R.I.P. NHL

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

R.I.P. NHL

Postby Bilnick » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:20 pm

NHL season was cancelled today. I guess no NHL hockey until 2006 now. :cry

:finger Gary Bettman for putting hockey teams in such hockey hotbeds like Nashville, Raliegh, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Miami, and Columbus.

:finger To Bob Goodenow for waiting until it was too late to finally accept a salary cap. Everyone knew the players would have to agree to a salary cap, why wait until it was too late.

Maybe some of the weaker teams will fold (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Carolina to name a few) and the NHL will return to what it was in the late 80's/early 90's with high scoring talented teams. Keep the NHL in cities that actually support thier teams like Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, Boston, New York, Montreal, St. Louis, and quit trying to make hockey a national (United States) sport.
Bilnick
Officer

Salary

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:58 pm

And :finger to every athlete with unreal salaries which drive the cost of a ticket up.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby nazar » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:15 am

:finger
70 Mage on Vazealle (Everquest)
60 Warrior on Detheroc (World of Warcraft)
nazar

Postby wuupas. » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:42 am

:plzdie :finger: :fingers:
wuupas.

amen

Postby bill » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:53 am

Amen Bil. I saw that last night on the news, but you are wrong about one thing.

Only the 04-05 season was cancelled. Which was kinda obvious to anyone following hockey. However, there is no certain fate of the 05-06 season. Theoretically we could see hockey in the end of '05.

Oh, and :finger to Harry Sinden because he's a cheap bastard.
bill

Postby Bilnick » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:57 am

Yeah maybe they will settle before the start of next season, but as long as Bettman and Goodenow are running things, I doubt it. I figure January or February 2006 before we see the NHL again. I hope I am wrong.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Zyzzerzazz » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:35 am

it wil be back~
Zyzzerzazz Guildkilla
Tribal Fury

"Satisfaction guaranteed or 96% of your experience back!"
Zyzzerzazz

Postby Ayragon » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:39 am

hopefully they'll strike till Jan 01/06 at which time the NHL as an organization can fold all together....Have the owners start, lets say, NHL2, with whatever salary cap they bloody well want....With no players union, I bet they'll come crwaling back for what salary they're offered.

:plzdie greedy hockey players.........
Ayragon

Highscores: 4

Postby Serano » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:38 pm

with EQ out - people still follow professional sports? /boggle
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Uilea » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:15 pm

I can't go that long without hockey :sad: . At least CC has a great team, maybe I need to go to games more often.

Only hockey Ser, as it's the only sport worth watching.
Uilea

Postby Fnord Shoggothslayer » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:18 pm

Didn't Bobby Hull announce a new WHA that will begin play sometime in the fall? Will be interesting to see if that goes anywhere.
Fnord Shoggothslayer

Postby Bilnick » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:55 pm

Ayragon wrote:hopefully they'll strike till Jan 01/06 at which time the NHL as an organization can fold all together....Have the owners start, lets say, NHL2, with whatever salary cap they bloody well want....With no players union, I bet they'll come crwaling back for what salary they're offered.

:plzdie greedy hockey players.........

I don't blame the players really. The owners agree to these contracts and got themselves in the mess they are in, not the players. The owners just want the players to pay for it. No one forced the Red Wings to sign Niklas Lidstrom for 10 million a year. If the Red Wings couldnt afford to sign him, they shouldn't have.

The Red Wings make money, despite having the highest (or one of the highest) payrolls in the league. Why? Because people are willing to pay to see a Red Wings game, the local TV stations will pay big money to show the games. People buy tons of Red Wings jerseys and souveniers.

Putting teams in markets where people playing poker gets larger TV audiences than a NHL game is the league's fault. The owners wanted this because the expansion teams pay big expansion fees. Otherwise it makes no sense to put hockey in Nashville.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Ayragon » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:07 am

If Bettman and Goodenow would quit swinging their dicks at each other and actually talk they could have had an agreement a year ago....Let Gretzky take over.....he da man

taken from some web page....everything2.com

OWNERS

A hard cap on team spending to $40 million (about half of what the New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings spend and about $20 million less than what the Blues spend).
A reduction in average player salary to $1.3 million a season (the average salary now is $1.8 million - the average salary in 94-95 when the CBA was struck was $558,000).

PLAYERS

Even though the players have said they'd never accept a salary cap, they are proposing a luxury tax for any team that exceeds a salary cap (one thing that is just a little bit conflicting)
Five percent wage rollback
Modification of current revenue sharing system
Ayragon

Highscores: 4

Postby Bilnick » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:33 pm

The players agreed to a salary cap AND a 25% reduction in pay. The actual salary cap number is what couldn't be agreed on. The players wanted 48 million, owners 42 when the season was cancelled. (my numbers may be off slightly I am going on memory)
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Aboobaka » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Let's go watch Lacrosse! Oh, but the girls High School hockey tourney is on right now. :razz
Aboobaka

Next

Return to Open Chat