Bidding

All guild policies in one easy place. Know them.

Moderator: Officers

Postby nazar » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:29 pm

bah..i say we hold a poll..keep as it is..time limit..or close bidding..i think i take back what i said hah..time limit would be better
70 Mage on Vazealle (Everquest)
60 Warrior on Detheroc (World of Warcraft)
nazar

Postby Serano » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:15 pm

we had a poll using our old bid system of closed bidding got slam dunked for auctions. Looks like a time limit is a good deal. after 90 seconds of bidding - the auction officer calls 30 seconds left. then 10 second hack. then 5 second LAST CALL - then BAM - whoever thru down the highest bid at that point wins.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Bilnick » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:20 pm

I think that time limits is a bad idea. The idea of having open bidding is so that you wont have to overspend your DKP. Having a set time will defeat that. Going to a set time limit will essentially be going back to a closed bid system. When the loot officer says all bids end in 5 seconds, you essentially have one bid. The only difference between that and a closed system is that everyone can see the bids instead of the loot officer. Lets put it this way... if I know there is a 2 minute time limit on an item I will not even bother bidding until the last 5 seconds, it would make no sense to do otherwise.

For instance, Great Helm of True Vision drops. I want this item. It would be foolish to bid in the first 115 seconds, since all that does is drive the minimum price up. So I wait and the rest of the bidders have bid it up to 36 points when the loot officer gives the 5 second call. If I REALLY want the item I may throw a bid of 55 or 60 points on it, just to be sure I win the item. Just like closed bidding I don't know what the other bidders are willing to spend, so I have to possibly overspend for an item I really want.
Bilnick
Officer

bidding

Postby Lemme » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:57 pm

I agree that a time limit might not be great, but think the loot person could speed up the going once etc calls.
I thought the closed system worked well, and it doesnt lead to overspending as the winner gets it for whatever the second highest bid was, plus one. Kind of new to TF, so I wasnt around when we did it before, not sure how exactly it was handled or what went wrong.
It might speed up if we were all a bit more prepared. Know how many dkps you have, check out the mobs to be hit on Allakhazam or whatever site, and be aware of what loot drops that you want.
Lemme
Lemme

Postby nazar » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:32 pm

i think that uilea's origanal goal was to spead of bidding on stuff...and obvsioly that's a solution..but as bil pointed out he doesnt want to overspend points..well notice how the bidding goes its like..okay start bidding..everyone says 1 or 2..wait a few seconds..3..wait 30 seconds...5...serano says ok last call going to so and so..someone hurry up and throws another point in..wait 30 seconds..someone else adds to it..i mean u can get your bidding done in 2 minutes...its just ppl don't have to wait 1 minute to throw down more points when its rdy to be given away..its time consuming :cry
70 Mage on Vazealle (Everquest)
60 Warrior on Detheroc (World of Warcraft)
nazar

Bidding

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:02 am

I thought the closed bidding worked fine. It took away all these concerns.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby Serano » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:57 pm

well - since it was only 4 months ago that a majority voted to go to open bidding - I don't know that closed is the answer. we originally said that it would go open with the option to of course tune it to improve as we found necessary.

http://www.tribalfury.org/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15
Goofydoofy

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:28 pm Post subject: Open Bidding

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like open bidding because if I ever want something, I know for sure I'll get it.

http://www.tribalfury.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3143

I couldn't find the actual vote tho - I wonder if it was deleted. or am I smoking dope. did we have a poll or not? now I am wondering.
Serano
Officer

Postby Teennin » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:27 pm

I thought it was kinda a on the spot poll during one of the NTOV raids. Didn't we have to send tells with which way we liked better?.
Teennin
The Retard Patrol

Bidding

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I felt that way when I had 400 DKPs and I could out bid anybody! :-) Now that I've seen open bidding in the works, it appears to have people worried about how long it takes. When people can only bid once and then we are done, that speeds things up. Open or closed, I really don't care either way. I won't complain about however this ends up. It obviously needs to be fine tuned some way or another.
Goofydoofy

Postby Serano » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:49 pm

I am reasonably sure there was a poll online - but we delete lots of things over time and some disapeer.

