Computer Troubles

A Place for All Non-Tribal to Get together and talk with our members

Moderator: Officers

Computer Troubles

Postby Shoolace » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:19 am

I purchased a new computer about a year ago, and from the get go I had problems. It's an HP, don't have the model or anything since i'm on campus, but I uninstalled the default Vista and installed XP and got all the new drivers. About a month into having the computer it would start freezing randomly, sometimes while playing games sometimes while doing nothing at all. After talking to online help and getting told i'm screwed, I started removing RAM. After I took out the first stick it worked fine without any problems, until last week. I installed a wireless card and from that moment on it started to freeze again. This time it seems to freeze more when it is left alone for hours while I go to campus, although sometimes it still freezes on startup or just after. Not sure what the problem could be this time, but if anyone had any suggestions it'd be really helpful.
Shoolace

Re: Computer Troubles

Postby Ulrith » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:10 pm

did u replace that bad ram? and with what? and did u leave the other original ram in there? Id start pulling sticks again, or run the HP diags on the system.
We are Borg. Your Technological and Biological thingies will be added to the Collective.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Ulrith

Postby Shoolace » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:14 pm

I pulled the 500 mb stick and it is still out of my system. I have 2.5 gigs left, in 2 1 gig sticks and 1 500 mb sticks, that are still running in the computer.
Shoolace

Postby Telocbea » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:15 am

If it is ram, you can run a program called memtest86 (believe, need to burn to cd, restart system, boots off cd instead of windows). Takes a while to run, especially if you have lots of ram but is good at detecting issues.
Telocbea

Postby Sulsciste » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:15 pm

thats strange - i would normally guess HDD or power supply failure, but the comp just freezes and doesnt reboot right? check all of your connectors on the motherboard, you might just have something loose. if that doesn't work, come steal my old computer...that would give me the insentive to finish removing my old files on it. /shrug
Sulsciste

Postby Shoolace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 am

I ran that test Telo and it didn't find anything, but since then it hasn't froze at all (been about 2 weeks.) Thanks all for your help.

I do have another problem that is irking me that maybe someone can help with. On my PC whenever I click the firefox icon to load it up it takes anywhere from 15-45 sec to load the browser. The computer isn't working the entire time, so it seems to be a problem on firefox's end. Internet explorer loads the browser, but it locks up for about 30 sec while it loads the page before I can click on anything. I haven't tried the easy fix yet, uninstall and reinstall, but was wondering if anyone has experience/heard of this problem and any solutions? Thanks in advance.
Shoolace

Postby General » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 am

Shoolace,

The problem sounds like software. If it were hardware, you would be seeing a more frequent occurance.
I'm not saying that it's not possible to have a hardware issue, but unless there is blinding evidence, software is a
better start. I will have to say that Vista machines being downgraded or upgraded (depends on who you ask) can
pose some unique issues for the system. Systems are now built by manufacturers with Vista in mind, not XP.
All the suggestions everyone offered on this post are good points. I'm just trying to get you to observe another
facet to the equation. I do this work every hour of everyday until I get home..... to play EQ.

As far as the firefox goes... make sure to keep your temporary files cache cleared (its under Tools > Options > Privacy)
and make sure you don't have any "Add-ins" causing the sluggishness.
General

Return to Open Chat