10000 volts through body

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

10000 volts through body

Postby Jibvalde » Tue May 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Today a friend and co-worker fell into an area and got him self between a 18kv piece of buss work and ground for those that dont no AC generating systems that should be about all of you, the voltage you can measure to ground is about 10,500 volts ac he took that from his hand to knee and head then again through his chest when he fell into the switch gear system tripped out right away but still left an arc flash burn over 20% of his back 10% of his chest ,the really wierd part is he lived ive never heard of someone taking 10kvac through there body and living. This is going to fuck me up for a long time but i know what time we tripped the unit off line and it was 50 minutes later until i found him ya he work for me his safety is my primary job and i let him down, hospital say he is stable and look like he will do fine but i know this kind of injury can take several days fully manifest they have him in a drug induced coma for now only way to keep the pain from driving him mad. so may not see you all for awhile or may be fired tomorrow who knows.

take care all Jibvalde..

Jibvalde
Jibvalde
Guild Leader

Re: 10000 volts through body

Postby Worff » Tue May 19, 2009 7:35 pm

That's very sad Jib, could have been worse for sure... but you said he fell... so can't blame yourself, no one can watch someone every second of every day and keep them from falling down. Sure hope he's ok and hope you can see to not blame yourself.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Meso » Tue May 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Get a grip Jib. A horrible thing but not your fault unless you personally are totally slack about lockout/tagout procedures. plain and simple he was in the wrong place and NOT following safety procedures. Was he an apprentice? Or an older guy? Statistically the worst things happen to the guys that think they know it all and get slack.
You can beat yourself up or take a proactive approach and assure it doesn't happen again, refresh everyone's training, and beef up policy.
The power I work around is far less yet still deadly. I've seen the flesh melted off a man's palm from latching onto some 480 and not being able to let go until it knocked him six feet thru the air.
He didn't look around to find someone to blame. He made a grave mistake and knew it.
Anyone working around power must respect it, wear the right protection, follow the correct procedures, or find a new profession.
I hope he recovers. I hope you recover too.
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Postby Bilnick » Tue May 19, 2009 8:19 pm

What Oerin said.

Almost every industrial accident/injury I have seen was usually the fault of the injured person. Usually they were not following safety procedures or being careless.

I hope your friend recovers from his injuries.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Horcrux » Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 pm

It's a version of survivor's guilt. Even if there is no conceivable way that you could have caused an accident, you still have flashbacks and get caught up in thoughts of the hundred ways you could have prevented the accident. Some people are much more susceptible to this than others. I'm a big one, which is why I would make a horrible doctor.

I've been through the same thing a couple of times. Particularly one instance when I was running an inflatable game at a carnival. I had just strapped a 11 year old girl into it, and stepped off the inflatable when a micro burst came through, picked the game up about 30 feet in the air, carried it a bit, then rolled over ejecting the girl to fall all 30 feet onto pavement and skid for about 20. She could have died easily, but came out of it with mostly minor injuries. Obviously I didn't command the wind to come through at that moment, but I still dwelled on the fact that if I was quicker I could have caught her, or I could have anticipated the weather, or this, or that. All these scenarios are highly illogical, however I still blame myself for not being able to prevent the accident.

I've been told to get a grip, even by the girl whom I feel I almost killed. So I know how you feel Jib. It sucks. However, the memory of the incident for me (as will probably be for you as well) is a reminder of the awesome power of nature, and what can happen when certain things are taken for granted, or shortcuts are taken. And I learned the lesson, as well as did you, without anyone dieing when someone could easily have.
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Postby Ayragon » Wed May 20, 2009 6:21 am

that is sad news indeed....but as all have stated....its not your fault. Use outlets like EQ to take your mind off things and relax for a while, situations like this will pan out and become distant memories soon enough. Glad your friend will be ok.
Ayragon

Highscores: 4

Postby Ceruis » Wed May 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Get drunk. You know it works when you stop remembering.

:cheers
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Postby Serano » Wed May 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Damn.

Well - amazing the guy is alive with that much KV thru his head. lucky or unlucky devil depending on his recovery, and how you look at it. Granted better to have not fallen in there to begin with. At least you found him when he was still alive. coulda went the other way.

Good luck with the aftermath.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Bilnick » Wed May 20, 2009 9:19 pm

It is not the voltage that kills you, it is the amps. Anyone who has ever got nipped by sparkplug wires has had a 40,000V shock, but almost no amperage.

I got nabbed by 480V once. It was a stupid mistake on my part. I was putting a safety guard on the primary side of a 60Amp disconnect but did not turn off the power drop, figuring I only had to put a couple of screws in it. Next thing I know I was on my ass dazed and confused, lucky thats all that happened. The actual shock felt like someone was pounding on my ribcage with a sledge hammer. I was in my mid 20s back then and stupid. That episode taught me that it is worth it to take an extra 5-10 minutes to lock out the machine properly.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Serano » Wed May 20, 2009 9:36 pm

I have to laugh - because peeps ALWAYS like to say about its the Amps not hte volts or the Watts not the joules.... or whatever.

As this happened in a power factory - I imagine the volts, amps, watts, flux capacitance was all plenty to kill.

Meanwhile - whats the chances of getting Bilnick out of the wrapper for this Saturday?
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Bilnick » Thu May 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Serano wrote:I have to laugh - because peeps ALWAYS like to say about its the Amps not hte volts or the Watts not the joules.... or whatever.

As this happened in a power factory - I imagine the volts, amps, watts, flux capacitance was all plenty to kill.

Meanwhile - whats the chances of getting Bilnick out of the wrapper for this Saturday?

Yeah obviously a power factory would be capable of delivering the amps needed. If I remember correctly only a couple of amps are needed to kill a person.

Odds of me playing on Saturday are extremely low. Memorial Day weekend is the first weekend we spend at the lake, and we do not have any internet there. Unless the weather forecast changes drastically, I will not be home.
Bilnick
Officer

Postby Jibvalde » Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Well great news today K full name with held, had his breathing tube removed is talking and doing great wow a few tons just lifted off me will get to go see him tomorrow,

and thank you all for your kind words and wishes ive been told it by many and i hope i still believe it everyday. and outage is over with can start living again. see you all soon.

Jibvalde
Jibvalde
Guild Leader

Postby Hilf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:08 pm

dont lightning bolts have millions of volts of electricity, and people still survive those. glad to hear he's okay though
Hilf

Return to Open Chat