But - I don't really have any vested interest either way - we could have another poll and confirm we keep with open bidding. Or to just add the timed bid or not.

I know that I am irritated by late bidders and frustrated twice last Thurs by people bidding after the going twice call while I was typing the sold message.
Serano
Officer

Postby rsix » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:23 am

You do a time limit and you open up all sort of problems. LDs, oh that one person could not type his bid fast enough, damn you lag, bah I had only counted 75seconds I call favoritism, etc etc...... Be careful if this is the way you decide to go with this.

I personally was a big fan of closed bidding, yes it can be a DKP sink, but it also means that items tend to get spread around more because ppl can't hoard DKP. If you are not willing to possibly dump a bunch of DKP on something, you obviously did not want it bad enough. I like the idea of DKP sinks, without DKP sinks the same ppl with tons of dkp keep recieving marginal upgrades (which means stuff sits in their bag that is better than gear member are wearing all the time), while some ppl who can't raid as much continue to get no upgrades. I would have no problem dropping most of my DKP on an uber item when we starting fighting stuff that has upgrades for me. It also moves a lot faster on the bidding process.

If open / auc style remains, I would highly recommend a min starting bid. "Serano says <uber_item_01> is up for bid, bidding starts at 20"; Something like that. Higher bid incriments would be fine by me too.

Whatever you guys decide to go with I'm fine with, just my thoughts on each of the main topics brought up so far..... WTB a raid target that I can wory about spending DKP on :)
rsix

Postby Ozzy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:10 am

If ya want my 2 cents, and no one asked for it, we have to do something that only relies on the officer, not guildies. There is no way we are gonna be able to force people into bidding multiples of 5 or some other method. Just look how hard it is to get people to listen to raid instructions, and they are typed out in CAPS many times in front of their face.

I think it would be a great idea to combine a minimum bid with a time frame. I understand the whole arguement of lagging and LDs, but I don't think they warrant not using the system. If you really want something and you lag, place your face up against a wall and you won't lag as bad. LDs happen....I say just deal with it.

I know that we almost ran outta time on the King Tormax hit last month and that was rediculous. We should be able to blow through loot from a mob in 10 mins (at most).

By the way, Happy New Year to all. Lets make 2005 the year TF goes fully elemental.

Ozzy
Ozzy

Bidding

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:34 am

I see this two ways:

Open Bidding: Possibly slow bidding that will save the bidder the most points and insure the person with the most DKP to get the bid.

Closed Bidding: Fast, adventurous, possibly point sink.

I like closed bidding by far after seeing both in play.
Goofydoofy

Postby rsix » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:59 am

I don't have lag issues, however with no time limit and it taking forever to get loot done now, we've had drama over lag and LDs in regards to loot... Just pointing out some possible caveats to each system.

The idea is to hopefully come up with a system that prevents as much as possible.... human error. Time limits are easily subject to human error, which inevitably leads to drama. I'm not a big fan of drama.
rsix

ok

Postby bill » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:12 pm

Hahaha, this makes me laugh. Only because this is the exact thing I envisioned when the idea of open bids was voted on.

On phpBB, if you don't touch a thread, it will disappear on its own eventually.

we had a poll using our old bid system of closed bidding got slam dunked for auctions.

Slam dunked haha, I must be delerious cuz that struck me as funny hehe.

Anyhow, I like the idea of bidding by like 1dkp up until say 20...then maybe we can force incremental bidding of 2's or 3's until a certain point and so on. As long as the officer's understand how it works during the looting process we could always remind the bidders if they forget.

Adding some reg's on incremental bidding WILL slow things down at first but it may have a decent pay-off. Good ideas guys and gals.

OH, one thing: We are growing like never before and the officers are travelling on new ground. Bear with us and be patient, we all want to make things easy and fast for everyone.
bill

PreviousNext

Return to Guild Policies