HELP!

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

HELP!

Postby fendeesha » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:09 pm

Ok, Rel will be home in a few hours, and I have GOT to get his computer fixed! So, it goes like this... Due to the post I left about him gambling away over $400 this past week, I was rather upset with Dear Hubby. So when he logged his trader on and left for work, I didn't STOP the kids from messing with his computer. I figured it would serve him right if they logged him off or ported his happy ass to some badcamp_01, right? Well, see, the thing is, now his computer don't turn on any more. The light is on, it SAYS it's on, the router shows the light saying it has a connection, but the monitor says there is no input from the computer. I have checked all of the cables and what not's. Can't figure this out, and am getting desperate! If he comes home and finds this like this, well, it won't be pretty! Please, any techie's out there, HELP! Don't let a druid die like this.... :smackbottom:
The one and only (thank God!) FEN!
SIMPLY UN-FOOLED AROUND WITH!
fendeesha
Queen

hey

Postby bill » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:14 pm

Hmm, sounds like my monitor issue.

I doubt that it is the same issue tho.

Quick diagnostics check:

[ ] The monitor is getting power (ie it shows a no signal message when not plugged into the computer when turned on/light turns on)

[ ] The CPU is getting power (fans are buzzing, you feel vibration, its making its happy noises)

[ ] The connection from CPU to monitor is good (the no-signal bit doesn't show on the monitor)

Yes or no on these few should help figure out what's up.

edit
I know you said check the cables but check them again. You do NOT want something you swear you checked to be the root of your worries. Check again. If you are OCD, check 100 times.

I'll give you my situation just so you know what I am dealing with.

My monitor goes black. My green light on the monitor goes from solid green to flashing yellow.

I then unplug the cable going from the video card to the monitor. Then I plug it back in.

Then I shake the monitor vigorously from left to right. No external cables seem to have any impact on its ability to function, which makes me believe its the tube or something of the like.

Its a 4 year-old Sony Flatscreen monitor. Well, it will be 4 this december.

When I shake it, sometimes the image flickers back on screen and then shifts back to normal like it would if you had just turned it on while the computer is still portraying an image.

Sometimes, it doesn't come back. Sometimes it just sits there, inert, not telling me if I am receiving a signal or not. Unplugging it from the video card and then back into the video card seems to allow the fix to happen.

The shaking is also mandatory. I have had 0 success without the shaking. Make sure its vigorous. No other shaking or cajoling will work.
bill

Re: hey

Postby fendeesha » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:24 pm

Quick diagnostics check:

[ ] The monitor is getting power (ie it shows a no signal message when not plugged into the computer when turned on/light turns on)

The monitor light is on, and it says "Monitor is working, input 2 no signal, activate by computer, check signal cable, check input selector"

[ ] The CPU is getting power (fans are buzzing, you feel vibration, its making its happy noises)

The computer fan is on, and you can hear it power up and down when you turn it off and on. The lights are on on the tower.

[ ] The connection from CPU to monitor is good (the no-signal bit doesn't show on the monitor)

I checked all the cables (I seriously hope) and can't find anything loose/unplugged.
fendeesha
Queen

Postby Conan » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:41 pm

You check the prongs in the head of the cable? I have a perfectly good monitor that won't work because one prong is broken out.
Cimmerian Warrior 70 Winters
Clan Tribal Fury

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1161561
Conan

Postby fendeesha » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:03 pm

I am going to check again, and I will also check the prongs, but it was working fine till the kids fuxxored it up real good! They are both sleeping like angels now, so now is a good time to fixxor it up real good! LOL, kk, going to check the cables, AGAIN.
fendeesha
Queen

Pay Back

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:05 pm

See what happens when you try and give out your own revenge instead of coming over to my place?

Try turning everything off and unhooking everything. Then hook everything back up again and turn everything on. Any juice or anything around the monitor base the kids may have poured down the top?

Does the monitor have a little light on saying it has power? Do you have another monitor or computer you can hook up to see which is the problem? IE. I have a computer, come on over.

You first need to figure out if it's the computer or the monitor. You will just be wasting time trying to fix one thing if it's not the thing that needs to be fixed.

It's only a computer. Tell him he could have bought a brand new one for the $400 he blew on his own little vacation.
Last edited by Goofydoofy on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

problems

Postby Luthe » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:05 pm

could also be that maybe the videocard might be loose from the motherboard. or that maybe the card overheated and died.
Luthe

Postby fendeesha » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:09 pm

Checked the cables, nice and tight, nothing bent/broken/loose or anything. I did notice however that there are two input ports on the back of the monitor. It is (and has always been) plugged into port 1, however, could the kids have clicked around and changed the port that the monitor checks for input? I just re-read my post from earlier, it says no input from input 2. ???
fendeesha
Queen

Postby fendeesha » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:11 pm

Well, I switched the plug from input 1 to input 2, dunno how a three year old and a one year old managed to re-route the monitor, but they did apparently because it works from input 2. /sigh, I am NOT going to try and re-route it back to input 1. It works and that's all I care about at this point. I am going to log his trader back in before he gets home...
Thanks for all the help guys! And Goof, you could always come and visit ME!
fendeesha
Queen

Kids

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:11 pm

How old are these kids, how many kids were there and how much computer knowledge do these kids have? How are you able to posts these messages if the computer doesn't work?
Goofydoofy

Postby fendeesha » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:12 pm

We have TWO computers, mine and his. I don't let the kids play with MY computer! Silly boy!
fendeesha
Queen

Visit

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:13 pm

Ya, I could. But then we'd have to deal with your husband and kids.
Goofydoofy

Postby fendeesha » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:16 pm

There is always nap time while Rel is off making a living to support us! Besides, he'd probably be happy to find some one to keep me company while he raids! ROFLMAO!!!
fendeesha
Queen

Return to Open Chat