Fighter Archetype

If you are done with EQ or trying other games - chat about them here.

Moderator: Officers

Fighter Archetype

Postby Guardrail » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:43 pm

What is the job of a Fighter?

Fighters take damage, deal damage, and hold a mob's attention. Every Fighter is charged with that responsibility, and must do it as well as any other.

Which is the best tank?

They are all EQUAL. No Fighter is greater than any at the above function. READ the quotes below!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moorgard wrote:

We are not balancing classes the same way they did in EQLive. We balance the classes at the primary roles of the archetype, meaning that all subclasses of the same archetype do their main jobs just as well as the others.

There is no fighter subclass designated to do a lot more damage than another at the expense of tanking; that would not be balanced.

Monks are not intended to vastly outdamage paladins, nor are guardians intended to tank better than bruisers.

At the same time, the fact that all subclasses have different ways of fulfilling their primary roles means there will be some circumstances where one subclass has an advantage. Rough edges like this are intended, as they add to diversity and can sometimes drive the passions of players. Without those differences, we might as well never go beyond the four adventure archetypes because subclasses would all be exactly the same.

So yeah, there will be threads about how his class is better than my class, and how her combat art is better than my combat art. That kind of debate is inescapable. Reading the EQ message boards for so long has prepared me for the inevitable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moorgard wrote:
Something that you probably don't realize yet is that you never give up being your archetype.

What I mean is, even though you stop being called a fighter after level 3, you continue to gain abilities as a fighter. There is a list of arts and abilities that all fighters share all the way up to level 50 which are central to fulfilling the fighter's key role. Since the fighter is all about dealing physical damage as well as taking or redirecting it, all classes and sub-classes gain a common set of abilities that include such things as taunting and ways to redirect damage away from other party members.

You gain many more individually defined abilities at class and even more specialized skills at sub-class, but you always keep expanding upon your basic archetypal abilities. That's what I mean when I say balance happens at the archetype level. The same principle applies to all other archetypes as well.

Moorgard wrote:
If you make it so certain classes aren't as needed for groups, then certain classes won't be needed in groups. While you open up options for one set of players, you limit the options of others.

Our solution is to require certain roles for optimum success, but we increase the number of players who can fill those roles. So rather than wanting a specific class of tank, you'll know that any fighter can fill the spot you need. Your reputation and skill will determine how often you get groups, not what class you happened to pick on the day you bought the game.

Moorgard wrote:
Fighters take damage, deal damage, and hold a mob's attention. Every Fighter is charged with that responsibility, and must do it as well as any other. Some will use spells, some will use arts; some will use avoidance, some will use mitigation; some will wear heavy armor that makes them look like a walking tank, others will wear much lighter armor.

Will the sub-classes within an archetype look different? Yes. Will they have different types of quests? Yes. Will they share some skills? Yes. Will they have unique skills? Yes. Will one sub-class be better at its main role than another? No.

The biggest distinction will always be at the archetype level. The class level breaks it down further into specific ways of performing the core function. At the sub-class level it becomes more a matter of refinement and flavor, of using specific skills and abilities to form a distinct persona.

Debating matters of refinement and flavor, of course, is difficult and problematic until the game is released. Will the system be what you want it to be? That can't really be answered until you can see it in action for yourself.
Last edited by Guardrail on Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Guardrail Arcarean
Forest Stalker of Tunare
M.I.A

Pathfinder Arataurn Truebow
70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

Postby deladriendil » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:14 am

Group: Fighter
Primary Attribute: Strength
Key Knowledges: Martial, Weapon Knowledge
Weapons: All
Armor: Light
Sub Class of: N/A

Sub Class: Warrior
Key Knowledges: Tactics, Weapon Knowledge
Weapons: Axes, Swords, Polearm, Flail, Hammer, Mace, Staff & More
Armor: Medium
Sub Class of: Fighter

Final Class: Berserker
Key Knowledges: Berserk, Weapon Knowledge
Armor: Heavy, Plate Only
Sub Class of: Warrior

Final Class: Guardian
Key Knowledges: Protection, Weapon Knowledge
Armor: Heavy, Vanguard & Plate
Sub Class of: Warrior

Sub Class: Brawler
Key Knowledges: Brawling, Fists
Weapons: Hammer, Mace, Staff, Fists

Final Class: Bruiser
Key Knowledges: Crushing, Slashing, Piercing, Ranged
Weapons: Hammer, Mace, Staff, Fists, Thrown Weapons
Sub Class of: Brawler

Final Class: Monk
Key Knowledges: Tranquility, Fists
Weapons: Hammer, Mace, Staff, Fists, Thrown Weapons
Sub Class of: Brawler

Sub Class: Crusader
Key Knowledges: Faith, Zeal, Weapon Knowledge
Armor: Medium

Final Class: Paladin
Key Knowledges: Determined Faith, Sphere of Influence, Weapon Knowledge
Armor: Heavy, Vanguard
Sub Class of: Crusader

Final Class: Shadowknight
Key Knowledges: Determined Zeal, Sphere of Influence, Weapon Knowledge
Armor: Heavy, Vanguard
Sub Class of: Crusader

Advancement
Level 0-2: No Class
Level 3: Pick Group (Fighter)
Level 10: Pick Sub-Class (Brawler)
Level 20: Pick Final Class (Monk)
Level 50: Level Cap at Launch
deladriendil
Lurker

Postby deladriendil » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:56 am

Advancement is incorrect on all my posts now. They have changed it so that you pick an Archetype when you arrive on the Isle of Refuge. You are no longer a commoner for any length of time.
Deladriendil Megilindir
The Wandering Fier'Dal
PlainsWalker of Tunare
I Used to Live Here but Now I just Visit

Bookat Kittyboo
deladriendil
Lurker

Postby Guardrail » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:18 am

I haven't seen anything specific on changes.
Last i read is that by the time you end your tutorial which takes you around the island of refuge you would be level 3 and that is when you decide on archetype.
Hunter Guardrail Arcarean
Forest Stalker of Tunare
M.I.A

Pathfinder Arataurn Truebow
70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

Postby deladriendil » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:27 pm

I think I found that on the EQ2 forums. If you look at the Dev tracker Faarwolf is the one that posted it.

Something about it not working out for them that way so as soon as you get to the Isle of Refuge from the boat tutorial there is a player that makes u pick.

If you watch the german video here. I think it shows it that way.

http://www.mmorpg-planet.de/video/everq ... eq2big.wmv
Deladriendil Megilindir
The Wandering Fier'Dal
PlainsWalker of Tunare
I Used to Live Here but Now I just Visit

Bookat Kittyboo
deladriendil
Lurker

Return to EQ2 and Other games