Serano Has a broken back! No joke!

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

ouch

Postby eeventinee » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:54 pm

have a speedy recover, and give the mrs. hell serano
"The path to geekdom for this child has already been paved in 12-sided dice and character sheets."

Long live the poor child named Firiona Vie
eeventinee

Postby Heattas Mavencure » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:20 am

Get well soon Bro :sad:
Lord Virtous Defendere
66th Season Paladin
Venerable Heattas Mavencure
63rd Season Cleric
Former Tribal Fury Member
Heattas Mavencure

Postby Sameil » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:05 pm

Hope you feel better soon Serano!
Sameil

Postby Vnayin » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:18 pm

get well soon
Vnayin

Postby Serano » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:50 pm

Thank you for all the kind words and thoughts. was that a grats on HP? nice guys - sorry I missed it. well - cause well not only would I have been there - but well then I wouldn't have had a broken back either.

Regardless - my first 30 days of uncharged convelesent leave has started. for at least the next 30 days my job is to just get better and draw full pay. go army.

each week or so I go to ortho and they do xrays and confirm that everything is healing without surgery. after the first 30 days I might very well get more con leave. So while it sucks for me that my back is broken in two places - at least I get free time off work. yay.

It also sucks for my shop too. While I am busted - they are short one of 4 officers they are authorized so now - they have to cover my work. sucks to be them. THey can't get a replacement for me unless they reassign me somewhere else - cause I am still "in" the slot - even tho I don't go to work. sucks to be them. Funny the way the army is - since I have a broken back the shop suffers.

Tough for Serano, tougher for Mrs. Serano. I never could understand his facination with jumping out of perfectly good airplanes...
Fen remind your father that I was jumping out of AIR FORCE airplanes - nothing perfect or good about them. This does bring up jumping out of airplanes tho. During the exit out of the aircraft - it was a BRAND new jumpmaster that was serving as the safty (the guy that collects the static lines from the jumpers as they exit - very important). Everything went fine in the aircraft and my exit seemed fine. I had twists high in my risers (Risers = the strap that hooks you up to the actual parachute). Actually the twists were so high it was actually in the 550 cord more than actual twists in the risers (550 cord is what connects the parachute to the risers). SO I grabbed the risers applied outward pressure and bicycle kicked like youare supposed to - and the twist eventually went away.

I looked down and estimated that I only had abou200 feet left to the ground so I lowered my ALICE pack (back pack) and started to lower my rifle (which is held in an M1950 weapons case ( about 3 1/2 feet by 9 inches - about 2 inches wide). I looked down at the ground and saw that I was under 100 feet from the ground so I stopped messing with lowering the rifle and assumed a prepared to land attitude ( hands on the risers, chin on chest, eyes open) and didn't have a chance to pull a slip against the wind - didn't seem to be a problem - cause there wasn't much more than 3- 6 knots of laterald drift.

SO I hit with my feet and knees together - and succesfully hit the balls of feet, calf, thighs and buttocks. THe next step is supposed to be rolling along your side untill you hit your muscles under your arm - and then your roll over and stop when your feet complete a partial cartwheel. Typically - I ussually just stop on my arm - but sometimes i flip over if there is the right momentum. Well a couple nights ago - I hit up until my buttocks = then instead of rolling along my side - I snaped from my hip strait to my shoulder/arms - that whiping/snapping is what made the differance and is what allowed my L1 (lower back) and T6 (Mid chest)vertibrae to both break.

My L1 is broken on both sides of where it circles my spinal cord but the borken portions of my bones stayed right in place - and it appears so far according to x-rays that all will heal in place correctly. The T6 however they said is less sever even tho it is crushed. I think Crush I think worse than a break - apparently I will be a 1/4 inch shorter when this is all done. Regardless they say that based on that break - the healing on T6 isn't a real big deal - altho it will be permanantly be errr - less thick.

So - what to do with all this time off at home. hmmm...
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Uilea » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:01 pm

Shit Ser =/ Take it easy and back in game soon, stop breaking yourself!
Uilea

Postby fendeesha » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Just one request pls hun, no raid leading while high on pain killers? You just don't have as much experience raid leading while high as do other people in this guild! I am sorry that you got hurt, that really sucks hun. Please be nice to your wife as she has to live with you through out this ordeal. And get better. Soon.
The one and only (thank God!) FEN!
SIMPLY UN-FOOLED AROUND WITH!
fendeesha
Queen

Postby Adlewiese » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:35 pm

Wow, I leave town and this happens?

