Oph needs information!

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Oph needs information!

Postby Ophidion » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:29 am

So i am doing a research paper on addictive videogames (clever aint I) and I really could use some help by a few of you filling out the survey posted below. If you respond please try to elaborate as much as you can and try to avoid yes/no responses.. TY =)

educational status:

1) How long have you been playing Everquest and how did you get started?
2) How many hours per week do you play, and why?
3) How do you prioritize Everquest over or under other activities? How?
4) If you were not able to play Everquest for an extended period of
time (say one to two weeks) do you think you would miss it and why?
5) Are there any feelings, emotions, actions or demeanors that you
feel you can only express through your character in game?
6) Why do you play everquest and not other games?
7) Why do you feel that Everquest is such an addictive game (if you
believe that to be the case.)?
Hey everybody! I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt, and my butt smells, and I like to kiss my own butt.
-- Ophidion

http://eq.testmagelo.com/profile/645186
Ophidion
The Retard Patrol

hohoho

Postby bill » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:40 am

you are so gay~

:banana
bill

Postby Zyzzerzazz » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:49 am

24 Years old
Human, or white w/e
B.S. Business Admin
B.A. Philosophy

Started playing EQ March 2001

I play 6-10 hours a week, why? its fun and relaxing

I get the shit i need to get done that day then play EQ.

Would def miss EQ after 2 weeks because i like the progress you can attain with every hours you play.

I display Hate mostly.

Eq is the most foufilling for me over any other game. The interaction with RL ppl is a huge + for eq.

EQ is super addactive. The easily viewed progress with every min played, the interaction with others, the ambiguity (sp), and the displacement from RL, forget your worries, play EQ.
Zyzzerzazz Guildkilla
Tribal Fury

"Satisfaction guaranteed or 96% of your experience back!"
Zyzzerzazz

Postby Ophidion » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:13 am

Bill fill out the goddamn survey before i choke slam you :) :sad: :? :razz :cry :finger :guitar :help :jester :love :monkey :thumbup :wavey :banana :boxing :bluejump :stupid :plzdie :puke :spank
Hey everybody! I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt, and my butt smells, and I like to kiss my own butt.
-- Ophidion

http://eq.testmagelo.com/profile/645186
Ophidion
The Retard Patrol

Postby fendeesha » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:29 am

White

Majored in English Lit and minored in Communication, a few hours shy of my B.A.

1) Have been playing EQ three or four years, got started to watch what hubby was up to.
2) Perhaps 5 hours a week, not nearly enough! I play to be with friends and kill ugly stuff.
3) Unfortunately, EQ comes last for me. Home, children, hubby all get priority. How come hubby can put EQ before anything but work???
4) There have been times when I could not log on for a couple of weeks. I DID miss it, mainly because I missed my friends and keeping up with what they were doing. That is what MB's are for!
5) Not really, I am pretty much myself. I do demand a little more love in game than I do in rl, I am not THAT needy in rl (don't ask hubby!)
6) I started playing EQ because of the graphics and content, stayed because of friends. Although with the mass exodus to EQ2 and WOW I don't know. I have recently purchased EQ2 and purchased WOW last night... LOL
7) In the words of my esteemed husband, "Because if I can't be a millionaire in real life, then, God damnit, I WILL be one in EQ!"
The one and only (thank God!) FEN!
SIMPLY UN-FOOLED AROUND WITH!
fendeesha
Queen

Postby Jahras » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:36 am

white
undergrad

1) almost 4 years, a friend wanted me to play it with him

2) it varys depending on whats going on, some weeks have peeked near 30 hours, others around 10

3) It's all about who is online and what they're doing. Normaly I get all my work done before i log in EQ, but if there is someone online that I really want to see, or a raid going on that I really want to be at then I will let my work wait for the early early morning

4) happens a lot, and no I don't miss the game itself, I just miss the poeple in it.

5) I just tend to get my agression out in game, but otherwise no

6) Because I know more people in EQ than other games.

7) It is "addictive" because of the way people form social bonds in it, and the ease that the game accomidates communication. If EQ was a single player game, I would have quit after a week, but in that first week I met people that I just kept loging back in to see.
Jahras

Highscores: 2

Postby Serano » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:49 am

race: Wood Elf
educational status: Bachelors philosophy

1) How long have you been playing Everquest and how did you get started? May 01 - HOMM got old and I got a better computer, and was no longer in Germany with Dial up by the minute and I had been looking for EQ since I booted up my Apple II + bak in 82
2) How many hours per week do you play, and why? couple dozen, hobby
3) How do you prioritize Everquest over or under other activities? How? I don't have much of a social life. I work - have a family -no need to go out. I plan to play EQ whenever I am going to be at home at night starting about an hour before my kids go to bed.
time (say one to two weeks) do you think you would miss it and why? Yah I missed EQ when I didn't play in Iraq. what I missed was paling around with the people I know on line. didn't really worry about char advancement or gear or other in game advancement - it was more of the time spent. When I returned I didn't feel like I had fallen behind = was nice to get back with the peeps.
feel you can only express through your character in game? no
6) Why do you play everquest and not other games? there is so much to do in the one game - playing another would detract from the time needed to accomplish in game advancement
believe that to be the case.)? Its not addiction - its dedication. The game has built in time sumps that create an artificial time requirement. It only rewards you with char advancement for x hours played so if you don't play you will not advance - hence more time played is required to progress - less time played keeps you further from the current advancement you might be interested in.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Serano » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:58 am

Quote:
"Having a good rep in a video game is like having a good rep as a dog turd on the front lawn... IT DOESN'T MEAN DICK AND NO ONE FUCKING CARES" ---Ophidion

I have been wanting to address this for a long time. I know this has been your sig for a bit and you are prolly proud of the sentiment.

