Frogstew's PC busted

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Frogstew's PC busted

Postby Frogstew » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:06 pm

My computer failed just before this weekend. I've spent my free time this weekend trying to fix it, to no avail. It appears something inside may have shorted and the PC power supply fuse blew. I can't even get the hard disks to function in another machine (two disks RAID 0).

I'm going to see what local store repair options exist... but it may be a bit before I'm online much.

Frogstew
Frogstew

Re: Frogstew's PC busted

Postby Worff » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Frogstew wrote:My computer failed just before this weekend. I've spent my free time this weekend trying to fix it, to no avail. It appears something inside may have shorted and the PC power supply fuse blew. I can't even get the hard disks to function in another machine (two disks RAID 0).

I'm going to see what local store repair options exist... but it may be a bit before I'm online much.

Frogstew

Wow, sorry bro... I know how it is.

Are there any popped capacitors (drum type usually) on motherboard near the CPU? Any other visible "burnt" components or places on motherboard? If not it could have been the power supply itself that shorted, or it could have absorbed a surge. (must be the Chinese testing their chaos abilities on our hacked power grids :P)

What type of hard drives (IDE vs SATA)? Maybe try each one by itself in another PC (with no other hard drives attached)... hopefully your drives survived, that would blow.
Worff Makesitso - Magelo | EQPlayers
Worff
Webmaster

Highscores: 42

Postby Serano » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:41 pm

yah, but if he was running RAID 0 then they won't work independently until format.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby Frogstew » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 pm

They're both SATA, running in RAID 0 = the data is striped across both for performance. The downside is that if either drive blows, you lose everything. The RAID configuration apparently is stored at the start of each drive... and if that gets corrupt, you lose your data. After lots of online searching, it looks like my data is lost... I can get other PCs to recognize the drives, but they can't read anything off them. Others have had similar issues. Fortunately, I have a recent backup, so shouldn't have lost too much data.

I contacted a local shop and they'll be able to build me a new machine using the existing components. I need to buy a new case, power supply, and motherboard; plus pay them a $50 assembly charge. I can reuse the processor, memory, drives (I hope), and graphics card. Hopefully everything works out :)

Frogstew
Frogstew

Postby Jimbop » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

That's the problem of running in RAID 0 format. It helps on performance for sure, but it really sucks if a failure happens because then you are pretty much out of luck.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Serano » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:56 am

RAID 0 is great, so long as you run 3 hard drives. 1 Hard drive for OS and data, and your Raid Array with nothing but applications. Actually ideally, 1 hard drive for OS, 1 Hard drive for data then a two Sata raid 0 array.
Serano
Officer

Postby Jimbop » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:06 am

Yeah those setups are decent to run off from. RAID 0 has to be properly set up to make full use out of the benefits you get out of it. This means more hardware is needed to make sure that if problems occur that you won't suffer from these problems later.
Jimbop Nolastname
80 Returning Magician
Jimbop

Postby Hetikar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:39 pm

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong with mine, and I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting my PC problems, So when I called GeekSquad they wouldn't help me unless they came to my house which was $129.95..I said Eff that...took it to my buddy's PC shop and he said he has never in his life of working on computers seen anything like it...he said he would have to reformat it to get it working properly and I was worried about losing all my saved info...(It was storming, got a power surge and threw a braker, and when it threw the breaker it TOTALLY WIPED my computer, right down to the OS) so when he got it in the shop he calls me up and says that my saved info was gone before he even got a hold of the computer..he installed new OS and shit and got it runnin....
Hetikar

Postby Frogstew » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:03 am

I'm taking it down to a local computer assembler and service shop (Hard Drives NorthWest) this morning. I'm not sure if they offer same-day service. To be on the safe side, better to expect me not to be at the raid tonight (nor lead it).

Frogstew
Frogstew

Postby Serano » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:34 am

I can't believe those companies charge that much. OMG.

glad I can trouble shoot. most of the time, it turns out one of my components fries. The trick is finding out which one without buying the wrong replacement. Funny thing is I can troubleshoot and make my stuff go, And I barely know how it all works! hah hah. luckily you just take out stuff and put other stuff in. Which I had more spare parts, but most of the spare parts are already running computers.
Serano
Officer

Postby Frogstew » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:29 am

Yea, I'm only able to do limited trouble-shooting (very, very limited). Power being completely out is beyond my means. They said it should be ready within 5 days... so end of next week. They are able to re-use the video card, processor, memory, hard drives, and CD/DVD. Hopefully it wasn't one of those parts that fried!

Frogstew
Frogstew

Postby Worff » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:11 am

Serano wrote:I can't believe those companies charge that much. OMG.

Heh well... some PC probs take a shitload of time to get done, especially if people insist on trying to save the data on their hard drive. If a PC shop spends 4 hours fixing a comp they can't really just charge 50 bux or something low like that or they'd be out of business. The problem is that cookie-cutter PC's have become so cheap that if it's over 100-150 bux to fix lots of people opt to buy a new one. Custom PC's are far more expensive, but still there is a fairly low limit those owners seem willing to spend on repairs.

Exception being data recovery... I've charged 200+ for that before because it takes up the bench all day or sometimes 2 days.

Most shops will just reformat when they can't find the problem in short order, but many people don't have their windows CD or their CD Key either (lost or damaged), so then they end up having to buy a Windows version for 100+ too.

PC's aren't just a clock-radio or a toaster, they are expensive lol and complex at times to diagnose and repair. Hardware can be tricky but the real time-eater is software issues.

BACKUP YOUR DATA OFTEN!
Worff
Webmaster

Postby Horcrux » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Worff wrote:Most shops will just reformat when they can't find the problem in short order, but many people don't have their windows CD or their CD Key either (lost or damaged), so then they end up having to buy a Windows version for 100+ too.

Windows is pretty lenient in giving out XP CD keys anymore. I had my CD key sticker on the case of my custom PC, then ended up having to change the case due to heating issues and forgot to keep the CD key. This obviously became a problem when I had to reformat like 2 years later. I called Windows and had a new, free, CD key within 10 minutes, without having to do any checking to make sure I was legit (even though I was).
Lord Horcrux Soulshard - 80th Deathcaller - Retired

Nathan: "Brother versus brother. It's almost biblical."
Peter: "My brother can't walk through walls! Who are you?"

HEROES comes back September 15th with a 3 hour premier!
Horcrux

Highscores: 12

Postby Worff » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Yeah that helps sometimes in specific situations like yours... but many times the CD itself it missing or damaged. Also, a computer shop may have a CD to use for the install and try to use your CD Key, but if the version isn't exactly the same it will not work. For example, Windows CD's made for Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc may all say "Windows XP Home" but a retail version from WalMart of "Windows XP Home" CD Key will not work using a disk made for one of these proprietary PC makers.

I've run into about every snag you can think of reinstalling people's OS hehe... it's more common than you think.
Worff
Webmaster

Postby tauaunt » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:16 pm

This seems to be a on going thing, Thanks Frog for the return call. And to give you an update, my other CP is now in the process of getting another hard drive put in. Look forward to seeing you and mel online again soon!
Thanks again bud. :cheers
tauaunt

Next

Return to Open Chat