Hope your recovery goes well. My thoughts are with you and Mrs. Serano. I have been in her shows for years.
Adlewiese VonTrapp - TFshaman
Adlewiese

Postby Serano » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:08 pm

MY wife is digging she gets to flex her nuturing prowess with her hubby for once. she typically is irritated that her hubby is so independant.
Serano
Officer

Postby Bilnick » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:08 pm

Well thats good that you will recover without surgery. Are you in alot of pain? (hopefully not) Get well soon. :thumbup
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Serano » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:29 pm

Oh - they kept wanting to give me morphine and I was like how about percoset? and so at first they gave me that. Then they were like - ok now you are going to get morphine and I was like - um... isn't that harder than Perc? and if perk is working... uhh stick with that? /nod. NOPE - you WILL use morphine.

So they gave me morphine thru an IV and oddly enough - didn't do jack. SO I asked for more - and that knocked me out. THen the next day they started me up with perc whenever I asked for it.

The first 20 hours (Midnight thru 8 PM Thursday) I would have pain except for when they gave me the drugs. I got my first pain relievers at about 5 AM - 2 hours after I finnaly got to the hospital. Now - they have this thing where they don't want you to have pain relief while they are diagnosing you. it took them about 90 minues from the time I hit the ground to the time they loaded me on the ambulence. About 20 miuntes later they changed me to a 4 litter ambulance. and about 20 minutes after that we ( we were waiting for the 4th injured jumper - that guy had landed with his THigh thru a picket stack OUCH!) we finnaly left about 225ish AM - and arrived at Womack army hospital at about 310 AMish.

So Anyways - I woke up Friday morning about 4 AM or 5 AM with some moderate pain and they gave me perc - and I konked out for another 3 or 4 hours. Then when I woke up and thru the rest of Friday I didn't need any painkillers really. in the early afternoon the Physical therapy LT - showed up and about that time I had a headache. SO I asked for asprin - and they were like "ASPRIN IS THE DEVIL!" freaks. SO for a HEADACHE - they gave me percaset. insane.

Anyhow I didn't have pain the rest of the day and then at night I was uncomfortable enough to need some help to go to sleep. So instead of giving me some sleep aid pills - whats the answer? "Well your chart only says Percaset" No duh - for pain - Gimme some sleeping pills I don't need a narcotic - I just want to zonk. nope. So I took perc whenever I woke up thru last night.

OH - so I talked to some major before I left and they added Ambian to my perscription today - so I brought home ambion to konk with and perc to relax with. I still have some flexerol and Valium from some time before when I had a pinched nerve in my scalp - so I got back ups if I have serious probs.

But to make a SHORT story extremely long - nah I ain't in that much pain. SO long as I keep my brace on - and am careful with range of motion - looks like the worst is behind me.
Serano
Officer

ouchy

Postby Irish » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:26 pm

hun I am sorry you got hurt get well soon

Hug
IrishHealer Sunspeaker 75 Cleric Of Tunare, EVER SO PROUD member of Tribal Fury
I am NOT a DRAMA QUEEN .....I am the DRAMA GODDESS!! GET IT RIGHT...
Irish

Postby Guardrail » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:19 pm

Sorry to hear it Serano... hope you get well soon.

Take care,

Mortycha
&
Hunter Guardrail Arcarean
Forest Stalker of Tunare
M.I.A

Pathfinder Arataurn Truebow
70 Ranger EQ2
Guardrail

Injury

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:03 pm

Good news is, you get to do nothing cept sleep, shit, eat and play EQ!
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Late!

Postby Nadiah » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:10 am

Sorry this note is so long after this happened, Ser...I have actually had to start working at my job, so less time to read TF's forums (utter sadness) Tae had to tell me what happened. Anyhoo, I hope that you have a complete recovery...and if you run out of percosets, I am glad to donate all mine...those damn doctors are definitely pushers!! Also, you aren't so far away that I couldn't give a hand if you and Steph need anything, seriously!!
Take care,
Nadi
Nadiah

PreviousNext

Return to Open Chat