Here is the problem in the reasoning. a good rep in a game isn't what is being nutured. if you are a dick in a game and a stand up great guy in RL - you are a phony either in game or in RL. if you are a stand up guy in game and in real life then that is fine. But being a dick and earning a bad rep in any environment is a poor reflection of you, your family and your values.

So while no one ultimatly would care in RL if you have a good rep in a video game- those within the community that recognize you have a good rep in a game - and as a consequence becomes friends with, play with, respect or just feel good around - it does mean dick, in that, an online game environment is a social outlet for 98% of the people that participate.

ultimatly an online identity is a reflection of reality or of being a phony - which is ultimatly - another aspect of reality. Don't get me wrong there is role playing - and I can appreciate the entertainment value there. But being a dick is being a dick. I could role play that - but to what ends? to get it out of my system in a fake world instead of the real one? If that was the case - there are prolly more problems than can be fixed in a game.

So I disagree. having a good rep in a video game does mean dick. It means that you can either act like a stand up guy or you are one.

I just this was a pretty good place to address the concept since you are doing research on gaming culture.
Last edited by Serano on Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

hehe

Postby bill » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:06 pm

puttin that degree to work eh Capt?
bill

Postby Morbier » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:16 pm

How come you address the Everquest players and not WoW players ?

My rep in game is "He don't know what the hell he's doing", pretty much follows my real life rep.
Morbier
Lurker

Postby Eilsel_Seaspryte » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:21 pm

Hah... you fergot to ask gender...

race: I defy racial labels.
educational status: Highschool grad, P/T College student

1) 3 years, started April 2001. The EQ habit spread like a virus... I got infected by my RL friends, 2 of whom got infected by their mom... And the mom, she had caught it from Best Buy.
2) 25+, because I'm a bum.
3) I set time aside for EQ through the week, like weekends and evenings.
4) 1 to 2 weeks isn't a long time.... But I would miss it, because then I would have to resort back to daydreaming or drawing. Heavens forbid I do anything 'constructive' during my leasure time!
5) None.
6) There is only enough time in 1 day for EQ and RL...
7) I am addicted to the friendships I have built through EQ- however sad that may sound (although the killing of gods is a thrill). The people, not the gear- nor the 'uber', are the main reason I keep logging into EQ.
Eilsel's Candy Armor
I keep death in a bottle.
Eilsel_Seaspryte

Postby Malcore » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:57 pm

Morbier wrote:My rep in game is "He don't know what the hell he's doing", pretty much follows my real life rep.

Amen.

- Mal
Malcore

Postby Bilnick » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:12 pm

race: White
educational status: BA Chemistry

1) How long have you been playing Everquest and how did you get started?
Since February of 2001. A couple of RL friends started playing EQ.

2) How many hours per week do you play, and why?
Between 10-30. I have fun playing EQ.

3) How do you prioritize Everquest over or under other activities? How?
I don't give EQ priority over any activity really. I have never missed any social event to play EQ. I'm married with three children, going out is something I do a few times a month, not 3-4 days a week when I was younger.

time (say one to two weeks) do you think you would miss it and why?
I have gone on vacations, work trips, etc for 1-2 weeks and missed playing EQ.

feel you can only express through your character in game?
No, I am pretty much the same online as off.

6) Why do you play everquest and not other games?
I do play other video games. I have Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, GBA, etc.. EQ and now EQ2, are the only PC games I really like though.

believe that to be the case.)?
I suppose EQ can be addictive. I think the reason people play EQ for a long time is that it is constantly evolving, unlike 99% of all other video games. Compare EQ to a Zelda game, for instance. Once you have beaten Zelda there is no compelling reason to go back and play it. EQ is not like that, there have been 8(?) expansions so far for EQ, there is always something new to do, or something new on the horizon. When EQ stops releasing expansions, it will die.

Post your paper when you are done Oph, I would be interested in reading it.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Kiranna » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 am

race: White
educational status: Cosmetologist and some college courses

1) How long have you been playing Everquest and how did you get started? Ive been playing since 2001. I actually despised the game before I started, I would here the start up song and want to kill someone. Then somehow the BF got me playing. Then it was all over, couldnt quit.

2) How many hours per week do you play, and why? About 2-10 hours per week. I have BF and daughter that need alot of attention, so dont get very much time to play.

3) How do you prioritize Everquest over or under other activities? How? I get everything done before I log on, otherwise it doesnt get done.

time (say one to two weeks) do you think you would miss it and why? Yes because of my friends in game.

feel you can only express through your character in game? No

6) Why do you play everquest and not other games? Ive never been a big gamer. Got into some of the Atari games and Mario 3 when I was younger =p But since then have not played anything till EQ. Prolly wouldnt have if not for the BF.

believe that to be the case.)? I strongly aggree with Bilnick on this ques. But also the for me is the friends you make in game.
Kiranna

Postby Ayragon » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:21 am

race: Human
educational status: College grad

1) How long have you been playing Everquest and how did you get started? Have played for about 2 years, after buddy discovered it.
2) How many hours per week do you play, and why? probably about 5-12, I'd play more if RL permitted. Home life, working early mornings, and being oncall 24-7 makes it tough to dedicate time
3) How do you prioritize Everquest over or under other activities? How? I'd say, home - work - rec activities - friends - EQ. Although I have ditched my buddies to attend a few raids.
time (say one to two weeks) do you think you would miss it and why? I think I'd definately miss the environment, to me its soothing and a stress relief....although if I could listen to "Ding .....you're 65" a few times, I might be ok.
feel you can only express through your character in game? No
6) Why do you play everquest and not other games? Not enough free time to break it up with other games.
believe that to be the case.)? addiction might be too strong a work, its time consuming and requires dedication to advance.
Ayragon

Highscores: 4

Next

Return to Open Chat