You want me to do what? Tank? We gonna wipe...

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

You want me to do what? Tank? We gonna wipe...

Postby ThinkInk » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Tribal Fury had 2 upper echelon, experienced, long term raider “Tanks” when I was accepted into the guild.
One was Jumjam and the other Drigarx.

I felt very fortunate to be playing alongside these knowledgeable players, as I was sure they would impart, some if not all, their knowledge to me. Unfortunately neither of these players were good communicators. If I asked sometimes they would answer. At times their answers took for granted that I should already know what they were referencing.

Robag was not my original main. He came into being when my long time group (not all the same people as now) was doing LdoNs on a daily basis. Our then current group warrior didn’t want to play the tank part and my Ranja wasn’t capable of surviving long enough for us to win.

I don’t remember exactly what my stats were when I joined TF but all our current warrior apps are far better then I was. (Level considerations included)
I had never before participated in a raid. My raid virginity was lost on a PoT raid that I was piggied into my first app night. I am sure that by now everyone of you know that I broke TFs record for the most number of deaths by any one individual in a single raid, on that night.
I died 14 times. Yet that night will always stand out in my memories as the most fun I ever had in EQ, and I have been playing since late 2001.

This post is rapidly turning in a short story in length so I will get to the point. By practice and observation I have concluded the following:

1 – Raiding Warriors MUST train ALL their defensive AAs prior to worrying about their offensive ones.

2 – The MT has one and only one duty: To control mob positioning and KEEP aggro. The MT isn’t there to make any parses and we really aren’t DPS. While dps might make a difference in a group setting we can’t match the damage output of our casters.

3 – We (the rest of the guild) have to learn to control ourselves when the mob is first engaged to allow the MT to gain and establish aggro. {Where is Adlewiese?} When the MT is comfortable that he has control he will/should call Assist in /rs. If assist isn’t called in 30-40 secs please feel free to jump in.

4 – The designated MT should engage the mob using Fortitude, then switching to Defensive + Main weapon/Shield combination. Your Shield AAs in “Class” are part of the “defensive” classification. Your healers will Thank You for it! If you don’t have a shield get one! Wirlem drops a good one and we might be able to do him with the members we currently have.

5 – Do NOT use Taunt if you are not the MT!!!!! I know that its just force of habit and I still slip occasionally.

6 – Tank rotation switches should be announced in advance in /rs so that our healers have time to adjust. I usually announce mine when my Defensive is down to 10%.

I have tried just to cover the basics here and do welcome any comments and observations that anyone has. Opinions are always welcome as long as they aren’t demeaning or insulting.

Also if you do not understand the reason why we use certain abilities as opposed to others that look more relevant, please don’t be shy and ask!
ThinkInk

Re: You want me to do what? Tank? We gonna wipe...

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:41 pm

I'll tank for ya.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Goofydoofy

Postby ThinkInk » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Forgot to mention one thing:

All tanks please /join TFTANK during raids. It makes communication so much easier.
ThinkInk

Postby Meso » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:55 pm

I've seen Goofy tank. he's not kidding
Meso
Officer

Highscores: 3

Postby Ceruis » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Goofydoofy wrote:I'll tank for ya.

Worst doodad tank eva....his chanty is way better :banana
Alan - Fenny's little helper

App Officer: Tarvas (that me, Ceruis, idiot)

Ceruis, Tarvas
Wife: Mechell
Ceruis
Officer

Highscores: 1

Postby Frogstew » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Robag rocks!

Frogstew
Frogstew

Postby Serano » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Robag is a perfect example of Something I was trying to explain to folks a few years back, when they were concerned about too many DPS tanks. I wanted them to understand that today's DPS tank, is your future, loyal, well balanced guild member. Maybe, they might tank later. Maybe they might become a guild leader. But to poo poo someone based on gear, level, AAs or even experience can be a mistake you never tracked.

Give someone a home in Everquest, and you might just build a family.

Shut out a good person that wants to join because of some class or role being filled, you might never know how valuable they woulda been.
Serano
Officer

Highscores: 144

Postby bill » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 am

I miss tanking with Waystiin. Good times!
bill

Return to Open Chat