Warrior Tank 101

Moderator: Officers

Warrior Tank 101

Postby ThinkInk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:48 pm

So you’re a big, bad, belligerent raiding Tribal Fury Warrior!
Your hubris is immense!

Most of the time we don’t even get any respect:
“Just swing those arms tank boy!”

But there’s a whole lot more to being a raid tank then just being able to walk away from the keyboard while using auto-attack.

You have to pay attention to more then just your own group. You should stay informed of the health situation of your fellow tanks and be able to take over their “roles” in the blink of an eye.

Yes, roles.

If you are called to “Off Tank” a mob or take control of adds you want to equip your best and most damaging weapon set.

If your called to Main Tank <MT> the raid mob you want to equip your highest aggro weapon/shield combination.

But if you are just a supporting tank, or in the tank rotation, you should be using a weapon set that while damaging will not cause you to inadvertently grab aggro.
Every time you grab aggro out of sequence several things happen besides the mob now changing its focus to you. The healers have to scramble and re-target. Worse sometimes they don’t even notice that the aggro changed out of sequence, especially when the previous MT didn’t die and didn’t ask for a replacement. Most of the time you will die quickly, or quicker then usual. Then of course the aggro will shift again and for a time there will be confusion and several others deaths, if not a raid wipe.

We’ve seen this happen quite a bit lately and it has to stop.
The Gods of Sony gave all of us a “Bandolier” to store all the wasted weapons we acquired over time. Use it!
Forget that you can “Taunt” if you’re not the MT! <Move the hot key button if you must>
Don’t use the Combat Abilities or AAs that you know will get you aggro.
Pay attention to /rs.

Put yourself in the MTs boots and consider that this individual is using his/hers Combat Abilities and they are just going to waste.

Use a bit of common sense and Happy Tanking!
ThinkInk

Re: Warrior Tank 101

Postby Frogstew » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:42 am

Agree with Robag... unexpected tank switching is bad, especially with healer boxes.

On single-boss encounters, tank switching isn't as bad, because I'll see who is tanking in the boss's HOTT with Ozz. If it switches, I hit assist twice on Euelaine and am on the new tank.

On boss encounters with adds, like Big Bynn, this doesn't work well at all. When the crystals are up, Ozz is dotting them, so I just keep hitting my heal key on Eue. If the tank switches, I don't always catch it.

Ozz
Frogstew

Return to Class Specific Discussion