreviousNext

Return to Real Life and Opinion