D + D Gets the Props

Postby Zyzzerzazz » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:05 am

Zyzzerzazz Guildkilla
Tribal Fury

"Satisfaction guaranteed or 96% of your experience back!"
Zyzzerzazz

heh

Postby bill » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:23 pm

My generation of gamers -- whose youths were spent holed up in paneled wood basements crafting identities, mythologies, and geographies with a few lead figurines -- are the filmmakers, computer programmers, writers, DJs, and musicians of today.

He (the writer) then goes on to discuss how he will soon be introducing the game to his son. I feel the same way .... but I also felt that way about all of my old video games like Coleco and the OG Sega Master System and all that shit.

Ever go back and play the old shit? It sucks. Great nostalgia...shitty games hehe. I wonder if D&D will feel the same sting of the passage of time?

Also, I wonder if I should consider 3rd edition a better benchmark or not...I have all 2nd edition stuff and tho my collection is massive...2nd and 3rd edition just basically don't jive.
bill

Postby Serano » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:38 pm

I have first edition Ad&D books somewhere back before it was 1st eddition. (hint: World War I wasn't WWI until WWII came out)

so I have no idea how Edition 2 and 3 would or wouldn't Jive. Let alone where my AD&D books are. I think I have a DM, PG, monsters, and a dieties and Demigods books somewhere. THere might ave been one other book I got but I really dont' know. Come to think about it -these things are prolly all at my moms house if she didn't dump them out. We do have boxes of old teenage stuff of my sis and I in a cubord in the Garage still - they are prolly in there. I should find them and EBAY them.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

hmm

Postby bill » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:44 pm

I know back in the stone ages of internet trading, 1st edition out-of-print shit went for good $. I used to hunt old collectable books. Be surprised what's lurking in Cambridge stores.

I bet if they aren't killed you could get some decent scratch. BTW if you find them, PM me with whatcha got. May not need to get to Ebay.
bill

Postby Serano » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:49 pm

I have no idea of their value. I do know that with Star wars 6(episode III) comming out it is time to pull out all of my Episode I toys and get rid of them before I move this Summer (if I have to move).

Damn sometime I need to unload these 3300 Comic books too. havn't bought more than 20 comic books since 1995 - so they are pretty much all 80s comics from Marvel. with one box of poor quality 70s books from marvel that landed in my lap here and there.
Serano
Officer

Re: heh

Postby Bilnick » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:01 pm

bill wrote:I feel the same way .... but I also felt that way about all of my old video games like Coleco and the OG Sega Master System and all that shit.

Ever go back and play the old shit? It sucks. Great nostalgia...shitty games hehe.

Atris was over visiting yesterday and we were playing a few of the new games I received for Christmas. We played some Links 2004, Halo 2, and Call of Duty, before I put in Atari Anthology. We had fun playing some of the old games that we played as a kids. Space War, Combat, Surround, Flag Capture, etc. I still found them entertaining as two player games for short bursts at a time. As one player games they do suck. And the graphics are terrible. In fact during one game, my wife asked what the game we were playing was called. I told her it was Space War. She said they should have called it two triangles shooting dots at each other. Oh well, she doesn't get it. Warlords to this day is still THE best four player game around.

I still have all my old systems and games I have collected over the last 25-30 years. I pull out the Atari a couple times a year, and the NES more often than that. I have found that a good game does stand the test of time. The original Zelda is still fun nearly 20 years later. Tetris is fun today and still will be 20 years from now.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby fendeesha » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:31 am

Before we moved to CA a year ago, I sold all of rel's D&D books. Notice I didn't say AD&D? Before AD&D, AD&D II or III or what ever there was an extremely fun game called D&D... LOL
The one and only (thank God!) FEN!
SIMPLY UN-FOOLED AROUND WITH!
fendeesha
Queen

Postby Serano » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:30 am

I didn't notice any BIG diff between AD&D and D&D. I like the organization and greated details that were found in AD&D from the old D&D player and DM guides.

We used modules from D&D with our AD&D campaigns.
Serano
Officer

Postby Skel » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:45 pm

For anyone who has ever played D&D (NOT me) or even wondred what the hell all those pimply teenagers spend their weekends in their parent's basements doing (the non-kinky version), i present to you:

The Dead Ale Wive's Rendition of 8-BIT D&D (link below)
http://www.cybermoonstudios.com/8bitDandD.html
Skel

Postby Ozzy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:55 pm

Thats pretty freakin funny..... :jester

Ozzy
Ozzy

Postby kunglao » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:20 pm

hehe ... yeah, I had tears in my eyes when I first heard this ... but I saw it as Summoner Geeks

I am a D&D player, and this brings back SO many memories.

<EDIT> Damn ... link wasn't workin ... anyway, go to IFILM and do a search for summoner.
Brother Kunglao Jones
65 Transcendent of Vazaelle, (retired)

World of Warcraft
Otoahhastis, 70 Tauren Druid
Quinlan, 70 Troll Rogue
Vankman, 70 Tauren Shaman

EQ2 - Mistmoore Server
Schfifty Fyve, 32 Warden
Kunglao Jones (reborn), 24 Monk
kunglao

Highscores: 1

Postby Kiyun » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:47 pm

THE biggest reason AD&D 2.X and AD&D 3.X don't jive, is because there is NO MORE THAC0. Remember how much of a pain it was to teach the new guy how to make an attack roll? Now everything is all about how high you can get the numbers. I'll put it this way: Since I left EQ I started playing AD&D 3.5 at the card shop after the Yugi tournaments are over. I have a level 4 rogue with an 18 (YES, 18) AC, and if he gets hit, it's because someone rolled a nat 20. The Paladin has an AC of 23 for crying out loud. There are a lot of other changes, that have to do with skills, feats, saving throws and the like, but I won't bog down the board with it. It's maintained the status of a kickass game, but it's mega-different from what it once was. Took me forever to get the hang of the new attack rolls. But at any rate, at least I'm getting my RPG fill since EQ is gone. (Oh and I HAD D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2.0 AND AD&D 2.5 before someone decided to steal my storage container and it's near $600 worth of gear, choose your participants wisely folks)
Kiyun Bladefury

The Tools of Captain LD

Sorry, back from LD. Is it dead yet?

Just because you haven't given me a reason to hate you (yet), doesn't mean I am your friend.
Kiyun

Return to Open Chat