Hoax or Not, You be the Judge

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Hoax or Not, You be the Judge

Postby bill » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:21 pm

This guy was the new Mage correspondant with SOE regarding class balancing for EQ1. One of the things he was pushing for was scoffed at by the bottom 85% of the mage community. It had been changed with the 2/14 patch.

Right after I saw the change was made, and this change was causing some ppl to ask him to step down because this particular change affected him and very few others, I cruised over to the boards to see what he had to say.

Anyhow, without further pause, read the following thread and you be the judge.

http://forum.magecompendium.com/viewtop ... &start=150
bill

Postby raming1 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:14 pm

reading that made me sad =/

real or not~ seems the guy has a big effect on the mage community
Hey! You- guys!
raming1

hmm

Postby bill » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:25 pm

Its all very interesting to me not because of the details or why he may or may not have taken his own life....but at the reactions of those calling hoax.

Xalmat, the one who eventually locked the thread had originally hosted a pic of the online status of the board and it had Anduran logged in post-mortem.

I need to go read The Prince again I think..

And yes Raning...reading that did make me sad. Especially when I was excited to see they made the change to the Dagger of Evil Summons he was pushing for.
bill

Postby Serano » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:57 pm

could you mention what change he advocated - what it did - and why the other mages thought it wasn't useful> or is it buried in the thread?
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

ok

Postby bill » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:02 am

There is a dagger that I don't know where it drops, but it has a 2.0 second clicky of my 65 fire nuke. Recast time was way higher than the other classes clickies and they made the change with the DoN patch on the Dagger of Evil Summons.

I think maybe Anguish?
bill

Postby Uilea » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:18 pm

That's a Txevu/Tacvi drop. The wiz one is clicky SoS /drool

I'm confused - did he actually kill himself because the mage community was mad at him? Or were there other things happening?
Uilea

Postby fendeesha » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:47 am

His death was indeed confirmed by an e-mail from the coroner's office. If you want I can post the link. People who were flaming the above link, many have now posted appropriate apologies on magecompendium. Anyway, may he rest in peace now that people can stop fighting over whether or not he is really deceased.
The one and only (thank God!) FEN!
SIMPLY UN-FOOLED AROUND WITH!
fendeesha
Queen

Postby raming1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:22 pm

the coroners office sent an email to the mage boards for eq to confirm someone is indeed dead? sounds fishy to me =/

but after reading the other thread, i would buy it~
Last edited by raming1 on Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey! You- guys!
raming1

Postby Zyzzerzazz » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:26 pm

lol
Zyzzerzazz Guildkilla
Tribal Fury

"Satisfaction guaranteed or 96% of your experience back!"
Zyzzerzazz

heh

Postby bill » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:38 pm

The Coroner's office sent an email?

It would be fishy if I didn't think random ppl from the mage community hadn't sent emails inquiring about Matt's death.

The point of why I linked this to you folks here was both in amazement of ppl not believing that he was dead and wondering why they would deny something like that if not in denial of losing a fellow gamer.

Uilea, as the new SOE correspondant for mage class balancing, MANY magicians were asking him to step down because they considered the point of reducing the recast timer on the Dagger of Evil Summons was self-serving and abusing his newly appointed position.

I know that I would have been hurt by those types of accusations at least somewhat. Not saying this was why he killed himself, but one can't help but wonder if there was any influence.

Its also amazing to me how fragile humans truly are.
bill

Postby Aboobaka » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:16 pm

I'm surprised he didn't just move over to WoW :razz
Aboobaka

Postby Sezzy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:09 am

That's just horribly sad :cry

Having dealt with more depression myself in the past couple years then I thought was humanly possible before, I can definitely say that he had to have fealt there was no option left for him. I just feel horrible for him because I know how horribly he must have fealt in his last hours on Earth.
Sanabien
Halfling 66 Cleric of Vazaelle
My Magelo
Sezzy

Postby spiritlove » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:31 am

wow! :sad: wasn't there someone else who killed themself because of eq a couple of years ago? I remember reading about it before I started playing eq. Depression is a horrible thing :cry ... It is aweful when people die, but suicide is so hard to understand cause at least when someone is murdered you kinda know why they did it. You don't understand the person, but you get some closure. When people go the suicide route they leave us with so many questions and misunderstandings /boggle. I just want to say that I have a RL friend that tried to do the same thing because of the people in this game. I didnt understand it because it is just a game. If one of you get that upset about this game then please stop playing and find a new hobby. I take death really bad and I would hate to lose someone that I know from this game :cry It is hard enough to lose someone that I didn't know (sry, I just don't handle news like this all that well :sad: )
~Spiritlove~ :assshaking:
70 Cleric
spiritlove

hmm

Postby bill » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:57 am

I can't say that he killed himself because of EQ. I was more mortified that ppl were crying hoax. Then, I wanted to see what you guys felt about it heh.
bill

Postby spiritlove » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:00 am

I would reply on that but I can name 2 people on eq that has said that they were in a car accident, died and were kidnapped. It all turned out that they were starving for attention and it was a hoax! I think people should just watch who tells the story, look it up if you can and try and be a little more sensitive when you don't believe someone....
~Spiritlove~ :assshaking:
70 Cleric
spiritlove

Next

Return to Open Chat