Housing

If you are done with EQ or trying other games - chat about them here.

Moderator: Officers

Housing

Postby Guardrail » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:00 pm

According to EQ2 Center

There will be player housing introduced at the launch of Everquest 2. The players can own anything from a small apartment to a grand guildhall. These houses you can decorate as you like and even put up a forge or a wood shop to do your crafting at home.

There are different types of housing. The most common type of housing will be the inn housing. This will be more an apartment then a house. An inn house is a place for you and you alone. It’s for decorating and storing. If you want to show it of you will have to take a screenshot and publish it somehow.

If you are planning on inviting friends to your home, a plot house is what you need. This is a house, it’s larger than the inn house and it’s externally visible in the game world. The number of plot houses will be limited and thereby not available for everyone. They will probably be more expensive, and maybe it’s a good investment to buy a plot house early on?

The most expensive and grand of the houses is the guildhall. They come in limited numbers but what a status it is to own one!

SO it looks like all people will have an opportunity to own an apartment but only a few will be able to afford a plot house.
IMO i see the house kinda like the Horse was when Luclin came out. Kinda more as a status thing.
Hunter Guardrail Arcarean
Forest Stalker of Tunare
M.I.A

Pathfinder Arataurn Truebow
70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

Postby Serano » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:41 pm

it will be interesting to see if the housing costs will be bourne by in game plat or out of game subscription fees. It will be interesting to see if they do this in game item/ money for out of game fees thing they have been polling us about.

One perk - I really wasn't interested in the housing thing BUT you can get a pet baby dragon if you buy the deluxe version of the boxed game. I mean in Toon town - houses are a big part of the dress up aspect of the game - I am like meh - what do I care about a house. My house is bare with my bank, closet and a wall with pictures on it tha I can arrange in the shape of letters and numbers to pass secret codes - oh - in Toontown ALL chat is restricted to speedchat OR if you are secret freinds with someone - so if you meet someone in game but they aren't on ventrillo with you or know you from a board or in RL. So to work around their attempt at preventing predatory relationships with minors - you can't read the bubble text people write unless they are secret friens.

So instead you lure them to your house and then pass a code with your pictures then bam - you can chat. SUre enough on the first 2 people that I have done this with - they ended up being 9 and 12. BLEH!
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Guardrail » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:45 pm

one cool thing ..you can put forges and tradeskill equipment in your house so you can do all of it right there instead of running around the town.
Forest Stalker of Tunare
M.I.A

70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

Postby Serano » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:49 pm

I dunno maybe If I was more into dress up I would be more excited about houses. I mean if they sub as banks - then that is cool. But if it is just to have a pad - My chars prolly wont' need that. I also heard something about raids on peoples houses that would be gay. and not gay in a homosexual or happy way. gay as in a lame way. Interesting word that gay thing. Peeps use it in a dismisive manner with no association to those that swing the other way - yet they would take offence. IT must be tough to be so easily offended.
Serano
Officer

Postby Guardrail » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:57 pm

Yeah having a house would not be on my first list of priorities.
It will be interesting to see how that develops.
I do know they have changed the monetary value from base 10 to 100.
Meaning copper, silver and gold will be worth hanging on too. I would also guess, that a house would be pretty expsenvie and prices would be in platinum.
Forest Stalker of Tunare
M.I.A

70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

SWG

Postby bill » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:04 pm

the amount of bugs and exploits in SWG regarding housing is just one of a veritable sea of reasons I won't be making the expensive migration to EQ2 hehe.
bill

Postby Guardrail » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:28 pm

Of course im not completely positive of this, but any good software company would specifically learn from there mistakes and recode accordingly.

I would assume that the reason why everyone has an opportunity to have a house in EQ2 would be that its instanced, hence why if you want to show it off you need to take a screen shot of it.

As far as the expense of upgrading. I'm an IT geek anyway and work on computer servers everyday. With that being said, i hate slow computers and generally upgrade once a year. The way i see this is just another excuse for me to get a bigger and badder machine.
Forest Stalker of Tunare
M.I.A

70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

Postby kunglao » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:35 am

interesting how Serano starts referring to ToonTown and neither of you respond. I'm dyin over here, and you guys keep goin on about EQ2 ... never seen such a blatant attempt at derailing go unnoticed =)
Brother Kunglao Jones
65 Transcendent of Vazaelle, (retired)

World of Warcraft
Otoahhastis, 70 Tauren Druid
Quinlan, 70 Troll Rogue
Vankman, 70 Tauren Shaman

EQ2 - Mistmoore Server
Schfifty Fyve, 32 Warden
Kunglao Jones (reborn), 24 Monk
kunglao

Highscores: 1

Postby Kinlen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:17 am

Anyone ever play the old Ultima Online?
Good times, walking out of a town, bumping into a tent/house/castle every 5 pixels..........auh, the good ole days.
All limiting housing is going to do on EQ2 is drive 'realistate' through the roof, perhaps i'll create a char called Trump, buy up me up some PP, and start my own little virtual empire, that'll i'll sell to e-bay'ers world wide!!!
Yea that's it!!
That's the ticket!!

Kin a.k.a 'The Kinlen'
Kinlen

Postby Serano » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:22 am

whats "de-rail?" never heard of that.
Serano
Officer

Postby Bilnick » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:40 am

One possible way I see a house/guildhall being useful is if it contained a bank that would be accessible by multiple characters. A guildhall for instance, would contain a guild bank that could be accessed by any officer at any time, rather than being tied to a specific account.

If housing has no in game advantages though, I guess I look at it like I do a horse in EQ, useless.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Calthine Faeriesong » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:12 am

Was thinking about the "tripping over a tent every 10th pixel" issue.. and it occurs to me that since EQ has figured out Instanced Zones, they may do the same thing with housing. IE: 15 people have the key to one Inn Room, but it's different inside for each person.
Calthine Faeriesong
--------------
"Vengance is counterproductive, always. Not to mention the fact it gets your soul all sticky." Lady Sally McGee
Calthine Faeriesong
Lurker

Return to EQ2 and Other games